EBC Rotors any good?

Roushbabe

It's Mine :)
Established Member
I'm in the market for new rotors and pads. I only drive the car on the weekends and to the strip every now and then. Never on a road course. Buying nice rotors like this is mostly for looks since I know the OEM rotors would work fine for my application.

Rotors: My old setup was Powerslot slotted/dimpled rotors. I loved them and wish Powerslot made them still. They give you the best of both worlds, the look of a drilled rotor but not the risk. So I've been researching and all I can find is the brand EBC making this type of rotor. I've never heard of them before and was wondering if anyone on here has/have used them. Here is a link of what I'm considering to buy:

EBC Brakes GD7021 - EBC 3GD Series Sport Rotors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Looks: I'm also weary about it being black zinc plated. The ones I had before didn't have that and loved the way it looked and its hard to picture it with the inside being black. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Pads: Should I stick with the same brand for pads (EBC)? I usually buy Hawk pads just because they aren't TOO pricey. Anyone know of a good site to buy brake pads?

Here's a picture of my old setup on my Roush.
DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

Trying to get the same look so any suggestions would help. :shrug: Should I purchase the EBC rotors and hope the black zinc plated center won't look too shaby or should I just buy a nice pair of slotted rotors and not worry about the center being black? Thanks in advance!!!

Roushbabe

Established Member
Figured I should post the picture of my current car so you guys can see what would look best for rotors. Best picture I have to give you guys a good idea of what I'm working with.
DSC01172.jpg

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I used EBC rotors for 6 minutes on my fox body. They came horrible warped from the factory and I contacted them and they brushed me off so they went into the trash.

I used Powerslots on 3 cars and had zero issues. Love them.

Roushbabe

Established Member
Thanks for your advice. Hopefully a few more people chime in. I'm looking into another brand though just to have other options.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I just installed DBA 4000 rotors with ebc yellowstuff. I had the power slots also with hawk pads. I personally think the hawk pads sucked. They created more dust then anything I have ever seen. Stopping wasn't that impressive either.

So far, I have around 1,100 miles on the set up, and am happy with my investment. I think they look sweet! I will try to get some pics if I have time tomorrow. The pads are pretty decent as far as dusting.

DBA 4000XS Series Rotors, DBA 4000XS Brake Rotors

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
On a road racing site that I frequent(CC) we have been searching for a quality replacement for the Brembo plain or slotted 13" Cobra rotors that used to be cheap and available all over the place.

They appear to be either discontinued or on a back order from HELL! These were the best OE style one piece rotors that we could find at the time.

Since then many of the hard core track guys have had good success with the slotted Centric rotors, which are available from multiple outlets, though they may be Chinese.

Nearly all the one piece rotors that we have been finding lately have been Chinese.
It is my understanding that the slotted Centrics are not cracking early after several heat cycles like some of the other one piece rotors have been.

I personally have not yet tried these, but when it is time, if the Brembos are still N/A they will be going on #539.

The street pad I use and recommend to all my Cobra buddies are the Carbotech Bobcat 1521 compound.
Carbotech Performance Brakes I order them directly and call the orders in by phone.

They are an excellent low, non-corrosive dust pad with very high performance capability yet are very quiet and last a very long time, compared to others I have tried.

The Hawks are less money and are a good pad and great value but the dust is high and I believe it is still somewhat corrosive, they may have changed the compound I do not know for sure.

EBC pads are better than their rotors and are also ceramic based like Carbotech. I have not used them however and have not run into many guys at the track using them so....:shrug:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Jimmy, I am going to try these pads you recommend next go around. I wish I had seen some of your posts before I bought my ebc's. Although, I am happy with them. I agree about the hawks being corrosive.

Do you know much about DBA? If you do, and they suck, you won't offend me by telling me. The technology seemed interesting when I was researching.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been running the Brembo slotted with Hawk HPS pads and love them. The rotors always look great.

029.gif

010.gif

031.jpg

My buddy just installed those Black EBC rotors on his SUV last week, but it's too soon to tell how they wear just yet.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, I am going to try these pads you recommend next go around. I wish I had seen some of your posts before I bought my ebc's. Although, I am happy with them. I agree about the hawks being corrosive.

Do you know much about DBA? If you do, and they suck, you won't offend me by telling me. The technology seemed interesting when I was researching.
I have read about them and I have seen that some of the track guys are running the 2 piece ones with success, but I have not heard back about the one piece. I love the internal post arrangement and I suspect they are a very good rotor, it is my impression so far that they are anything but cheap. I suspect they are actually a VERY good rotor.

