engine rebuild vs reman

Dave.O

Established Member
My 99 4.6 4V (yes I know it is new edge but the terminator forum get more traffic) started dumping white smoke out exhaust at road course on Saturday.
oil pouring out of intake tube, very poor idle.
disconnected intake tube, lots of oil appears to have come in through breather line in passenger side valve cover.
pulled plugs, all have oil on them, one cylinder has 0 compression all others were with in 20 psi of each other. the plug in bad cylinder looks like it was in a sand storm (less than a month old).
I suspect rings went bad and it pressurized the crank case, it only ran for 60 seconds once the smoke began to get off track, consumed 1+ qt of oil in that time.

So... it is obvious the motor has major issues. The question is does it make more sense to rebuild this motor or to buy a reman engine?
Reman is probably easier but then I am always concerned about the quality of the detail parts such gaskets, fittings, fasteners etc.
I am in Houston, I am open to machine shop / rebuilder recommendations.
before some one says coyote swap, I can't drop 8-10K$ on this.
I'm also no looking to build a 500hp mod motor either, rebuild stock or possibly upgrade to 03 heads with good valve job.
I'm more concerned with track reliability than hp #'s so having it built to tight tolerances is most important to me.
thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Since you want to track the car I'd look into rebuilding what you have. You don't want to add an iron block if you don't have to. If your stock heads aren't trashed I'd have them cleaned up and re-use them. If you're never going to put FI on it you don't need heavy duty pistons or anything.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Dave.O

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I think this is where I am leaning.
hopefully the pistons aren't damaged and I can just get away with new rings, bearings, seals, gaskets.
given that this is a 90K motor (I suspect), should I replace oil pump?
I'm also debating on heaving the heads freshened with new guides, any thought on that cost?
I also assuming 90K, will I need new timing components?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
It's likely you damaged a piston so plan on replacing pistons. You'll need those, rings, bearings, gaskets etc. You can replace your timing chains and chain arms, everything else can be left as is. Have your heads checked out, but I wouldn't go crazy fixing something that isn't broken. If you ever plan for boost, consider different rods.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
No inexpensive way out. My Aluminator build was over $11,000, with all the labor (except block machining) done by me. It helped that my OE engine had low miles and was sold for decent money, but these projects are not cheap. All the details in sig...

Dave.O

Established Member
No boost on this one, I already have an '03.
Im also not really trying to build a 500 hp car either.

Can any one recommend a shop for a rebuild in Houston?
I can pull the motor myself
thanks for the replies

Users who are viewing this thread