Dunkirk

Balt21

Established Member
I haven't seen Dunkirk yet, but I am excited to. I also highly recommend Band of Brothers and The Pacific; I've watched both multiple times and they're great!

M91196

Established Member
Band of Brothers and The Pacific are the must watch productions. Saving Private Ryan even lost its luster after BoB exceeded it in every way. Even the more recent Hacksaw Ridge was pure cheese compared to The Pacific (I recommend the documentary on Doss instead).

I'm disappointed they're choosing to do the 8th Air Force for the next one instead of stuff like the AVG (who didn't even get recognized by the US until the 90's) or JG 27. If they do a Navy series, please please please let it be Taffy 3. Everybody should read The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.

The 8th AF mini series make sense because HBO hopes to pull some female viewers since they can at least have life outside the combat. As a history fans we can agree there are so many worthy stories and not enough good film makers and audiences.
99% of the people don't know who the Flying Tigers were.
SPR goes off the rails when they let the soldier go at the radar station.
BLackhawk Down is almost perfect match to Bowdens book and may be the gold standard.
BOB is awesome perfection.

The Pacific stumbled a bit with the mixing of triple stories, With the Old Breed could have been the basis for the entire series.

You probably watched every second of Black Sheep Squadron like I did.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Spectacular movie. Definitely a must see in the theatre. The small audio details are what pull you into the scene and help you gain a small sense of what the characters are going through. Will probably go see it again.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I gave up going to the movie theaters many years ago.
It's too annoying watching people play with their phones while I'm trying to watch and besides I have a pretty sweet home theater.
Sometimes paying top money for a movie in theaters is worth it for that reason alone. I have a Dolby Atmos theater nearby, this is the only way to watch movies in theaters! It’s an HDR 12 Bit (MUCH better than standard HDR) and Dolby Atmos with built in subwoofer’s speakers in recliner wide leather seats. Cost a nice penny but leave very satisfied watching a movie and you dont really get those douche’s that are on their phones or loud obnoxious kids.

mikes35

Established Member
I was just talking to my dad last night about Dunkirk. I travel for work so I think I'll go see it one night while out of town next week since my girlfriend doesn't like war movies. She's ok seeing people getting killed but if you kill a defensless animal - oh no...... Just throwing this out there as it's pretty much a drama loosely based on a pilot being shot down over Bosnia, but I really enjoyed watching Behind Enemy Lines. I'm going to have to watch Band of Brothers and the The Pacific now.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
And Dunkirk would of had a completely differnt ending if Hitler didn't stop the Panzers, then listening to Goering on promising that the Luftwaffe could destroy them on the beaches. This was the start of many promises by the fat man on what the German Air Force could do or accomplish.

And instead they failed.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Going today. I dont go to a lot of movies. I hate reserved seating and i hate paying 12 dollar more than the guy behind me to see the same movie. Center seats are like 18.00 while sides, front and back are 8 to 10. Soon, we'll be seated for movies like boarding a plane.

Last edited:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Going today. I dont go to a lot of movies. I hate reserved seating and i hate paying 12 dollar more than the guy behind me to see the same movie. Center seats are like 18.00 while sides, front and back are 8 to 10. Soon, we'll be seated for movies like boarding a plane.

Why when we go to a movie it is usually a month or so after it has come out. No line, no waiting, and best of all not crowded.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
It was ok. Not on same level as SPR or PH. It was like a docudrama with no lead characters and little dialogue

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Just got doNE watching it...good flick, good cinematography.

My only bitch was how much the movie jumped back and forth. Made it hard to keep track of the timeline

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Even if this came on television I highly doubt I'd view it. What prompts me to say that is how hollywood takes such ridiculous artistic liberties when it comes to producing its view on history.

sidewinderl

Established Member
I just watched Dunkirk, and it sucked. It's dull, emotionally driven artsy fartsy crapola with an incoherent timeline. There was no Spitfire V at Dunkirk, and it definitely wouldn't have had that much ammo, but maybe it was making up for the ships that apparently didn't have a single round of ammo between them.

The Pacific stumbled a bit with the mixing of triple stories, With the Old Breed could have been the basis for the entire series.

At first I was a bit critical of that, but I felt that it was a lot easier to watch the 2nd time around. BoB is definitely still my favorite, but TP is basically just as good for different reasons.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
I just watched Dunkirk, and it sucked. It's dull, emotionally driven artsy fartsy crapola with an incoherent timeline. There was no Spitfire V at Dunkirk, and it definitely wouldn't have had that much ammo, but maybe it was making up for the ships that apparently didn't have a single round of ammo between them.

At first I was a bit critical of that, but I felt that it was a lot easier to watch the 2nd time around. BoB is definitely still my favorite, but TP is basically just as good for different reasons.

Didn't notice any Mk Vs. looked to be Mk Is restored by ARC.

https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/restorations-index/

I agree, ammo wise he had about 5 times too much. There is no shortage of embellishment wherever you want to look for it.

That being said, I watch documentaries for the accuracy, and I go to the movies for the entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread