Correct clutch for stock mt82 and whipple state 2 kit

Jason S550

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a Whipple stage 2 kit for my 15 GT and went ahead and did some supporting mods including half shafts, OPG/CS. Shout out to Logan at Beefcake by the way, he answered a long list of questions I had and after hours, which is pretty cool. Anyways, now I'm looking at a clutch. Everywhere I look, people are saying nothing but good things about the Mcleod RXT 1000HP clutch for people with similar mods. Question to you guys:

1. Is the RXT going to wreck my transmission (running the stock MT82)
2. If so, what clutch is recommended for my power level
3. Anyone stick with the stock clutch with a whipple stage 2? I have heard reports of the stock slipping on the first dyno pull. Trying to get perspective on what should be replaced now prior to the kit being installed and what I can let slip for now until it breaks.

Zemedici

Established Member
Just put in a McLeod and be done with it. And it depends on how you drive the car. We've got a couple cars running around on stock clutch at 650-700whp, but obviously the cars are not daily drivers

Jason S550

Yea, this isn't my daily. Its only going to be driven on the occasional weekend. I have heard reports that the RXT grabs hard and could damage the MT82 on even moderate launches and so a little slippage is recommended, ie the RST as opposed to RXT.

whatsup62

Established Member
Depends on the rest of your drivetrain. I took out two MT82's with the RXT...however...I also had a one-piece aluminum driveshaft and drag radials which allows for no give in the drive train. If you are running the stock drive shaft, or a CF one, or non-drag radials you will probably be fine with the RXT.

Jason S550

At the moment am running MT Street Comps on the rear (285s). Obviously these will need to be replaced to handle the blower.

Buellitt

Established Member
Got a spec2 clutch and steel flywheel with braided line after the pedal stuck to the floor and melted the stock setup. It’s done well.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread