Finally jumping in.... Track day

boomstick33

Established Member
you'll have a great time on the track in the Boss! My first year of running I didn't really put any mods on, just ran it stock to get the feel for the track & the Boss. you've done the easiest mods: dot4 fluid & pads. I would definitely get tires/wheels next. I installed the Ford Racing Boss lowering kit too & went with 18x9's & 18x10's with Nitto NT01's all the way around. Great tire, sticks like glue. I also installed new stainless brake lines front & rear this year, adjustable rear lower control arms, & I'm in the middle of adding the Cobra Jet intake/throttle body/cold air intake too. Track Night in America is a pretty good time for the price, I definitely enjoy it.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Is there a disadvantage to running Torco vs race fuel?

_Snake_

Established Member
Since you're using it as a mix to raise octane by a few points, not really. In this situation I'd go for whatever is easiest.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Another quick question.... I'm running stock wheels and tires.... Anyone have a tire pressure suggestion? I was thinking 40 all the way around... But any help is good!

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Tire pressure is a complicated issue and also depends somewhat on your camber settings and driving style. The best way to determine is to use a pyrometer across the face of your tire (inner, middle, outer) and adjust pressure until they are fairly even in temp.

http://www.turnology.com/tech-stori...ny-brown-setting-tire-pressure-for-the-track/

http://949racing.com/using-a-tire-pyrometer-949-Racing.aspx

You can use one of those cheap infrared heat guns with the laser designator but they are not as accurate and you'll have to turn your wheels from side to side to get a clear shot at the treads.

Starting off with 40 psi cold seems high since your psi may go up substantially based on the track temp and how hard you're driving.

noldevin

Established Member
I definitely wouldn't start at 40. I start at 30-35 and usually wind up letting air out each session as the pressure builds with heat

FKing1

Established Member
Owner's Manual suggests 41.
I try to keep 41 all around for Autocross checking after each run and adjusting to keep 41. Sometimes will adjust front or rear up or down depending on how the car is handling. Race surface of course has an effect.

noldevin

Established Member
The door jam sticker on mine says 32.
For autocross you don't have to worry about pressure increasing as much because the tires don't get enough time to heat up.
On the road course, each time I go out the pressure creeps up by at least 5 psi, sometimes 8 or 9 in the beginning of the day. You definitely wouldn't want to start at 41 in that case.

I usually start at 30 for autocross and use chalk lines on the sidewall to see if it's scrubbing.
For the road course i start at 25 and shoot for 30-35 hot, sometimes also using the chalk lines to see how far the tire is rolling over.

Ideally you want your pressure where the chalk rubs off right at the edge of the tread. I bet if you tried the chalk trick at 40 you'll find you're leaving a lot of tread unused.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thanks guys... I did My track day Tuesday. I ended up starting the session at 34 psi all the way around. I let a little out before each subsequent sessions to keep the tires at 34-35-ish.
Overall I had a great time however the tires were not up to the duty. The first session I was fighting them mightily! Session 2 and 3 were a bit better but still very greasy feeling. My driving too was a bit rusty initially. It was a little disheartening getting passed by much slower for vehicles that were track prepped and on race tires. I was very limited at corner exits... Seem to be on the edge of understeer and oversteer every exit... Also could not get the power down at all unless the car was perfectly straight. I guess that's what I get for taking out a set of five-year-old Pirelli Pzeros.
It was exciting though to hear and feel the boss on track. Definitely was worth it. I look forward to getting some better tires and getting back out there soon.

FKing1

Established Member
Thanks for the update.
Doing years 1st SCCA SOLO Sunday at MIS parking lot.
Will use previous 41 psi & 5 on shocks that has worked well in the past.
Update Monday.

IamRacerX

Established Member
I will also add, the days since my track day I have been craving taking my Boss for a spirited drive. Also on my daily commute in my SS Sedan I have been charging around on ramps. I've always enjoyed driving spiritedly, but I now want to run through the gears and around corners in a way that I can not on the street...... Guess I need to sign up for another track day :)

_Snake_

Established Member
Hook, line, and sinker. Lol

Glad to hear you had fun in spite of the tire opportunities. Especially glad to hear both you and the car came home without a scratch.

FKing1

Established Member
Concrete surface and cool temps not good for traction.
Slid around runs 1& 2, dropped air to 35 which helped.
Corner tire wear looks like 35 psi was right on.
5 runs at MIS big lot, 43 to 55 sec runs.
Boss is a blast to race.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Concrete surface and cool temps not good for traction.
Slid around runs 1& 2, dropped air to 35 which helped.
Corner tire wear looks like 35 psi was right on.
5 runs at MIS big lot, 43 to 55 sec runs.
Boss is a blast to race.
Good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread