Cooling a Tech pack on the track

Established Member
How big of an issue is cooling when tracking a Tech GT350? I wanted the sync3 and seats in the tech pack slightly more than the cooling and Recaros...

In the Road and Track 2016 performance car of the year review after crowning the GT350 winner, they mention it ran hot and it's not clear to me they were referring to the brakes. I am sure in working for the trophy the car was excercised well.

Regardless, heat is the enemy and I am planning to buy the coolers and add them in and I'm not sure which I should prioritize. Although, since the GT blew its tranny 20 minutes into the Daytona race I am thinking the Tranny first but would like to get some opinions.

Cheers

cluscher

Established Member
How big of an issue is cooling when tracking a Tech GT350? I wanted the sync3 and seats in the tech pack slightly more than the cooling and Recaros...

In the Road and Track 2016 performance car of the year review after crowning the GT350 winner, they mention it ran hot and it's not clear to me they were referring to the brakes. I am sure in working for the trophy the car was excercised well.

Regardless, heat is the enemy and I am planning to buy the coolers and add them in and I'm not sure which I should prioritize. Although, since the GT blew its tranny 20 minutes into the Daytona race I am thinking the Tranny first but would like to get some opinions.

Cheers

My recollection is they were talking about engine temps at or about 280 degrees. Tech pack does come with engine oil cooler (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so tranny and diff coolers would be your need. Ford has bluntly stated you want these coolers to avoid overheating during sustained track use. Most track day sessions run 20-30 minutes, so if it were me and I had a tech pack, I would undoubtedly be adding the coolers. There have been no brake overheating concerns documented.

Last edited:

Established Member
Yes, I just spent the day at TWS in my tech pack car and in 60 degree weather I thermal limited in every session, usually the last 3 minutes of the session and I just came to the pits. First time it happened surprised me cause it seems like the engine shuts off but actually it rev limits at about 5k RPM.

When it happens the oil temp is mid deflection at 225, the head temps are about the same and the water temp gauge is mid point, so I don't think is oil or engine related...

I will probably cool the trans first, may do both... Anyone know how to get the ford part numbers for all the hardware to add these to our cars? Maybe a dealer that will do good pricing?

That issue aside, I set my personal time record of 2.00.04s and the brakes are fantastic. I had a hard time being consistent in the car, but a lot of that was my shifting limitations which will improve. My favorite two laps are hard to put into words, I had the seatbelt locked very tightly merging me with the car and as I rode the car it did whatever I wanted in a really cool way. These were not the fastest lap, but the way the car drove was...

and then thermal limit

oldmachguy

Established Member
I set my personal time record of 2.00.04s and the brakes are fantastic. . . . and then thermal limit

That's an impressive time, esp if you've had very little track time in that car. FWIW, my PB's were 2:08 in non-stock '04 Mach 1 (mainly suspension and brakes, some motor), and 1:58 in '06 Z06 on EMTs (tune and brakes) - but plenty of time in each car at that track. And cooling was an issue in the Z in summer.

Again, good time. Even with a driver mod, car sounds sporty. Now I really want an R.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I will probably cool the trans first, may do both... Anyone know how to get the ford part numbers for all the hardware to add these to our cars? Maybe a dealer that will do good pricing?

Try SVTP's vendor section. I've had great luck with Mike at Autonation, Steve at Tasca, as well as a number of others. Prices are very competitive and the service is excellent.

Established Member

Now I really want an R.

Me too, reducing rotating unsprung weight is the ticket, I'm already thinking to drive mine until the R's hopefully don't have ADM and trade up. I bet mine holds it's value ok and getting a R is probably a better value than adding R wheels for 10K. It might be a while though and I'll still need to cool it to use it...

oh, I've had the car 2 weeks and crossed 1000mi today and that time was in the third session in it ever. I followed lines of an excellent driver in a modified Z/28. First session was an embarrassment, second was moving around 2.06's, all afternoon was low 2.01's - 2.04's. Tighten the nut between the steering wheel and the seat, sub 2's for sure.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Yes, I just spent the day at TWS in my tech pack car and in 60 degree weather I thermal limited in every session, usually the last 3 minutes of the session and I just came to the pits. First time it happened surprised me cause it seems like the engine shuts off but actually it rev limits at about 5k RPM.

