Dunkirk

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I saw it last night - phenomenal. Has anyone had a chance to see it yet? Absolutely thrilling from the start and rolls all the way through. AND it's under 2 hours. I hope I'm not overselling it but it may just be my new favorite war movie!

Coiled03

Established Member
Strange. I've heard several people say it was a disappointment. Either way, it'll have a tough time beating Saving Private Ryan.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
will probably have to wait for rental, my wife doesn't care for war movies in the theaters, too gory for her.

Other than Saving Private Ryan, Fury is my favorite WW2 movie. If Dunkirk can come close to being that good, I'll love it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
will probably have to wait for rental, my wife doesn't care for war movies in the theaters, too gory for her.

Other than Saving Private Ryan, Fury is my favorite WW2 movie. If Dunkirk can come close to being that good, I'll love it.
Movie is actually PG-13, so no gory.

Im excited to see it, then again it is Christopher Nolan directing and so far he has not disappoint at all. IMO, he’s probably the best director of this generation.

Makes perfect sense for why @Zemedici love’s sparkly apple bottom jeans and boys. We might be witnessing a priest in the making ladies and gentlemen.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Strange. I've heard several people say it was a disappointment. Either way, it'll have a tough time beating Saving Private Ryan.

I have to point out that this is not a Saving Private Ryan type film. There's not much dialogue throughout the movie, and little to no gore at all with a PG13 rating. A review described it best (I'm paraphrasing) by saying that it's more about the scramble for survival than a story.

It's really, really good!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Just to add, the scenes inside the cockpit of the Spitfire were so beautifully done I was obsessed.

Coiled03

Established Member
I have to point out that this is not a Saving Private Ryan type film. There's not much dialogue throughout the movie, and little to no gore at all with a PG13 rating. A review described it best (I'm paraphrasing) by saying that it's more about the scramble for survival than a story.

It's really, really good!

Eh, I'll probably see it either way. I was just curious about the conflicting reviews when I had very high hopes.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Eh, I'll probably see it either way. I was just curious about the conflicting reviews when I had very high hopes.

Are you referring to reviews online or friends of yours who have seen it?

Rotten Tomatoes counted 207 surveys with 190 being positive with only 17 negative reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017

But listen I'm just hype on it because I loved it!! See it for yourself and let me know your thoughts.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Are you referring to reviews online or friends of yours who have seen it?

Rotten Tomatoes counted 207 surveys with 190 being positive with only 17 negative reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dunkirk_2017

But listen I'm just hype on it because I loved it!! See it for yourself and let me know your thoughts.
That’s not the only rating that matters, the percentage one that is. The avg rating to me is the one that matters the most, a movie could be 95% but only have an avg rating of 7.8 which is still good but not great IMO.

This one has an avg rating of 8.7 and thats very freaking good.

Machdup1

Established Member
well shit.

Just watch the first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan and you will have a new appreciation for WWII veterans.

Those 20 minutes are at the same time the ultimate condemnation of the horrors of war and the celebration of the greatest group of heroes the world may have ever know.

Just do it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Just watch the first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan and you will have a new appreciation for WWII veterans.

Those 20 minutes are at the same time the ultimate condemnation of the horrors of war and the celebration of the greatest group of heroes the world may have ever know.

Just do it.

I shall watch both this weekend, and report back!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to point out that this is not a Saving Private Ryan type film. There's not much dialogue throughout the movie, and little to no gore at all with a PG13 rating. A review described it best (I'm paraphrasing) by saying that it's more about the scramble for survival than a story. It's really, really good!
That's what I hoped, and expected, it would be. So I'm in. I really hope this one ends on an UltraHD (4K) DVD. IMO it seems perfect for 4K and an LG HDR OLED television. Can't wait to see it.

sidewinderl

Established Member
Band of Brothers is another must watch. Mini series but wow, its great

Band of Brothers and The Pacific are the must watch productions. Saving Private Ryan even lost its luster after BoB exceeded it in every way. Even the more recent Hacksaw Ridge was pure cheese compared to The Pacific (I recommend the documentary on Doss instead).

I'm disappointed they're choosing to do the 8th Air Force for the next one instead of stuff like the AVG (who didn't even get recognized by the US until the 90's) or JG 27. If they do a Navy series, please please please let it be Taffy 3. Everybody should read The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.

Users who are viewing this thread