Elio Motors 84mpg "car" for $6800

allister

Established Member
Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

It's actually classified as a motorcycle and most will need a class M license to drive, so not sure why they're calling it a car, but it's still a really neat concept. Has heat, a/c, wipers. Can go upto 100 mph and can go from 0-60mph in less than 10 seconds.

They start production next year. I hope it all goes well, I'm already looking forward to buying one. Just imagine what it's going to do for the economy, and environment. :rockon:

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
cool concept, but no thanks. I'll keep my v8 cars and trucks, that thing is hideous and a deathtrap.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I don't understand how in the FAQ they claim it is classified as motorcycle, but then say you probably won't need a motorcycle license.

Posted via Topify using Android

allister

Established Member
I'm not sure either. I read that right now they're working on legislation so that you don't have to wear a helmet when driving it.

It's like they want it classified as a motorcycle so that you don't have to pass all the safety ratings and whatever else like a car has, but it probably drives and rides more like a car than a bike, so why need a class M? Not sure but will be interesting to see how it turns out.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I'm not sure either. I read that right now they're working on legislation so that you don't have to wear a helmet when driving it.

It's like they want it classified as a motorcycle so that you don't have to pass all the safety ratings and whatever else like a car has, but it probably drives and rides more like a car than a bike, so why need a class M? Not sure but will be interesting to see how it turns out.

its nothing more than one of those 3 wheels motorcycles with a cab around it.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
cool for a pure commuter I guess. No passengers, no room for groceries, or anything really. I don't see how you wouldn't need another car with one of these, which kind of defeats the point.....

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
EVERY family needs one of these.

Elio-Motors-shot04-200x150.jpg

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
How about bring the deisel powered cars over in Europe to the states? Their AVERAGE mpg is 40. Our average is less than 20.

Wait. That probably makes wayyyyy too much sense for the gov't.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
How about bring the deisel powered cars over in Europe to the states? Their AVERAGE mpg is 40. Our average is less than 20.

Wait. That probably makes wayyyyy too much sense for the gov't.

Do they meet our emission standards?

I read that Honda was testing a clean diesel, but after diesel prices went up I never heard anything about it.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Do they meet our emission standards?

I read that Honda was testing a clean diesel, but after diesel prices went up I never heard anything about it.

Our gov't can test thousands of atomic bombs, but we have to comply with emission standards... Total BS. Anyways, there aren't any emissions where I live so idk? If you live in liberalfornia it may be a problem.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I don't understand how in the FAQ they claim it is classified as motorcycle, but then say you probably won't need a motorcycle license.

Posted via Topify using Android

Same reason a Canam Spyder is listed as a motorcycle due to its design but you dont need a motorcycle license to ride it.

usmc320

Established Member
Actually they are anticipating a 5 star safety rating, and you can get it with a manual transmission too. I think it would make a fun commuter car.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Ultra High Mileage Car : Elio Motors

It's actually classified as a motorcycle and most will need a class M license to drive, so not sure why they're calling it a car, but it's still a really neat concept. Has heat, a/c, wipers. Can go upto 100 mph and can go from 0-60mph in less than 10 seconds.

They start production next year. I hope it all goes well, I'm already looking forward to buying one. Just imagine what it's going to do for the economy, and environment. :rockon:

cool for a pure commuter I guess. No passengers, no room for groceries, or anything really. I don't see how you wouldn't need another car with one of these, which kind of defeats the point.....

Several guys here at work actually have them pre-ordered/on waiting list. We've been watching the progrees for over a year. Several of us went see it when they came through Baton Rouge on their tour.

I may be getting one myself for work.
They are bigger than you think on the inside.

Over 40 states have already exemped it from the helmet laws.
Most states laws are written that anything under 4 wheels is a motorcycle. They are fine with that part due to less testing and emissions crap but not good with the helmet.

It does have side airbags also.

Users who are viewing this thread