When it happens the oil temp is mid deflection at 225, the head temps are about the same and the water temp gauge is mid point, so I don't think is oil or engine related...

If that happened with a 225 oil and CHT then IMO you've got something else going on. That's not that hot and shouldn't cause a problem. I'd take it to your dealer and have them check the car.

FWIW Ford Performance is working on kits to add the R/TP trans and diff coolers to the tech and base cars.

Established Member
It's official, with a visit to my local ford dealer they confirmed the tranny is throwing the overtemp errors. I actually don't think my car is any different than any other would be, and if on a sub 60 degree day it cannot complete a 20 minute session without over heating the trans, then the tech optioned car is simply not engineered for ANY track use. Buyers beware.

They are taking my data to SVT, and I will lobby to have them install the transmission cooler. I think we should all pull together on this since in my opinion the issue is so bad that I believe it can occur or is marginal under normal driving conditions on a hot texas day and therefore all these cars should have shipped with a transmission cooler period. Remember the hotter it runs the shorter life it will have.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
... if on a sub 60 degree day it cannot complete a 20 minute session without over heating the trans, then the tech optioned car is simply not engineered for ANY track use.

...Remember the hotter it runs the shorter life it will have.

If this is indeed the norm it is most definitely an eye opener for sure.

Regarding transmission life, your statement should be in the context of heat above and beyond a specific threshold. The transmission, when run within the limits of the factory design parameters, should be just fine.

Established Member
I was reading about the transmission in a article on this site and discovered another issue

"If you plan to take yours to the racetrack, you should consider the Track Package or the R-model, as they both feature an air-to-oil transmission cooler fed by a gerotor pump in the transmission. In applications without the cooler, the transmission features neither the pump nor the plumbing needed to support the cooler, which is mounted right behind the front fascia and fed ambient air."

So installing a cooler will not be so trivial. I blame myself for assuming it would be generally usable for light track use, but I am quite disappointed.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Just a suggestion...it may prove worthwhile to integrate a trans scoop such as those sold by FRPP. Not sure what the data would show for this specific car, but IIRC, FRPP was claiming a 10* reduction in trans track temperatures with its use on S197 cars.

b4409

Established Member
So I am ready to go pick up a White tech package car available at msrp but this is troubling. My race car doesn't have any coolers. Seems to work fine. But it also doesn't have any sensors to put it limp home mode. Makes me think I should wait for an R. I suspect there will be plenty available when the hype dies down.

Bruce

krt22

Established Member
I would jump on an MSRP deal now, wont lose much much value in resale if you do find an R down the line

b4409

Established Member
I would jump on an MSRP deal now, wont lose much much value in resale if you do find an R down the line

I hear you and appreciate the encouragement but owning one does make it difficult to jump on the next one, color preference, etc. And I know I will track it hard at some point. I understand they are going to make a lot of these cars so they will not be immune to depreciation. Or maybe they will do really well, I hope. Tough call. Anyone see an R, I'm a buyer too-day :)

bpmurr

Established Member
This heat issue is concerning as I just placed an order for a Tech pack last week.

Established Member
It absolutely is a consideration and I am thankful to the suggestion of the cooling scoop... I contacted Steve at Tasco today and ordered a 15/16 Mustang trans cooling scoop and I will be testing it next month. Excellent suggestion! I am pretty optimistic it will allow me to get through a session, and I think the limp mode protects the car so I hope the scoop get's me over the hump.

I have thought about the issue more and I think a dominant heat source is the exhaust pipes running in the tunnel with the trans, so the scoop should push out a lot of the heated air and cool the tranny. I am trying that first and depending on the result I may try and insulate the exhaust pipes in the area too.

I'm optimistic and if these easy options work then I am satisfied... Still planning an R in the future too, so I don't want to invest much more in mine, just make it good enough til the ADM goes down on the R, I am not sure that will ever go away since they are only making 100/yr.

I'll be at the track in March and post an update then. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

krt22

Established Member
It absolutely is a consideration and I am thankful to the suggestion of the cooling scoop... I contacted Steve at Tasco today and ordered a 15/16 Mustang trans cooling scoop and I will be testing it next month. Excellent suggestion! I am pretty optimistic it will allow me to get through a session, and I think the limp mode protects the car so I hope the scoop get's me over the hump.
)

I dont believe it will fit without modification since the under belly pans are different, I think someone on BMO called FP directly to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread