Exhaust Alignment

AgilePony

Established Member
Anybody have any tips for getting the exhaust parallel to the ground and aligned properly? I have brand new borla stingers that seem to want to be higher up in the middle then on the sides. Which also causes them to be very very close to the differential. It seems like the exhaust hanger by the differential is keeping the exhaust higher in the middle then the sides. I am going to remove the tips completely and put them back in just in case. I will upload some pictures soon so that you can get a idea of what I am talking about. I did use the rubber hangers from my solid rear are there differences in the rubber hangers used between cobras and GTs? Any help would be much appreciated.

AgilePony

Established Member
Here are some pics of my issue. I just realized that maybe it is because of my FTBR rear diff lowering mount.

Attachments

• 20170222_225002.jpg
    20170222_225002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 239
  • 20170222_225015.jpg
    20170222_225015.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214

speedoflife

Established Member
Man this right here is the bane of mu existence. I've spent so much time trying to keep my exhaust even....
My driver side pipe actually hits the differential where your second pic is. I had to massage (hammer) an area of the pipe so that it would clearance the edge of the differential.
I can't speak as to the exhaust hangers. I'd assume they are the same but I don't know. It takes a little bit of trial and error to get everything aligned right from my experience. It should be possible to get the pipe nearly (if not perfectly) parallel with the ground.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When adjusting the pipes, it helps a lot to have a second set of eyes to tell you when the alignment is perfect. Doing it with one person ends up being trial and error. Too bad you don't have access to a lift. Makes exhaust work like this much easier.

AgilePony

Established Member
Bane of your existence is some serious hate towards this lol. I gave it about 3 hours last night and am determined to make some progress tonight. You can't see it in this pic but I stuck a socket in the rubber hanger to stretch it out when compressed without that it was rubbing the differential. I am going to put in the other side to see if it works any better. Thanks for the input.

MG0h3

Established Member
I would think bending the metal hanger on the exhaust would be better than playing with the hanger on the car. They are tight to the diff for sure. I wrapped my exhaust right there.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Just plain old exhaust/header wrap. Had some laying around from a different project.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
3 things you will need to do this job...

1. Rubber mallet
2. Beer
3. Patience

Loosen up every exhaust bolt up to the front. Take your time and torque them down. Took me a lot of sweat, stress and cussing to get them lined up and they haven't moved.

AgilePony

Established Member
Hey update for anyone who looks at this my driver's side middle hanger was off by about 2 inches. I re-bent and it fits pretty well now. However it was to close to my gas tank and differential so I tightened the clamp closest to the tailpipe. Then I loosened the clamp by the midpipe. Then wedged the wooden handle on my mallet between the gas tank and the exhaust and then tightened down the clamp closest to the mid pipe. It hasn't moved and I got enough clearance between my gas tank and diff now. However it's pretty damn low to the ground we will see if it scrapes. The lowered rear diff mount definitely makes things difficult.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I just got done hanging my magnapacks. I put the entire system together but didn't tighten anything down until I got a floor jack under each muffler. I started at the midpipe and worked my way to the back. It tucked up nicely.

Echaust%20setup%20005_zpscgezmy16.jpg

Echaust%20setup%20003_zpsenlkbmah.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread