Emissions and system readiness whipple boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue 07

Established Member
Spoke with Pete yesterday, they found the issue in the tune for the 02 sensors and has rewritten the tune from scratch for another person with a 2013 GT 500 and it passed with no issues ! Just need to download the new tune, install it, and should be good to go.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Not much of an update..I'm going e85 so when I switch over and have it retuned I will put some green cats on. Really only way to get this to work.

bottle fed 14

Established Member
I had this same problem 02 not ready my problem was I had an 02 going bad not bad enough to set a code but would not come up ready finally set a code replaced 02 comes up ready off road x

Evojayfi21

Established Member
I had to go back to the stock tune as well as drive 60miles at 60-65mph to get mine to pass.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
can't the tuner just turn on the rear o2 sensors and then you run o2 spacers/defoulers to get them to pass? I did this on my daily driver (GTI with hi flow cat downpipe) and it passed just fine. I even bought a obdII scanner to check that everything was ready before I went for inspection. As long as the rear o2's are enabled and you are running spacers, shouldn't everything be good?

Also on a side note the place where I've gotten my o2 spacers from, big daddies garage, makes a spacer with a mini cat inside of it. I would think this would help people running offroad pipes to pass as a regular spacer may not be enough.

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Riptide

Established Member
If it were only that simple. There is more to it in the tune than just having the rear sensors active with defoulers to pass.

My tune is a couple years old and unlocked. I will get the monitors to show as not available which will pass the car for now. Eventually that may not work. Will figure something else out then.

Late model modded cars are a drop in the bucket. I would happily pay an extra 100-150 per year tax to be exempt. Wish they would allow that.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Any update from anybody on this issue?
I'm still driving it trying to maintain a steady load between 12% and 60%, the settings my tuner put in for the tests to run, and staying between 1000-3000 RPM.
So far I've put more mileage on this car this year trying to get this to set than any other kind of driving, it's getting quite ridiculous.

Today I just installed spacers on the rear O2 sensors.
We'll see if they help at all.
Hoping to take the car out on a cruise with the wife later today.

36031476326_3618bbfd4b_o.jpg

36031476006_8715e80b36_o.jpg

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Well, 150 miles now with the spacers in, including about 20 miles today being hard on it, "beating it like a Honda" like a friend would say.
I figured that that's the only kind of driving that I haven't done in the last 2300 miles that I've been fighting this, so why not go out and drive it hard for a bit?
Well, it was fun, but other than almost getting pulled over twice, nothing else really exciting happened.
O2's still incomplete.

A friend says the holes at the end of the spacers are too small, and that the spacers are too long, taking the sensor way out of the exhaust stream.
He might be on to something there.
Next thing for me is to remove the spacers and go drive it hard again, see what happens.
Hope I don't get a ticket.

Riptide

Established Member
At least you can get your spacers in/out without removing the midpipe. Makes it pretty easy.

Speaking for myself I'd already be done with this were I you. See if you can get a tune that isn't encrypted. Get HP Tuner. Modify the tune so the sensors show as not available on the scan. Get the car passed. Then maybe work on a longer term solution after the immediate issue is out of the way.

If you have to pass a sniff test and/or visual ignore everything I just said lol. :p

This weekend I'm checking the monitors. If they haven't passed by then I'm taking my spacers out and am going to mod my tune to get me by for now. Long term solution is to possibly replace the sensors and then work on the tune to see if I can get the monitors to pass without disabling the tests. It takes time, patience, and expertise to do it.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Well, how's this for an update?

36119699311_bffd18ae2d_o.jpg

My O2'S went ready this afternoon.
This morning I went up to Performance Dyno and Josh did a couple revisions, went for a drive cruising at about 50-55 for about 10 minutes and the catalyst went ready, something that hasn't happened that quick before.
So he adjusted fuel trims a bit to get them closer to zero, did another quick road test, and let me go on my way.
About 5-7 minutes later the catalyst went ready.
I drove home, we take both cars and head up to the weekly cruise night and as I was parking the sensors went ready.
So now I just have the EVAP monitor which I don't really need to have ready for a sticker, but it will probably go ready overnight after the car sits at least 8 hours.

This has now happened with the stock cats I haven't replaced yet, no O2 spacers, the smallest pulley I've installed, the 3.125", and the rest of the combo that had me at 608 rwhp.

Looking forward to my sticker Monday morning! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread