Electronic Key Fob

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Today, I tried starting my ‘12 GT500 only to find all lights on my dash light up put the engine did not turn over. I immediately changed the key fob and the car started right up. Both keys are the OEM. The questions I have is:

Could the battery ( it is the original) in the fob run out of juice and needs to be replaced? AND

Will a low juiced battery prevent the car from starting?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

merkyworks

Established Member
Just to be clear when you say key fob you are referring to the key less entry remote and the physical steel key that combine into one unit right?
Capture.JPG

If so then the battery is only there for key less entry features and has nothing to do with starting the car. It sounds like something in your PATS system might be acting up or it forgot one of your keys. You can try reprogramming the key to the car but you will need two working key in order to do this, otherwise a dealership has to reprogram the key.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you tried the original key since? If so, what happened? Agree with merkyworks. If you still have the OEM battery in your car, it's now seven years old and another likely suspect.

RBB

Established Member
This happens to me from time to time. I suspect it's the sensor on the clutch pedal.
Same here. I have a new sensor, just haven't gotten around to swapping it out since it's so sporadic and I hate trying to contort myself to get under the dash.

RBB

Established Member
@RBB even when youre getting paid to do your best human pretzel impression, it sucks. lol
For sure. I was wiring some new gauges up a few months ago and figured I would just take care of the sensor then....decided against it after trying to contort myself into position. Next time I have my seat out I'll get it done, that seems to make it much more tolerable.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Just to be clear when you say key fob you are referring to the key less entry remote and the physical steel key that combine into one unit right?
View attachment 1508903

If so then the battery is only there for key less entry features and has nothing to do with starting the car. It sounds like something in your PATS system might be acting up or it forgot one of your keys. You can try reprogramming the key to the car but you will need two working key in order to do this, otherwise a dealership has to reprogram the key.

Yes, I am referring to that combination key. I’ll still change the Battery at a minimum said nice it is the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Have you tried the original key since? If so, what happened? Agree with merkyworks. If you still have the OEM battery in your car, it's now seven years old and another likely suspect.

It’s done this before and seems to sporadic. However, this particular time..... the car would not start after several attempts and pulled by the key from the ignition.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Same here. I have a new sensor, just haven't gotten around to swapping it out since it's so sporadic and I hate trying to contort myself to get under the dash.

I had a new clutch safety switch to Natalie’s last year when the dealer looked into the sporadic starting. Is the sensor your referring to one and the same as the clutch safety switch.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Just to clarify, the battery has nothing to do with the programmed steel blade of the key?

merkyworks

Established Member
Yes, the key/fob I referenced in my 1st post has nothing to do with the programming of the steel key.

Edit: One of my extra keys is just a plain key, no key less remote integrated into it. This key was one of the 2 keys I used to program a new key I got so if a battery was needed then this would not have worked.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
As stated above, the “key fob” portion of the key has no bearing on PATS. The PATS system doesn’t require a battery or even an operable keyless entry fob, in order to work properly.

Next time it doesn’t start with the key, mark it so that you know which one is which. Then start it with the other key. If it starts, shut it off and immediately try the key that didn’t work again. If it still doesn’t work, it’s likely something to do with the PATS transponder in the key. If it does work, than it’s probably just coincidental and has something more to do with the clutch position switch.

In my experience, once the PATS system F’s up, it usually isn’t hit or miss, it’s all or nothing. I had to have my tuner disarm the PATS system in one of my older Mustangs because it just randomly stopped working with all of my keys. I don’t know if it can still be tuned out as easily in these cars; that car was a 2000 GT.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
As stated above, the “key fob” portion of the key has no bearing on PATS. The PATS system doesn’t require a battery or even an operable keyless entry fob, in order to work properly.

Next time it doesn’t start with the key, mark it so that you know which one is which. Then start it with the other key. If it starts, shut it off and immediately try the key that didn’t work again. If it still doesn’t work, it’s likely something to do with the PATS transponder in the key. If it does work, than it’s probably just coincidental and has something more to do with the clutch position switch.

In my experience, once the PATS system F’s up, it usually isn’t hit or miss, it’s all or nothing. I had to have my tuner disarm the PATS system in one of my older Mustangs because it just randomly stopped working with all of my keys. I don’t know if it can still be tuned out as easily in these cars; that car was a 2000 GT.

I’ll try that starting it again with the usual key. The key that the car started up on was the one I don’t use as often. They are identifiable as the one I hardly use has the factory tag on it. I was leaning on a key issue because the clutch pedal switch was changed in July 2017 due to sporadic starting.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The key turns all the way right, the car just doesn’t fire?

If it’s the same key that does it all the time and it’s consistent, im gonna lean toward a PATS problem and if that’s the case, I’d get that checked sooner than later. If the PATS system somehow goes belly up, you’ll be stranded with no options but to tow.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
The key turns all the way right, the car just doesn’t fire?

If it’s the same key that does it all the time and it’s consistent, im gonna lean toward a PATS problem and if that’s the case, I’d get that checked sooner than later. If the PATS system somehow goes belly up, you’ll be stranded with no options but to tow.

The key does turn all the way. All normal lights on the dash will come on. The car sporadically will not fire up. When it did not fire up the last time, I changed keys and it fired right up.

Users who are viewing this thread