Craftsman Hand-Tools Now Made in China

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Noticed this myself a few monthes ago when I broke a torque wrench and recieved an inferior replacement.

breoland

Established Member
I loved craftsman for the sole purpose of it being made here in the USA
No reason to go and get tools there anymore

65fastback2+2

Established Member
probably why Ive had two craftsman ratchets break on first use in the last year.

grrrrrr. my dad raised me on craftsman stuff too. this will break his heart lol

86merc

Established Member
Would I rather have a USA made part? Of course I would. But I would not say the quality is worse on the Chinese made items. It may or may not be. Depends on what Sears requests and approves. Not every thing made some where else besides the USA is automatically 'junk'.

I went in to Sears to buy the thin profile wrenches like above. I did happen to catch the one was made in China. I though for a second and decided to buy a 3/8" & 1/2" in both USA and China versions. I have not used the USA versions other than the first day to see the difference. Which I didn't feel a difference. The Chinese versions have been in use for what has to be 6 months now. I have not had one issue. Not once did I fear for my knuckles pulling hard on them because I was afraid the mechanism may let go smashing my hand into the part I am working on. I am not a mechanic by trade. But I do a fair amount of work in my garage on cars.

I am not saying the should be made here, they should be cheaper if made over seas, they are just as good or better. I am just sharing what I have encountered so far.

appn88

Established Member
the new craftsman ratchets are junk my buddy had to return like 5 of them because they all broke, they always reverse if a bolt breaks loose, they you bust your knuckles.... sad

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
The craftsman 1/4" ratchet I had lasted me 4 years of abuse until the internal gears finally broke. I took it back and got another one, I was given a rebuilt one with someone else's initials in it. That damn thing broke in like 2 weeks and I was using it for R/C car stuff. I took that one back and wanted a NEW one. Got the new one and noticed that Made in China crap. Its broke again...

Damn it....

corruptor

Established Member
I'd venture to guess the Taiwan made stuff is just as good as the Made in USA stuff. They make most of our electronics anyway. The difference in metal in the Made in China ratchet is surprising.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I've had nothing but problems with craftsmen ratches for the past few years so I switched to MAC.

2008vistablue

Established Member
Don't you ever wonder why the price doesn't come down when the source this stuff out of country? If I were elected President I would a 35% at the register discount for all goods sold that are labeled 'Made in China'.

Companies like Sears justify this because their competition does it all while pocketing higher profit due to the the lower product cost coming from low cost countries like China.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I'll buy a Chinese made wrench when a little Chinese guy pops out from under the hood and does the work for me.

Snap-on still American made?

E

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
damn this sucks, i have like 400 tools from craftsman. it all started with my 250 piece tool box for like 200 bucks.

fortunately i never had issues, but i have been looking into selling that setup for a new one from a different dealer.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
The sad part is that many American's don't care and will keep buying Craftsman tools, oblivious to the country of origin. We allow this to happen to ourselves. We are creating this world in which we have to live in by the choices we make.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Like a lot of folks here I'm a generational Craftsman tool user, both grandfathers used them as well as my father. My wife gave me a great 200 piece tool box set for my b-day two years ago and it's one of the best gifts I've ever received so it seemed as though I'd have some Craftsman tools to hand down as well. I always figured it was the convenience that brought people in but it was the quality that keeps them coming back.

This is a disappointing development but frankly I can't say as I'm all that surprised given Sears is now part of the on-going downward spiral train-wreck that is K-Mart. K-Mart is a company that over the last few years has been perpetually plagued by horrible upper management and and questionable business decisions. When K-Mart & Sears merged they should have been able to capitalize on the Sears brand but it appears they will #@&% that up as well!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Understandable that Sears partnered with Summit to sell their tools hoping to boost sales.

I've never liked Craftsman tools, any I have were gifts.

Users who are viewing this thread