Did i ruin my 5.0?

Jack88

Good morning all! I hate to make a post like this my first post on the forum but I'm concerned about my 5.0. First off the car is a 2014 5.0 that has been tuned by bama since about 3k miles (currently at 61k). The only mods I have are a JLT cold air and axle back exhaust. The car ran very smoothly and I was an idiot for messing with it but i decided to try a new tune from a different tuner. Once I updated my sct x3 and attempted to load the new tune onto the car, the download failed midway leaving my car uncrankable. I had no choice but to return the car to stock and reached out to my new tuner and he sent me a new file within the hour. This one failed as well. I didn't want to brick my ecu as this car is my daily driver so I returned it to stock and left it as is for the night. The next morning I had to make a quick run to the store but when I cranked the car up, it idled very aggressively. The engine began to knock/pop very loudly to the point of I thought it might blow up in my driveway. I read the car had to relearn how to idle but after looking on YouTube I haven't been able to find another car idle like this. I've heard ghost cam tune but this was much more aggressive, to the point of I really thought this was it. The car drive poorly with the stock tune, idling at around 400-500 rpm and shifting very lazy (A6). When I got home I put the bama tune back on my car and thought all was well but after about 200 or so miles, the cel popped on. I read the code with my sct x3 and it read as a p0420. I researched online this could be as simple as a o2 sensor or as complex as a cat. My question is what are the chances that I did any long term damage to my engine. With the bama tune it runs and idles just as I remember. And as far as the code, is it safe to drive with the cel on? I cant tell any difference driving or performance wise. And lastly, is there a way to pinpoint if it's the cats, o2 sensor, or another issue?

96gt02

Established Member
^
This, you ran a tune require CAI without a tune lol. Id imagine you ran your car pretty lean for however long you drove it.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
As mentioned above any change in size to your intake tube will require a retune (on a MAF car... which yours is). I bet you ended up fouling out an o2 sensor from your fueling tables not being calibrated correctly. Just try swapping it with the other side and see if the CEL follows, if it does you need a new sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread