F1 Flambeau!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
fuelspill.gif

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I doubt it will with the way they are going with safety. The halo they are doing next year is terrible.

The Halo looks TERRIBLE!!! They were finally making strides to regulate cars that look good again. Wider, longer, lower, all good things. Not to mention that the shark fins and T-wings are going to be gone next year too. The cars were going to look fantastic! But now, with the Halo, they're going to look bizarre.

I get it that Vettel got disoriented when he was driving it, but it's different from what he's used to so yes, it's going to take some getting acclimated to. Plus, it was a retro-fit! A ground up design would be much clearer. If they can do it for fighter jets, there's no reason that they can't do it for F1 cars.

AAAHHH! Just when I think F1 is headed in the right direction, they go and screw it up!

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Just go closed cockpit! I get it that the purists will scoff at the sheer mention, but we all know that's where they are headed. So why waste time with anything in between? It also helps that all of the renderings that I've seen look incredible.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Just a quick search:

Attachments

• 2015-ClosedCockpitF1-05.jpg
    2015-ClosedCockpitF1-05.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 87
  • f f1.jpg
    f f1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 101
  • rb f1.jpg
    rb f1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 88

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Better sizes:

Attachments

• Ferrari Closed Cockpit.jpg
    Ferrari Closed Cockpit.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 98
  • x7BaF.jpg
    x7BaF.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 90

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
What is the point of the Halo anyway? Would it have stopped the injury to Massa? Probably not. Would it have saved Jules? I doubt it, not sure if it can stop a car instantly instead of going under the crane. Would it have saved Senna? Nope. I just don't see the point, and having a bar right in front of the driver's face seems way more disorienting and dangerous.

The Webber crash in Valencia and Alonso's crash in Australia (most dramatic recent ones I can remember) were without this goofy Halo and those guys were just fine, as the cars are extremely safe already. The Jules crash was an absolute freak accident, and if the car went a few feet to either side he would be around today uninjured. Voting for something like this in spite of every F1 team vetoing it is not the right move for the FIA.

Coiled03

Established Member
Bring back re-fueling. Don't really care what the dangers are, within reason. Racing is a dangerous sport. Don't want to deal with it, don't race.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just want them to bring back the V8. They can get the same fuel mileage. Testing has shown this. With new technology and with the heavy ass KERS system removed, they can get the same performance and mileage. The Turbo V6 is nothing more than a marketing ploy to look "eco friendly" It takes a certain amount of air and fuel to make a certain amount of power, no matter how many cylinders you have.

Oh, and Puck Pirelli! They screwed this whole season up by basically making every tire equally hard.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Better sizes:

That looks nice until your upside or smashed up against a wall and on fire. Like mentioned above Jules was a freak accident and I don't think any of these designs would have saved him. It might have help Massa with the spring incident but I feel it actually increases the danger with a full cockpit. I know a few drivers expressed concern about being trapped inside, not to mention how hot it is in the car already.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I just want them to bring back the V10. They can get the same fuel mileage. Testing has shown this. With new technology and with the heavy ass KERS system removed, they can get the same performance and mileage. The Turbo V6 is nothing more than a marketing ploy to look "eco friendly" It takes a certain amount of air and fuel to make a certain amount of power, no matter how many cylinders you have.

Oh, and Puck Pirelli! They screwed this whole season up by basically making every tire equally hard.

FTFY

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That looks nice until your upside or smashed up against a wall and on fire. Like mentioned above Jules was a freak accident and I don't think any of these designs would have saved him. It might have help Massa with the spring incident but I feel it actually increases the danger with a full cockpit. I know a few drivers expressed concern about being trapped inside, not to mention how hot it is in the car already.

No lie there. I was watching with my wife when JB was hit. She knows nothing about F1, but she said there is no way he is still alive. That was as violent as it could have been. I blame F1 for not bringing up a full course caution while recovery vehicles were inside of the barrier. I said right before it happened that I couldn't believe that they were running in the wet with a green flag waving and rec. teams inside the race area. Then immediate... bam! Then at the tower where he hits the fork truck, the damn guy is still just sitting there waving the green flag until someone climbs up the ladder and tells them to pull the yellow.. WTF!

For those that haven't seen it. There is not way a full caged cockpit would have saved his life.. At about 1:09

Graphic!!!

awful knawful

Established Member
I was watching when Bianci got killed too.
Was a caution or race stoppage? Just slid right into the back of that loader! Direct shot to the head. Crazy how fast shit happens!

Users who are viewing this thread