e85 Fuel Filter, where to buy?

flynz

Established Member
I'm going to make the jump over to e85 from 93 and the one thing I keep reading is to stay away from paper filters. I'm looking at the 1300 injectors with the current non comp BAP installed, The car is a toy and will sit 4-6 days at a time so I don't want moisture to build and cause problems with delivery due to a clogged filter. I had seen a thread at one point on here about a stainless mesh filter but cannot find it again. Does anyone have experience with this or am I just being overly paranoid?

EDIT: In reading what you guys have to say about a stock fuel system on injectors and BAP is this really a good idea? I will not be going any further than mod list in signature, possible VMP II-R blower at some point with same upper only configuration but no plans to crack engine open or exceed the 800whp mark.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes, get a stainless filter. Fore has nice stuff. I want to say they sell a different element as well that may be better. I'm running the standard one they sell and my car sits regularly for a week or two and over 3 months sometimes. No issues yet. Mixed some stabil in before the 3 month rest though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

flynz

Established Member
Ended up doing what Bimini did and got the Canton 25-902. Not sure if the filter element is replaceable or not but will figure that out once its delivered.

djniknala

Established Member
I just wanted to add that the Canton 25-902 is the fuel filter with the correct 3/8” OB fittings already on the filter. There is no need to order the other filter(25-910)and extra 3/8” fittings. I just got off the phone with Canton.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Does the Canton filter actually mount in the plastic factory bracket or does it have to be modified?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Modified.
I think you can do it to some degree with modification to the stock bracket, but I removed my lower covers with the filter, Stifflers subframe system and Roush side splitters.
I'll try and snap a pick before pulling it during the fuel system install.
-J

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one. Something that fits within the stock fuel lines and an upgrade over stock looks easier than anything else I could do.

I can't imagine that plastic cover does anything. Tempted to leave it off.

djniknala

Established Member
I just cut up the stock bracket and used only a small portion of it to keep the other lines in place. The fittings weren’t on very tight and they started to leak when I started up the car. I had to really crank them down to get them not to leak. The forward connector wouldn’t click in so I had to lightly sand the fitting to get it to fully seat. Hope this helps somebody else.

Last edited:

Exxit

Established Member
Sorry to necro an ancient thread;

I'm looking at running a 2.4 pulley, stock lower, 1300x inj, 68mm whipple dual TB, 127mm JLT intake, OR exhaust, and e85. I believe the car will run between 700-750whp. Is there a need to upgrade my stock fuel filter?

I've been eyeing this option in case it is necessary, but Injector Dynamics suggested a microglass medium for running e85.

DeatschWerks Mustang Fuel Filter 8-05-02-010 (05-21 All)
According to their site they run stainless element and deem it e85 safe

The Canton filter doesn't mention what the element material is at all, just offers a 1micron or 8micron filter.

So I guess I'm necroing this thread to ask 2 questions. 1, do I even need a filter? Car has 12k miles on 93 should I replace with another OEM one?
2, is there an issue with running stainless element that anyone has experienced?

It seems like a good number of folks have ran these mods without flow issues until they tossed a lower pulley in and pushed to or past 800whp...

Thanks in advance for reading this!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I ran the stock fuel filter for awhile on E85, than I made the switch to the Canton fuel filter that was listed above. I didn't notice anything different, but it's supposed to flow more. I'm now interested in the Deatschwerks unit you listed.

Exxit

Established Member
I ran the stock fuel filter for awhile on E85, than I made the switch to the Canton fuel filter that was listed above. I didn't notice anything different, but it's supposed to flow more. I'm now interested in the Deatschwerks unit you listed.

It seems like the one to go with before going full return or upgrading the lines to AN fitted lines that'll allow for it. I'll post an installed photo if I end up going with it this round of mods or after the first service during the mods. The car has 12k on it so I assume the filter should be fine until my first fluid dump which I think will be around 15k miles or so after some bolton e85 abuse shakes some stuff loose :D

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It seems like the one to go with before going full return or upgrading the lines to AN fitted lines that'll allow for it. I'll post an installed photo if I end up going with it this round of mods or after the first service during the mods. The car has 12k on it so I assume the filter should be fine until my first fluid dump which I think will be around 15k miles or so after some bolton e85 abuse shakes some stuff loose :D
My current fuel system setup is ID1300s, fore fuel rails and bigger crossover lines, canton fuel filter and a KB 20 volt BAP. I probably have every upgrade you can do to the stock fuel system for E85. So far I haven't had any issues and my car has just over 12k on it as well. But if you do the Deatschwerks fuel filter I'm interested to see how it fits. The Canton filter is a tight fit

Users who are viewing this thread