Dyno

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes! Here is a good post from a BMW forum.

"There are 3 types of chassis dyno's you'll run into in the USA. Dynojet, Dynapack, & Mustang. They all spit out slightly different HP/TQ numbers when you compare one brand to another (i.e. Dynojet vs Dynapack), but they are all 100% consistent if you stay on the same dyno every time. So if you are tracking your mods as you add them, go to the same shop every time.

95% of the shops in the USA are running one of these three dyno's:

1. Dynojet - most popular in the USA. Considered the "standard" here in the states since most shops utilize them. For our theoretical "car", the Dynojet will read 100 rwhp, & 100 ft/lbs of torque.

With this dyno you drive up to the rollers, they strap the car down, and do a full throttle pass in 3rd or 4th gear. The dyno will calculate the power based on how fast the car will spin the rollers. This is called an inertia based dyno.

For WOT power passes that you can compare to each other on the internet, Dynojet's are perfect. They're everywhere! But most do not have any sort of load simulating capability. Since 2005 more and more Dynojet's sold have their eddy current loading device.

2. Mustang Dyno's - not as nearly as popular as the Dynojet's, but all performance shops that have Mustang dyno's DO have the capability to simulate load on the car to map ECU's. These are also great dyno's, are very accurate, simulate load very well, and are repeatable every time. They are also inertia based dyno's where you'll drive the car up on the rollers, strap the car down, and make a 3rd or 4th gear pass.

These dyno's will always read ~12% LOWER than a Dynojet, which is our standard here in the states (unless the shop has messed with the gearing settings in the computer). Because of this, lots of the internet folk don't like to use them. They come on the internet, share their results and everyone says "why didn't you make more power with mod XX". So our theoretical car will show 88rwhp on the Mustang dyno.

3. Dynapack - These are the red headed step children here in the states. Not as common as the Dynojet or Dynapack, but these are the standard in Japan. These are fundamentally COMPLETELY different that the inertia type dyno's.

With the Dynapack (my favorite), you remove the rear wheels, attach the hubs of the car to the "pods", and make your pass.

The load is simulated on the car via a hydraulic pump. Because these are effectively inertia-less, they will read HIGHER than the standard Dynojet numbers by 8-10%. That number will vary depending on how "fast" your dyno run lasts (sweep time), but as a rule of thumb, they'll read ~8-10% higher. So with this dyno our car will now read ~109rwhp on average.

The pods are always red, but these are easiest to ID. If they are taking off your wheels, it's a Dynapack!

And understand one thing when it comes to dyno graphs and product claims! Every dyno graph can be cheated by dishonest individuals/companies. All of them. So always take every dyno claim with a grain of salt. If they are cheating their tests, the truth eventually comes out (usually). Be a smart consumer!"

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, and if you're thinking about selecting one (Dynojet or Mustang) for your car, whichever one you use, stick with the same one (type and shop) if you're wanting to measure differences with new mods. Mixing the two will make it difficult to accurately measure the performance increases (or decreases) with future engine mods.

HandBanana

Established Member
Oh, and if you're thinking about selecting one (Dynojet or Mustang) for your car, whichever one you use, stick with the same one (type and shop) if you're wanting to measure differences with new mods. Mixing the two will make it difficult to accurately measure the performance increases (or decreases) with future engine mods.

You are such a nice guy Bob. I was about to say: "Nope, same exact thing!" :D

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea the Mustang Dyno will likely hurt ur feelings.:rolleyes:

the Dynojet on the other hand doesn't load like a Mustang dyno does but does make you feel ur car is much faster then it actually is and that tends to be more important to ppl so they can brag on fb how much hp their car made. watever floats ur boat.....

but in reality it doesn't really mean shit one way or the other as long as you have a base pull to compare from. its a tuning tool not a hp indicator although with the Mustang dyno you will surely be much closer to real world results.

my car will be tuned on a Mustang dyno but I plan on bringing it to a local dynojet jus to see the actual difference and if its closer to 12% like most tend to think.

Is there a difference between a Mustang Dyno and a Dyno Jet Dyno

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
My local dyno shop has a very nice dynomite machine, what are these compared to? I did not see that in the top 3 so not good haha

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
yea the Mustang Dyno will likely hurt ur feelings.:rolleyes:

the Dynojet on the other hand doesn't load like a Mustang dyno does but does make you feel ur car is much faster then it actually is and that tends to be more important to ppl so they can brag on fb how much hp their car made. watever floats ur boat.....

but in reality it doesn't really mean shit one way or the other as long as you have a base pull to compare from. its a tuning tool not a hp indicator although with the Mustang dyno you will surely be much closer to real world results.

my car will be tuned on a Mustang dyno but I plan on bringing it to a local dynojet jus to see the actual difference and if its closer to 12% like most tend to think.
MD can also hurt your feelings when you get smashed by a car making less power on a DJ. MD will read all over. I do not trust them to compare numbers, mods, etc.... Great tuning tool and that's it. But even then I would rather have a DJ with a brake.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea it all really don't mean shit anyways and feelings don't matter much to me. its really all about ur car weight/MPH at the track. the rest is just BS cause their are too many variables

Users who are viewing this thread