Did Ford sell vehicles to Nazi Germany during WWII

Jroc

Established Member
I'm thinking this is a bunch of bogus BS, but I work with a guy who's one of these people that have all kinds of little facts and knowledge on many different topics, and he came up to me today and said that Ford sold vehicles to Nazi Germany during WWII because Henry Ford was a staunch antisemitic.

Apparently Henry Ford was antisemitic, and he did get some award from Nazi German prior to WWII, but I can't find anything to back up that he sold vehicles to Germany during WWII.

Anyone on here know anything about this?

Jroc

Established Member
A quick Google search led me to this article, an interesting read for sure.

-Eric

Good find. I had been reading about Henry ford on Wikipedia.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford]Henry Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Evan5469

Established Member
I went to the Holocaust museum last year and remember reading the BMW used concentration camp workers to build their cars. Doesn't have anything to do with what you're asking but I just found that interesting.

I don't remember reading anything about Henry Ford while there.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Henry Ford did more than sale cars to hitler, his plants built weapons and tanks for him

Sent from my jebus phone

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Henry Ford did more than sale cars to hitler, his plants built weapons and tanks for him

Sent from my jebus phone

too bad your jebus phone doesn't know the difference between SELL and SALE

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
[youtube_browser]0iWC5iwfqZw[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
Ok so your saying that Germany bought stuff from Ford in the states. Then it magically made its way accross the Atlantic Ocean full of U boats, on a US flagged shipped and dropped them off at a German port...?

Sorry if Im alittle skeptical about all of that. The actual logistics behind those articles would indicate otherwise. Im a history and war person. But even if this was said to take place prior to America entering the war on December 8, 1941. America couldnt sell anything to an Axis power since the British were our Allies and at war with Germany. Ford couldnt sell an Axis power anything because most companies were under DoD contracts during the war. If I recall correctly alot of those contracts will say that they cant sell or help a Foreign power during a time of war without the treat of treason.

Edit: I read a few of the articles more in depth. It wasnt Henry Ford that sold and build stuff for the Germans. It was some of the companies that Ford owned in Europe before the war began. Their leadership, one of which was French, is whom sold the Germans anything. Not Ford himself.

This was in Nazi occupied Europe though and they probably had to do something for the Germans since the plant was covered/surrounded with Germans.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
too bad your jebus phone doesn't know the difference between SELL and SALE

44bd4f44-eb44-193e.jpg

Damn you iPhone!!!!

Sent from my jebus phone

Jroc

Established Member
Ok so your saying that Germany bought stuff from Ford in the states. Then it magically made its way accross the Atlantic Ocean full of U boats, on a US flagged shipped and dropped them off at a German port...?

Sorry if Im alittle skeptical about all of that. The actual logistics behind those articles would indicate otherwise. Im a history and war person. But even if this was said to take place prior to America entering the war on December 8, 1941. America couldnt sell anything to an Axis power since the British were our Allies and at war with Germany. Ford couldnt sell an Axis power anything because most companies were under DoD contracts during the war. If I recall correctly alot of those contracts will say that they cant sell or help a Foreign power during a time of war without the treat of treason.

No, no I'm asking. History was my best subject also, and I've never heard anything like this. I agree it would of been hard for the U.S to send stuff to germany after 1939, but according to Instigator99's link Ford was profiting from both sides during WWII, and that Ford in Europe was selling to Nazi Germany.

Mayo5

Established Member
IBM built the statistical machine(Punch Card) that was used for picking jews, etc.

IBM and the holocaust is a great read if anyone is interested in WW2 history/Tech/Business development history.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/IBM-Holocaust-Strategic-Alliance-Corporation/dp/0375419330"]Amazon.com: IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance between Nazi Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation (9780375419331): Edwin Black: Books[/ame]

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
No, no I'm asking. History was my best subject also, and I've never heard anything like this. I agree it would of been hard for the U.S to send stuff to germany after 1939, but according to Instigator99's link Ford was profiting from both sides during WWII, and that Ford in Europe was selling to Nazi Germany.

Read the edit.

It wasnt Ford making the money. It was their plants in occupied counties operated by the French, etc, that was selling stuff.

However, the lack of evidence is almost convient.

assasyn

Established Member
IBM built the statistical machine(Punch Card) that was used for picking jews, etc.

IBM and the holocaust is a great read if anyone is interested in WW2 history/Tech/Business development history.

Amazon.com: IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance between Nazi Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation (9780375419331): Edwin Black: Books

You stole my story.
images

I was just about to post that. It was a great read. People would be amazed at which causes major companies help fund.

Rochard

Established Member
Ford had entire automotive plants in Germany before and during the war. Henry Ford was a huge supporter of Germany and the Nazi party; This was never a secret really. I believe at one point he published some kind of "booklet" about Nazi Germany.

It's very easy to point blame at an American company for doing business with the Axis during WWII. But the truth is more like once the war started, American companies lost control of their foreign operations. Americans couldn't exactly travel to Germany and France during the war, and in most cases American companies (and all companies really) were taken over by the Nazis and run by them.

I went to the Holocaust museum last year and remember reading the BMW used concentration camp workers to build their cars. Doesn't have anything to do with what you're asking but I just found that interesting.

I don't remember reading anything about Henry Ford while there.

The Japanese did the same - used POWs to build airplanes. This included Suburu and Mitsubishi.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford had entire automotive plants in Germany before and during the war. Henry Ford was a huge supporter of Germany and the Nazi party; This was never a secret really. I believe at one point he published some kind of "booklet" about Nazi Germany.

It's very easy to point blame at an American company for doing business with the Axis during WWII. But the truth is more like once the war started, American companies lost control of their foreign operations. Americans couldn't exactly travel to Germany and France during the war, and in most cases American companies (and all companies really) were taken over by the Nazis and run by them.

The Japanese did the same - used POWs to build airplanes. This included Suburu and Mitsubishi.

This is a much more likely scenario IMO.

Monster Mach

Established Member

Amazon.com: IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance between Nazi Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation (9780375419331): Edwin Black: Books

That was a great read.. I had to read it in a class in highschool.. holocaust.. haha
Its all true too.. I live within 5 mins of the first I.b.m. and live in a house built for the company back in the early 20th century.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Users who are viewing this thread