Finally jumping in.... Track day

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Some of you may have seen my other threads. I bought my Boss new almost 5 years ago. I have finally decided to do a HPDE outing in the Boss. I have done track days before, but never in my Boss. I'm aware of the usual check list of what to do before. Is there anything anyone might add to it?
I'm going to use my stock wheels and tires for it. I realize in time I will want to do track dedicated wheels/tires, but just to get out there I'm using these. They have been sitting in the garage for 2 years. They are in good shape with no dry rot, but look shiny.... I'm going to put them on and run them on the street to get them back in shape. Any advise or comments on that?
Thanks in advance for any help!

noldevin

Established Member
I'd be wary of tires that have been sitting 2 years, but that is ultimately your call.
The usual checklist stuff should cover you for now. Fresh fluids (especially dot4 brake fluid), good brake pads, a helmet...

Swine

Established Member
Nothing wrong with the tires, if anything the lack of grip due to age would make life easier on your brake pad and rotor life. You also learn more alot lower grip levels, and get the opportunity to really manipulate chassis control and learn what to much manipulation is.

I have noticed my stock 13' boss with oem Pzeros and 36k miles on them is incredibly ass happy in their current state on the street. I would setup my shocks stiff front soft rear and adjust tire pressure accordingly to help manage that situation. Not sure hows your car is handling

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
My 2 p's. Original Pirellis at 41 psi & 4 shocks set at 5. Will adjust t tire pressure lower depending on how it is sticking. Track surface & temperature have an effect.
Have racing springs, lwr cont arms & Panhard.
Run SCCA SOLO. Very satisfied with handling.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Yes P-zeros..... I could run my 20in wheels with big staggered NT05s.... 255Front 305Rear.
I was thinking the stock wheels tires would be better as I doubt I will use them otherwise. Ultimately I would want a square 18" setup I suppose. But one step at a time.
I am also considering new pads for the event. Eventually new rotors for track use too.... But again, one step at a time.
There is a chance I will do one event and the car will get rock chips or some kind of issue and I'll be done with it.... That's why I haven't been out there yet.

Last edited:

barstowpo

Established Member
You might also consider track day insurance. It is kind of pricey but it would help if you wadded up your car. Usually the deductible is 10%.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Recommend Power Stop pads.. Low dust & good stopping for tack.
Have them on my Boss & 2015 Corvette, both of which I race.
Which type of pads... Do you use the track day kit including rotors?

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thanks! A buddy of mine saw a set of 18" track wheels and tires locally that I'm going to check out too.

_Snake_

Established Member
Nothing wrong with running the PZero's if they're in good shape. Mine hardened and it was like always driving on a wet road. As you touched on, take them out and see how they are before going to the track. A few hard pulls / stops should be all you need to test them.

When / where's the event? IIRC, we live in the same neck of the woods and also I'm starting to get the HPDE itch. I doubt I'd jump in on this one even if there was an open spot, but I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

Last edited:

Grant808

Established Member
I'd put brake ducts at the top of the list. Fresh fluids after that. Brake, oil, diff, and trans. Any 5 year old fluids would be a *bad* idea for track duty.

Do the rest of the stuff mentioned in the Boss supplement for track use if you can too. Remove the rear dust shields, trans cooling scoop.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Nothing wrong with running the PZero's if they're in good shape. Mine hardened and it was like always driving on a wet road. As you touched on, take them out and see how they are before going to the track. A few hard pulls / stops should be all you need to test them.

When / where's the event? IIRC, we live in the same neck of the woods and also I'm starting to get the HPDE itch. I doubt I'd jump in on this one even if there was an open spot, but I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.
I plan on putting the Pzeros on and drive with them, if ok then re-balance them and drive on them a lot more before the event. It's SCCA Track Night in America. It's resonable and I have a few buddies that have been doing them at PBIR the last few years. If you have interest in coming out, let me know. This is my "ease into it" event. If I get bit by the track bug there are a lot of groups to get on track with. In the past I've driven Sebring and Homestead as well. PBIR is literally 15 min from my house. So it makes good sense to start there.

IamRacerX

Established Member
I'd put brake ducts at the top of the list. Fresh fluids after that. Brake, oil, diff, and trans. Any 5 year old fluids would be a *bad* idea for track duty.

Do the rest of the stuff mentioned in the Boss supplement for track use if you can too. Remove the rear dust shields, trans cooling scoop.
My trans and Dif fluids are fresh. Brake and oil will be fresh right before the event. I plan on doing pads as well. If I do get bit by the track bug after this first event I will look to do the cooling ducts for sure. I have a hunch a new clutch might end up on that list too.

Grant808

Established Member
If you're doing pads, I wouldn't worry about the ducts so much for this event since you have previous experience.

And it's tough not to get bitten by the track bug a 2nd time. After nearly a 20yr track hiatus...within a month of a track day in September 2011, I added the Boss to my stable in October.

Good luck and have fun!

IamRacerX

Established Member
If you're doing pads, I wouldn't worry about the ducts so much for this event since you have previous experience.

And it's tough not to get bitten by the track bug a 2nd time. After nearly a 20yr track hiatus...within a month of a track day in September 2011, I added the Boss to my stable in October.

Good luck and have fun!
I did a few HPDE in the mid 2000s in a e46 M3 I used to own. I also have autocross experience. I've been doing manufactures track events the last several years too. So I've been on track some, just not in my Boss.
Thanks for your input.

_Snake_

Established Member
I plan on putting the Pzeros on and drive with them, if ok then re-balance them and drive on them a lot more before the event. It's SCCA Track Night in America. It's resonable and I have a few buddies that have been doing them at PBIR the last few years. If you have interest in coming out, let me know. This is my "ease into it" event. If I get bit by the track bug there are a lot of groups to get on track with. In the past I've driven Sebring and Homestead as well. PBIR is literally 15 min from my house. So it makes good sense to start there.

Thanks man, definitely appreciate the invite. That's a pretty long haul from Bradenton......hit me up after you get the bug and are going to Sebring (which I predict will be right after this outing). Lol

Users who are viewing this thread