Demon Owner Who Should Have Waited for GT500...

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
I have to admit, while I love the Demon, I can't help but feel the GT500 will be the far superior car to drive. Both are insane cars, but when you are dropping 100K on a Muscle Car, you want it to do more than just go fast in a straight line. Here's my issues with the Demon vs GT500.

1. Drag Radials on all 4 tires is silly for street use. For me to drive the Demon in the rain, or faster than 168mph, I have to change the wheel/tire setup to the street package they offer. It's basically what comes on the widebody Hellcat. $5,000 option! Think about that, you have to spend $5,000 on top of $90,000+ just to safely drive the car in the rain. If I stick with the DR's, they will get me like 5K miles at most and cost $1,600 to replace.

2. Once you option out the Demon, it puts all of the weight back into the car. You'd be a fool not to order the seats for $1. Sorry I like a good stereo :)

3. Most disappointing is how hard it has proven to achieve Dodge's marketing times for this car. The car will literally NEVER hook up on the street. Even with a prepped track, conditions have to be perfectly ideal to get anywhere close to Dodge's numbers. Whatever numbers Ford releases for the GT500 will be MUCH EASIER to consistently BANG OFF. Why? Cause they won't be numbers that require the following: Only 1 seat, drag radials, skinny front tires, prepped track with glue down, huge burnout to warm up tires...etc.

4. Hellcat with 5K and mods can pull on a Demon. There's no denying this simple fact. You can get a low mileage Hellcat for low 40's now. Toss in a pulley / tune for 5K and pull on a Demon. That's literally 50% cheaper version of ostensibly the same car. There's a reason why we are starting to see Demons for sale with 150 miles on the odometer. Lots of Demon owners moved over from their Hellcats and are realizing the car is just a tad faster but cost them twice as much. When they Dyno'd a Demon vs Hellcat, the Demon only put out 34 more bhp to the rear wheels. Indicating the Hellcats were underrated at 707, whereas the Demon is rated properly.

5. My last point is a subjective reason. I'm kind of tired of the mopar community that primarily only talks about the resale value of their Demons. It's like all these dudes try and buy these cars who can't afford them, speculate on future prices, and keep the dumb yellow front splitter guard on just because they are OCD and anal about driving their cars. Dodge makes this bad ass Mad Max beast, and these guys are only concerned about what it will be worth 20 years from now.

I just hate Ford for taking so long! If Ford had this car out when I bought my Demon I'd seriously have chosen the GT500. Both are amazing cars, but I do think the Demon is a one-trick pony hype car made by a broke company. Whereas Ford took the time and invested a lot more to make the GT500 truly amazing.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
When you actually engineer a new car it take 2, 3 Years. Ford has not taken long at all as it’s only been just over two year(26 months to be exact) since they finished the GT350.

Of course if you just want a blower and lowering springs, that would only take about 6 months to complete. I’d rather have a complete car and wait 3 years....

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I have to admit, while I love the Demon, I can't help but feel the GT500 will be the far superior car to drive. Both are insane cars, but when you are dropping 100K on a Muscle Car, you want it to do more than just go fast in a straight line. Here's my issues with the Demon vs GT500.

1. Drag Radials on all 4 tires is silly for street use. For me to drive the Demon in the rain, or faster than 168mph, I have to change the wheel/tire setup to the street package they offer. It's basically what comes on the widebody Hellcat. $5,000 option! Think about that, you have to spend $5,000 on top of $90,000+ just to safely drive the car in the rain. If I stick with the DR's, they will get me like 5K miles at most and cost $1,600 to replace.

2. Once you option out the Demon, it puts all of the weight back into the car. You'd be a fool not to order the seats for $1. Sorry I like a good stereo :)

3. Most disappointing is how hard it has proven to achieve Dodge's marketing times for this car. The car will literally NEVER hook up on the street. Even with a prepped track, conditions have to be perfectly ideal to get anywhere close to Dodge's numbers. Whatever numbers Ford releases for the GT500 will be MUCH EASIER to consistently BANG OFF. Why? Cause they won't be numbers that require the following: Only 1 seat, drag radials, skinny front tires, prepped track with glue down, huge burnout to warm up tires...etc.

4. Hellcat with 5K and mods can pull on a Demon. There's no denying this simple fact. You can get a low mileage Hellcat for low 40's now. Toss in a pulley / tune for 5K and pull on a Demon. That's literally 50% cheaper version of ostensibly the same car. There's a reason why we are starting to see Demons for sale with 150 miles on the odometer. Lots of Demon owners moved over from their Hellcats and are realizing the car is just a tad faster but cost them twice as much. When they Dyno'd a Demon vs Hellcat, the Demon only put out 34 more bhp to the rear wheels. Indicating the Hellcats were underrated at 707, whereas the Demon is rated properly.