I've been running the Brembo slotted with Hawk HPS pads and love them. The rotors always look great.

029.gif

010.gif

031.jpg

My buddy just installed those Black EBC rotors on his SUV last week, but it's too soon to tell how they wear just yet.

Ron, have you bought these Brembos recently? Do you have a link to where they can be purchased? I was under the impression that the supply had largely dried up. Those are one of the best, most robust one piece rotors we have been able to try that are or were very reasonably priced.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I have read about them and I have seen that some of the track guys are running the 2 piece ones with success, but I have not heard back about the one piece. I love the internal post arrangement and I suspect they are a very good rotor, it is my impression so far that they are anything but cheap. I suspect they are actually a VERY good rotor.

Ron, have you bought these Brembos recently? Do you have a link to where they can be purchased? I was under the impression that the supply had largely dried up. Those are one of the best, most robust one piece rotors we have been able to try that are or were very reasonably priced.

The fronts came with the M-2300-X kit. Rears and Pads I picked up from Maximum Motorsports: Brembo : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Tire Rack has them listed also: Brembo Sport Slotted Rotors

Front: Estimated Availability: 11/15/10

Rear: Estimated Availability: 10/15/10

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member

Jimmy thanks for the Bobcat pad suggestion. I'm going to order a set front & rear. I'm redoing my brakes this yr. on a side note the gold tinted rotors I believe are avalable on tire rack. Is there a reason why the gold tinted brembo's are better ?

Empty V

Established Member
I've got the said SUV with the sport rotors. Before I had DBA slotted rotors which were pretty awesome. I just finished the bedding process on the new rotors and pads and so far I can't tell a difference. The difference in price though is insane. The DBA slotted rotors were $125/ea, the EBC's retail for $275/ea. Here's a pic upon first installation. The black coating wore off quickly.

aa4f4409.jpg

c13af16e.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Had bad luck with EBCs as well. What you need to do is send a PM to 007. Hes the resident brake expert and can get you great deals on pads/rotors

Roushbabe

Established Member
Thanks for the people who gave me insight on my issue. I've been hearing a lot that EBC's aren't that great/reliable. I'm leaning towards spending a few extra bucks and just getting Powerslot rotors. I'll post up a thread of my install once it's done

95PGTTech

Established Member
Had the EBC with the black coating dimpled and slotted on the back. With Hawk pads. Used the Hawk pads before and loved them. Ever since the rotors I have a noise at all speeds, increasing with speed, that sounds very much like crickets. Changed rear calipers, hardware, everything, bled the brakes, new lines, lubed everything.

Still have it. Friend with 02 Focus ZX2 picked up a set of the same EBC rotors and greenstuff pads for $100 shipped of eBay when he needed brakes. Same issues as me, we have not been able to resolve. I do know of a local STi running YellowStuff pads on stock rotors and he loves them, but the consensus on the rotors is that the coating wears off quickly and they make horrific NVH concerns.

greengt88

Established Member
KVR Performance....great stuff. Brembos are definitely discontinued....also stop-tech is a good option. Check my sig. For my brake setup....the rears stay really clean, using pads that came with the brembo kit on the front....they r very dirty! EBC is chinese junk, they sell it at pep boys for god sake! I say stick with powerslot or check out KVR they have great prices and products, probably a notch above powerslot.....they r in canada though so expect to pay a little more for shipping and have a little longer wait time after u order......they have many finish options... I had black coated ones one my fox and they looked great for 3+ yrs. Check their site KVR Performance Brakes

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just a friendly little reminder to everyone in this thread

PLEASE!!! ALWAYS!!! Bed in your brake pads using the manufacturers guidelines.
Look them up, print them out and follow them to the letter.

When installing new rotors... ALWAYS season them with the recommended method! If the manufacturer does not have a guide and does not recommend doing this, look up another manufacturers guide and use that!

I would never in a million years install rotors that had ANY kind of coating in the fire path/swept area. Sand that crap off before you try bedding in your pads. It is just going to cake up the pads and inhibit the transfer of pad material onto the rotor and diminish your brake torque and probably make a bunch of noise as well.

Notice most of the high end rotor guys only have coatings on the non-swept areas?? There is a reason for that.

DO NOT FORGET THE BEDDING PROCESS!
This is more important than which brand you buy!!!

Last edited:

big dad

Established Member
I'll chime in on this. I recently installed front and rear drilled and slotted rotors from RotorPros. They cost me $160 for all four. So far, I've had no problems, except an increase in brake dust, which I didn't have with the stock rotors. I researched these rotors before I purchased them, and the guys that had them, give them a thumbs up.

Users who are viewing this thread