Engine tick

PeteStang94

Established Member
hi guys, so I'm planning on buying a terminator on Monday, it has 36k miles and I'll be buying it for 19k;however, it has this tick on cold start up but goes away once the engine warms up. I was thinking head tick but if I'm not mistaken doesn't it get worse after the engine is warmed up? I'm leaning towards a possible splash adjuster or cam roller. I just want to know what you guys think before I pull the trigger on buying it. I took a video for you guys to hear as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

bigmoose

Established Member
I'd be conservative and pass on the car. That tick sounds bad and it could end up costing you thousands. You can find ones without a tick within your budget.

PeteStang94

Established Member
I'd be conservative and pass on the car. That tick sounds bad and it could end up costing you thousands. You can find ones without a tick within your budget.
Thanks for your input, that's what I was fearful off. I didn't want to buy it then end up dumping a ton of money in it. I found one in Alabama that I'm interested in. So I'm sure some more will pop up.

PeteStang94

Established Member
I'm thinking it could be a piston slap, is it common with these cars? I've been reading a few threads and a lot of people are saying it's common thing with these motors, I don't know if you anything about that?

Rambro

Established Member
My car has made a piston slapping noise like that for years now. A recent comp test says all cylinders are still happy. Mines not as loud as that but it does quiet down when fully warmed up. I used to run 30 weight and switched to 40 weight and its noticeably quieter now.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm thinking it could be a piston slap, is it common with these cars? I've been reading a few threads and a lot of people are saying it's common thing with these motors, I don't know if you anything about that?

I couldn't hear it very clearly, but piston slap would probably be my first guess too. I've seen LOTS of assorted engines (various manufacturers) with piston slap. My Chevy truck has a little bit of it. I used to own a LS1 Vette, which had a ton of slap.

richie_1

Established Member
I have the same problem it’s gonna be the heads that causing it I would pass and get something else

Beetle6986

Established Member
My car has made a piston slapping noise like that for years now. A recent comp test says all cylinders are still happy. Mines not as loud as that but it does quiet down when fully warmed up. I used to run 30 weight and switched to 40 weight and its noticeably quieter now.

I think it is just piston slap. Mine has made the same noise since I purchased it back in 2004. I have almost 40k miles on it now. It can be very loud in the winter time on cold starts. It always goes completely away withing a few minutes. This is not the head tick issue that happens when the car gets warm.

Users who are viewing this thread