5. My last point is a subjective reason. I'm kind of tired of the mopar community that primarily only talks about the resale value of their Demons. It's like all these dudes try and buy these cars who can't afford them, speculate on future prices, and keep the dumb yellow front splitter guard on just because they are OCD and anal about driving their cars. Dodge makes this bad ass Mad Max beast, and these guys are only concerned about what it will be worth 20 years from now.

I just hate Ford for taking so long! If Ford had this car out when I bought my Demon I'd seriously have chosen the GT500. Both are amazing cars, but I do think the Demon is a one-trick pony hype car made by a broke company. Whereas Ford took the time and invested a lot more to make the GT500 truly amazing.

1) If you going to drive a 700+ hp on the street and have any chance of hooking up, you have to run drag radials. So that should not even be an issue.
All you really need to do is change out the front tires for summer performance tires for street use.

3) Have you ever taken your GT500, Hellcat or Demon to the track?

4) Did you ever add any performance modifications to your Hellcat?

5) if your so tired of the Mopar community, why do you keep trying to get back on the forums under different names, after being banned numerous times?

Anyway, let's see some pictures of you with your new Demon as I have not seen any posted. Any plans for modifications?

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sounds like you bought a street legal track car that you dont intend to mainly beat the crap out of at the track...

btw, people other than Dodge sell wheels and tires that will get you around town in the rain

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Lol. The demon is a $60k car with $5k of work being sold for $90k. You have to be a loyalist to miss that.

Everything is expensive now though. Fact remains that resale has little to do with msrp.

I predict the well kept gt350r’s will sell for 5 fold what well kept demons sell for in 10 years. $250k vs $50k.

R’s are still $90k, msrp on 67k. Demons already have dropped slightly from msrp. It’s also much easier to clone a demon than a gt350r both physically and performance wise from a lesser model. Whose going to buy or swap in an fpc setup and cf wheels.

It’s easy to find 50-100hp for a run of the mill hellcat.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I predict the well kept gt350r’s will sell for 5 fold what well kept demons sell for in 10 years. $250k vs $50k.

giphy.gif

jtfx6552

Established Member
Down the road, not sure how many years exactly, I think all cars that don't drive themselves will be pretty much worthless.

Further, how hard is it going to be to maintain/track cars from this era decades from now? Will you be able to buy a headlight or tail light if you need one? Every car's is pretty much unique. Cars from the 60s and 70s had a lot of common parts, plus new parts from ICE powered cars that could be retro modded in. What about magnaride shocks, will they all be available? What about all the other electronics and sensors?

Sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but the crash is coming in my opinion, may as well buy what floats our boat now and not worry about 10, 20 30 years from now.

Voltwings

Established Member
Down the road, not sure how many years exactly, I think all cars that don't drive themselves will be pretty much worthless.

Further, how hard is it going to be to maintain/track cars from this era decades from now? Will you be able to buy a headlight or tail light if you need one? Every car's is pretty much unique. Cars from the 60s and 70s had a lot of common parts, plus new parts from ICE powered cars that could be retro modded in. What about magnaride shocks, will they all be available? What about all the other electronics and sensors?

Sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but the crash is coming in my opinion, may as well buy what floats our boat now and not worry about 10, 20 30 years from now.

I thought about this, the electric car is pretty much going to kill the "track day." I go through 2-3 tanks of gas a weekend, which is 8, 20 minute sessions ... so when Electric cars are all there is ... do i just go do the few laps i have charge for and then tow my car home, or hope there's a miraculously fast charging solution that every track (purely out of the goodness of their hearts of course) will have put in? Really not happy about the direction we're all apparently headed with modern vehicles.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I thought about this, the electric car is pretty much going to kill the "track day." I go through 2-3 tanks of gas a weekend, which is 8, 20 minute sessions ... so when Electric cars are all there is ... do i just go do the few laps i have charge for and then tow my car home, or hope there's a miraculously fast charging solution that every track (purely out of the goodness of their hearts of course) will have put in? Really not happy about the direction we're all apparently headed with modern vehicles.

Nah. Instead of lugging 10gal gas jugs to the track, you'll be packing 3-4 battery packs.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If electric cars start to hit the track in large numbers, the track owners will put in charging stations. They would be fools not to cater to the market.

And as battery tech increases the charge times will drop substantially. If Fisker is even remotely close to their estimates on the solid state batteries, or even off by a few hundred percent, the car will fully charge between sessions.

Also, lol @ this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread