Does anyone make a good 3.90 gear these days?

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Getting setup for the 1/4 mile. I know that a few years ago, people were having issues with some 3.90 gears. Have these problems been solved? I have not purchased tires yet. Sticking with the 8.8 for now just building it with some used bps goodies. Trap speed should be between 146-150. Still running a stock ratio 08 tr6060. Or any other suggestions for a gear/tire combo? Im just getting into the 1/4 mile scene. Thanks

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Probably would not hurt to do a search here , there was a thread that seemed to never end on just that topic.
Sounds to me the issue has not been resolved .

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Probably would not hurt to do a search here , there was a thread that seemed to never end on just that topic.
Sounds to me the issue has not been resolved .

Ive done a search and researched for many hours... Thats how i knew there were issues... Most threads on 3.90s are a rew years old by now. Perhaps the better question is, has anyone found a good brand 3.90 lately?

Last edited:

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Yeah ive read the richmonds are iffy, however motives seem to have some better reviews. Lethal said motives were the way to go and stay away from the others.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Is there a reason 3.73s or 4.10s wont fit your needs? 3.90s from motive will work but will have a whine. If your fine with that then your good. Personally id go with FRPP gears and choose between the 3.73 or 4.10.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Ive had 3.73s before and wished i went a little deeper. The class that im thinking about running requires a tire to be no more then 28" tall radial. My trap speed is around 146-148, dont really want to rev it to the moon every run. Planning on getting the gear lightened and micro'd.

Users who are viewing this thread