Do Not Update Your BDX/REVX Tuner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheepDog

Established Member
Just wanted to share an issue I am having with my SCT BDX tuner with everyone. I am currently in the process of a new tune with Lund, and in the process went to update my BDX tuner. As it turns out there is an issue with the latest software revision that causes the device to forget the vehicles Firmware. After spending hours on the phone with 3 different SCT Techs, it looks like the only solution is that they are sending me an X4 to restore my PCM to its original tune. I would like to say that the folks at SCT have been very helpful in addressing my issue and they did everything they could to fix this problem. SCT is aware of this problem and is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you are planning on flashing your car, remain on the older version of software or you will be in the same boat that I am. I believe this only applies to the newer devices that have WiFi, but just to be safe, wait for the next round of updates.

tjs98gt

Established Member
Not only that but SCT removed a lot of features from all of their tuners recently. OTS maps for different pulley sizes for OEM boosted applications are no longer included and they removed the ability to take away fuel or advance the timing yourself so I have been telling people not to update anyway, especially if they are running one of those OTS maps currently.

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure if it is related to your issue but I know that you need to "return to stock" before updating X3 and X4 units. Not familiar with BDX model.

SheepDog

Established Member
Yeah honestly I'm not sure. It was my understanding that they wanted people to "return to stock" because generally people don't save their OEM tune on their computer. I have flashed many Lund revisions over the last year without returning to stock, going from NA to NA and E-85, and now Procharged, and this is the first time I have had any problems. SCT is overnighting me an X4 which I appreciate. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

MG0h3

Established Member
No thats fine when loading new tunes. Its when you update the device software that they want you to return to stock first.

SheepDog

Established Member
Oh I see, well perhaps that is the problem, however the guys at SCT told me that they have 8 other tickets open for their engineering dept. for related issues on the WiFi devices. Apparently the previous versions (X3, X4) find the firmware based on the basemap which is stored on your PC or on the tuner itself, but these new WiFi tuners search the cloud for the Firmware. I got a general Error 13003, which is "Cannot find Firmware for this Vehicle". Maybe I'm just a dumbass, so props to SCT for helping me out.

SheepDog

Established Member
Figured I would follow up with this thread, I hate when people leave loose ends. I was able to restore my PCM to OEM with the recovery file that was sent to me on the X4 that SCT gave me. They also said that I could trade my BDX back to them and keep the X4 if I wanted to. A word to the wise, when you are in the middle of a tuning session and are using a WiFi tuner like the BDX/REVX, DO NOT select "Connect" when it asks you if this is the correct vehicle. Instead select "Confirm" as this will tell the device to assume that it is the same vehicle. These WiFi devices will look to the SCT server for the Firmware for you vehicle instead of storing it like the previous X3/X4 devices. If you have a custom tune, the Firmware will not be on SCT's server and will completely Fook everything up. SCT is aware of this issue and is working with Lund and other tuners to fix the problem. In the meantime, like the title says, do not update your device until SCT fixes this issue. SCT took good care of me and fixed this issue as fast as they could, which I greatly appreciate.

iannottimatt

What does this all mean I flashed my ecu with the BDX on August 4th, does this mean I can not return to stock now?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SheepDog

Established Member
No, you can return to stock. This was a problem with the BDX device looking for the Firmware on the SCT Server, for vehicles that have custom tunes on them. SCT has since resolved the issue, (or so I am told). If you are in the middle of a custom tuning session, wait to finish the tuning process before you update your device. You can also avoid this problem by Selecting "Confirm" when it asks you if this is the correct vehicle. If you select "Connect", the BDX/REVX tuner will use WiFi to look for the Firmware for your vehicle which is no good, especially if you are running a masked tune from one of the E-tuners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread