fishpick's 2012 Coyote Vert Build Thread (Base GT Convertible)

fishpick

Established Member
Waited and waited for the one part from Whipple to make it across the US...
IMG_4166.JPG
That's it. Less than 5" of wasted time... (TWSS)
10 days... I basically sourced or fabricated everything else here because I suck at waiting...
Anyhow - it gave me the time I needed to perfectly measure... no - not the bumper cover... I haven't done that yet. But instead the EXACT placement of the BAP in the trunk. Take note Whipple Stage 3 Kit people - you will WANT to install it on the full flat section of the trunk side... you will NEED to install if where I have mine or the tire will hit the BAP. See how at the top of the picture there's like 1/6 of the BAP over the grove in the metal - do that - or you will be upset with yourself.
IMG_4167.JPG
I did mention I got the newly released UPR setup for s197's from 11-14 and this exact blower... The UPR catch can setup on this car is retarded. For all the quality that UPR is - this kit is absolute trash for the money. Why you ask... well - should installing a catch can setup require a trip the hardware store for both a longer bolt on the can bracket itself AND a new longer bolt for the grounds? And then - no matter where you position it - if you have AC lines - it will touch the valve cover... and I had to pull out 2 ends of the breather tubes to switch fittings because they assembled the tubes wrong (their words not mine)... Sorry - for the price - this should be plug and play, and for this price EASY plug and play at that - it's not - it hits the valve cover, it's just not what I expected - it's NOT RECCOMENDED by me.
But - it does look damn nice and I'm sure it will work great. :)
So - after screwing with that for a while (hours) - and then filling the intercooler, priming the pump and cycling the key on and off several times to let the IC system burp - it was on to the much anticipated obligatory photo...
IMG_4172.JPG
Yeah baby :D
So what's left? Ohh - well - before I get there... here's one thing I have to tell you is an absolute must if you want to finish things off factory like. See, because I had to rip off all the valve covers and the front timing cover to do the OPG's - you end up breaking all sorts of the plastic push fasteners with the wiring zip ties on them. Sure - you can use a zip tie through the hole - but get yourself a package of these and just redo the exact factory setup... SO easy and clean.
IMG_4174.JPG
So - I'm sure you want to know - did it start? Were there any leaks?

Yes - one leak... some retard didn't close the petcock in the FRPP radiator... aside from that...
This is the honest to god "got out of the car and pressed record" video of the first start up... just for you lads here!
Car cranked for maybe 3 seconds - fired up - idle was a tad high for maybe 5 seconds - then it settled right down and ran like a top. Kept burping the radiator hoses and when the thermostat opened - everything flowed as expected - no issues at all. No leaks anywhere either (buying all new gaskets, seals and orings for everything touched in the teardown helped with that).
I'm not "done" still have the bumper cover to carve up and I'm gonna post a bunch of pics on that because it's not photo documented anywhere I can find... and I have a IAT2 probe from Lethal on order that will require adding a pin and a splice to the PCM to get that on the bus. And, probably, I'll dyno tune it at some point because I'd like the tune to be smarter and utilize IAT2 as that's what matters - post screw temps. Anyhow - with the startup...
I let it run to get "hot" and that's when I proved my plan out...
So - as this thread discusses - in addition to the blower I added the FRPP radiator and the GT500 fan. And I did this with a plan in mind... The FRRP radiator - while a LOT larger than the factory one is designed to allow a much more unrestricted airflow through the radiator. That plus the GT500 fan was intended to allow a pull of air through all 4 cooling cores there - radiator, transmission HE, AC HE and the IC HE... and you know what - WOW - it works!
When the car finally got warm enough that the tune called for the fan to provide cooling - when it kicked on not only was it quieter than the stock one (which is good as this is a vert, after all) it pulled so much air that it holds a piece of paper FIRMLY against the supercharger HE... Then - something magical happened... something that NEVER EVER happened on the stock setup - the fan turned off. Never in the stock radiator / fan had I ever witnessed the fan, once it was activated, ever being able to pull enough heat out of the system to satisfy the cooling call and stop. Yet - sitting here parked in a WARM barn - this setup did that - 2X and - with the IC HE infront of all of it. It was also insanely cool to see the cylinder head temps drop when the fan kicked on in my replaced gauge cluster :)
My plan all along was to NOT have to install those 2 LOUD SPAL fans on the IC HE because, again, vert... Before I declare total victory, I do realize this was the best case for the setup w/o the bumper cover on... but even tho it's gonna snow here tomorrow... it's gonna be almost 80 on Monday - so that's my target to get everything buttoned back up and take her out for her maiden voyage... and realize I will be keeping this thread alive with suspension and tire mods because this thing is gonna be a monster!

Last edited:

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
Hey fishpick, great build thread. I also just finished my stage 2 install a few weeks back. I didn't have quite the number of shorts in my kit, only a piece of shrink tube and a few M8 nuts for the intercooler tank. Startup was uneventful just as yours was. I completely understand the benefit to others of documenting the install. The instructions although detailed do leave it some details but nothing to difficult to figure out.
Startup vid, a few cranks, fired right up idled at 1100rpm for a few seconds then right down to 850 rpm.

The kit is very well engineered imo and so far I'm completely satisfied with the factory fit and finish

Sent from my SM-T817W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTStampede

Established Member
Congratulations, your determination paid off.

Any plans to dyno?

I had forgotten that non track/brembo S197s have spare tires, it's weird seeing a tire in there. Could ditch it and be like us cool kids with green slime and a tiny air pump lol....

fishpick

Established Member
Congratulations, your determination paid off.

Any plans to dyno?

I had forgotten that non track/brembo S197s have spare tires, it's weird seeing a tire in there. Could ditch it and be like us cool kids with green slime and a tiny air pump lol....
Thanks man. Very excited about the prospect of the car hitting the roads today for its maiden voyage.
I kinda feel bad for the guy I bought this off of - it was a really nice kit (for the most part) ;)
Here in NY - it's either certified run flats all the way around or a spare in the trunk to pass inspection... so I think I'll keep the spare... cause I am eying the Boss 19" staggered 9's and 10's for wheels / tires... because I know my stocker 18's are not gonna cut it. But - I also don't know squat about rubber for a car like this post-boost and when I get there I'm gonna ask questions and learn so I don't buy for looks but hooking up!
As for the the tune - @Paul. loves his canned Whipple one... and I haven't driven anywhere so I can't tell you if I like it or not. Aside from exhaust, the only mod I ran on the car before the blower was a VMP 93 octane tune and the difference in the auto was night and day - if the Whipple has that kind of tuning, I'll be thrilled... if the transmission is more factory mushy with more power from the blower, I'll look elsewhere.
That said - I do have one "thing" with the car that's gnawing at me and I don't THINK it's a problem here in NY (at least not yet) but that's the VIN in the PCM is not my VIN because of the cluster upgrade... I think I have a way to reflash everything and still with the 2014 code but insert my 2012 actual VIN into the PCM and ABS... if I decide to try that, obviously I NEED a new tune - either Whipple to reissue my current one with the new strategy or an actual one. If I do get there, I'd be debating a dyno tune - was thinking about AED remote and street pulls but you can't use 1st or 2nd for the WOT pull and I have no desire to hit 130 on a highway. So - just don't know. I'm sure Whipple would re-issue my tune for me with the original VIN, they were pretty understanding about that when I requested the tune.

So today is trimming and mounting of the front bumper cover, sticking a 30A fuse in F13 - the fuel pump fuse spot in the fusebox for the BAP, and a oil and filter change (Mobil 1) just to be safe after all work even tho the stuff in there has had less than 30 minutes of runtime on it since last fall... and just a few other odds and ends... and then at LEAST a trip around the block. Here in NY you can't remove car insurance on a registered car but State Farm lets you declare the car has been removed from seasonal service and drops your rate (with the mileage on the car) to like 25%... today - it's listed as back in service!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Can't wait to hear about your impressions on how the car drives. As for remote tuning with AED he will have you do a wot pull in third gear and a part throttle pull to around 5k if I remember right.
Make sure she's pointed straight and both hands on the wheel when you she what she's got today. Be careful if your on your stock tires, it's going to be a spin fest.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

fishpick

Established Member
Can't wait to hear about your impressions on how the car drives. As for remote tuning with AED he will have you do a wot pull in third gear and a part throttle pull to around 5k if I remember right.
Make sure she's pointed straight and both hands on the wheel when you she what she's got today. Be careful if your on your stock tires, it's going to be a spin fest.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
I know - I'm excited and nervous... waiting for the roads to be completely dry from the snow yesterday (no salt tho!!!)
The tires are crap now as it is...
Don't know what happens when you step on it with an auto and traction control and the blower... will it still spin?
So much to learn today!

SVTStampede

Established Member
I actually just switched to an AED tune myself. While I can't speak for the Whipple tune, his tune is night and day compared to the Magnuson tune.

I've had a few blower cars before this, and none have driven smoothly. I would go so far as to say it drives like it came from the factory with the blower, but in reality his tune is even better than that.

With that said, I have a manual so the 3rd gear logs were only to about 100mph(mt82, 3.73, 28.1 tires). I would have concerns about doing it with the auto gearing, especially since I had to do it about 7-8 times for my revisions as he perfected it.

As for traction control, it's near worthless with the supercharger.

fishpick

Established Member
COME ON!

Went to put the bumper cover on an... there is nothing to trim... it just flat out will NOT work with the fog lights on a 2012. The intercooler HAS to be mounted EXACTLY where it is (I know this because when I first mounted it I had the brackets on upside down and the outlet will hit the A/C lines when it's lower). And lower would still not be not enough clearance.
You can see BOTH SIDES have an issue with the fog light plugs and the lights themselves.
IMG_4181.JPG IMG_4182.JPG

Sure I can put a Boss facia on, or a fog light delete - but HONESTLY - I love the lights and the look - it's classic Mustang.

NOT HAPPY...

SVTStampede

Established Member
Well crap man. Not that it helps your frustrations, but look at a 302S grill. It is a Ford part, and functional. The fog holes are still there but it has grills instead of the lights for more air flow. Will help retain the look. I agree with you and it's why I'll be going to that grill myself for more flow.

But that's assuming you aren't just missing something, I could have sworn I'll seen 11-12s with Whipples and stock grills.

fishpick

Established Member
Well crap man. Not that it helps your frustrations, but look at a 302S grill. It is a Ford part, and functional. The fog holes are still there but it has grills instead of the lights for more air flow. Will help retain the look. I agree with you and it's why I'll be going to that grill myself for more flow.

But that's assuming you aren't just missing something, I could have sworn I'll seen 11-12s with Whipples and stock grills.
Well - I yanked and flipped the IC HE (it's now upside down according to the Whipple instructions) - and dicked with the brackets - and - spent the entire day grinding down the bumper... and I changed the oil, put all trim back together and put the wheels back on... and I'm out of time (wife is staring at me as I type this) - TOMORROW - off the jack stands and maiden voyage!
And a post with the issues and pictures and resolutions...

If I can't get it off the jack stands and top off the changed oil with it level... I'll list her for sale - because I'm completely incompetent.

fishpick

Established Member
Here's the pictures and description from the intercooler heat exchanger hitting my fog lamps location issue from yesterday. First, let me start by guessing here - I personally felt like the Whipple installation instructions were great... right up until you started with the intercooler piping, the heat exchanger and the tank. Then things, to me, got less precise in their writeup - for example there are several steps that are segregated into 11/12 or 13/14 - totally understandable... but I had to do some of the 13/14 things on my 12 (like relocate the horn). So I honestly wonder / feel like it's totally possible that my solution is how it's supposed to be on the 11/12 models, and the version of the manual I installed just didn't tell me to flip the HE.
Anyhow - as you can see in this post above, the fog lights totally hit the HE. There's no way the lights stay - and since part of my whole build is the notion of a "sleeper" street car and since my wife and I both like the big fog lights as a "look" on this car so I had to make it work (thanks @SVTStampede for the 302 suggestion).
So - I had plans to make a bracket for the HE bracket to lower it and set it back just a little more... and in the process of pulling it off and moving it around I discovered that if I flipped it over and then put the brackets on and bent them some too - it fit!
IMG_4183.JPG
THIS is how I have the HE and the brackets on the HE set up and how it goes into the car. Of course this required redrilling the 1 1/2" holes through the plastic for the tubing to run - but that's a small price to pay to keep my stock bumper and fog lights.
Then on to the trimming of the bumper. I think I have said before that plastic trim / body work is not my thing... and this project proved it. I spent HOURS trimming, testing, trimming, testing, trimming, testing... I used a wheel grinder and took things off slowly making one hell of a mess.
This is the bumper when I was starting an naive that I was just going to take off a 1/4" here and there.
IMG_4185.JPG
See how cute I was with the little tape there marking the small amount of materials I was going to take off to make things fit... awww, what an optimistic little guy I was.
This is what it looked like just before it fit.
IMG_4188.JPG
But I actually took off more - just got sick of taking photos... Those 2 molded red supports in the middle are GONE - instead I drilled a home in the top and bottom and ran 2 heavy zip ties on both supports to make it rigid again.
I also had to grind down some of the material on the fog light brackets. Not a lot - but some to clear the corners of the HE.
Since I was going crazy with the grinder, I also fixed a pet peeve I have on all modern cars... plastic fixtures that look functional but are not... So now - these "vents" in the lower corners of the bumper are actually vents...
IMG_4189.JPG
So... today is the day... unless I can't get it off the jackstands... and with how this project has languished, that an honest possibility.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4188.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4189.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4183.JPG
    IMG_4183.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 140

fishpick

Established Member
Sunny and 70F here today so I took her out on the maiden voyage.
I have to say I was / am just waiting for something to leak, drip, explode, snap, fall off, implode or otherwise fail. So aside from the deep seated fear that accompanies every maiden voyage with a big build...
Here's the flight plan thus far...
  1. Maiden voyage : I was VERY conservative - down the street and back - 1/4 throttle... then back into the barn for an inspection. All good - noticed mild surging between 1200 and 1600...
  2. Wife got in, we drove around the block (we are rural so that's a 2 mile square)... I jammed on the accelerator once - maybe between 1/2 and 2/3 throttle - while I can't say as I really "felt" it like I guess I was expecting - the car went from 45 to 80 in just a second or so...
  3. We need groceries so off to the supermarket with the wife - the mild surging between 1200 and 1600 was very evident in the 30-35 MPH speed zones and a little annoying when you need to "accelerate" gently out of a turn... that's an upvote already for a custom tune. I had relaxed a little by this point too - and played with the Select-A-Shift and gauges from my cluster upgrade for the first time... Damn cool upgrade that instrument panel replacement.
  4. Put one of the dogs in the car and we went for a joy ride... I got maybe 3/4 into the throttle hard from a slow turn onto the straight away - I was at 80 before I really knew what happened.
So here's my initial thoughts after installing this Whipple 2.9 Front Feed in no particular order...
  • I'm glad to be done and have a car to enjoy again now that the weather is getting nice :)
  • From all the warnings and my reading I guess I expected the rear end of the car to be squirrelly as hell with all this newfound torque - but that's just not the case. To be honest I still have yet to get the tires to break out...
  • I'd give the kit an 8 out of 10... overall the fit and finish is factory. 85% of the instructions are super clear. Missing parts and the slow shipping detracted from it. Where it lacks most tho is in some assumptions in the instructions about the HE (see above) and other things, like troubleshooting... (so with the surging at such low RPM's I checked the install manual and wanted to look at the bypass valve - I know where it is but it's impossible to see under the throttle body AND there's not a clear description even what I'm supposed to look for)
  • I'd do the SST oil pump gears and crank sprocket 2 more times vs have to ever remove, much less TRIM, that damn bumper cover...
  • I'm not sure I'm gonna stick with the Whipple tune very long... I REALLY got spoiled with the VMP 93 Octane tune I ran last summer - more for how they made the auto behave than anything else... I miss that.
  • I WILL be buying the add-on ITA temp sensor... So - all new Whipple kits have this, mine was too old... They have a sensor for IAT in the intake and they have a pigtail for the MAF sensor that runs to the temp in the manifold (under boost)... so your tune is aware of the POST boost temps... right now, and it makes me nervous, but I'm not pushing things and it's cool out... but right now, the IAT used for pulling timing is the MAF right near the filter... I originally was going to do the Lethal kit (I actually ordered it) but 2 reasons why I'm not going to... 1, it will put the manifold air on IAT2, and the Whipple tune doesn't "see" IAT2, so that's pointless... 2, the intake temp in the gauge cluster is IAT1, so if I want to see the boosted airtemp - the Whipple Kit is it. (Had I ever driven the car with the cluster - I would have just gotten the Whipple one and called it good).
  • The mild surging between 1200 and 1600 is annoying, it's not a deal breaker, but it's something that will become a cumulative annoyance, so when I call Whipple tomorrow to order the IAT sensor and to find out if the tune they sent me USES that or if they skipped it because the SN of the unit was pre-sensor, I'm also going to ask about the "low and slow" pulse.
CONCLUSION - As a child of the 80's and all the chrome supercharger goodness of funny cars, I have realized a childhood dream and finally have a supercharged Mustang! I'm thrilled! Issues outstanding are minor ones and totally expected IMHO when you do something this significant to a car (or anything). I AM a little surprised the cars rear sticks to pavement as well as it does - but that's a good thing! Looking back it's been a long 3 weeks to get here - but I'm thrilled to be here and that the tires and suspension seem to be "ok" at least with how it's driving (or I'm babying it) right now!

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Thanks for the entertaining thread. You're a funny guy. And kudos for doing all of that work yourself.

My Whipple came with free install from the dealer, and after reading this, I don't regret it at all. Haha!
Mine arrives on Tuesday. Something tells me it will be short a part or 10.

I'm leaning toward a custom tune as well (AED/PBD). Neither one of those guys tune with the Whipple 58lb injectors. You'll have to buy LU47's (Shaun says are plenty good with BAP). ID injectors will work as well. I'll throw on a Sai Li GT500 type fuel system (or Fore) to reduce possible pump failure from BAP.

Btw, I threw on some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for better wet/dry traction. You must have some good tires on there now not to be spinning. If not, you're possible way down on power.

Stay safe!

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
Congrats on getting everything together and out for your initial run. You seemed to have a much more involved install than I did. I also made my first drive to out yesterday and noticed similar surging initially. I have been doing a few short runs to get up to operating temp, letting it cool down and topping up the intercooler tank. Suspect I still have a bit of air to burp out yet. When I received my tune I was told I'd have to drive about 30 miles for everything to settle in on the tune. Maybe that's whats causing this surging, mine seems to have settled down mostly. Broke the tires loose in third at about 4500 rpm just playing around. Roads are still cold here so it was a little unexpected but smile inducing.
I'm curious about the settings for the MSD booster, did you make any adjustments to the settings or would this be a dyno tune only thing to be playing with?

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
VMP said they can tune with the 58lbs. There's plenty of room with 58/Bap and a full exhaust according to AED.

Joe 69

Established Member
Ok, thanks for the info, good to know

Fishpick,

Thanks again..As I mentioned early in the thread…I’m going to get busy on the same install on my 2013 in another week.

I may have missed it in your write up did you change the crankshaft gear sprocket along with the oil pump gears?

The surging does concern me. I hope you find a fix.

fishpick

Established Member
Fishpick,
Thanks again..As I mentioned early in the thread…I’m going to get busy on the same install on my 2013 in another week.
I may have missed it in your write up did you change the crankshaft gear sprocket along with the oil pump gears?
The surging does concern me. I hope you find a fix.

@Joe 69 - I think I'm the idiot and got the "wrong tune" - ergo the surging...
See this whole thread with my revelation - https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/new-whipple-2-9-on-2012-mild-surging-low-rpms.1137095/

Bottomline - I was so focused on the VIN swap and PCM versions as "atypical" that I failed to communicate the fact this was a Stage 3 kit... which is moderately important... Like - duhhh... No wonder it surged... the stock TB fits INSIDE the Whipple monoblade - I'm surprised all it did was surge!

Anyhow - The new tune is here - the IAT relocation sensor will be here in a couple of days - so - I expect things to all be fixed "shortly"... I hope to get the tune on tomorrow and take it for a gentle drive around the block in the cool weather and see if the surging is gone or not (I expect it will be).

Joe 69

Established Member
@Joe 69 - I think I'm the idiot and got the "wrong tune" - ergo the surging...
See this whole thread with my revelation - https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/new-whipple-2-9-on-2012-mild-surging-low-rpms.1137095/

Bottomline - I was so focused on the VIN swap and PCM versions as "atypical" that I failed to communicate the fact this was a Stage 3 kit... which is moderately important... Like - duhhh... No wonder it surged... the stock TB fits INSIDE the Whipple monoblade - I'm surprised all it did was surge!

Anyhow - The new tune is here - the IAT relocation sensor will be here in a couple of days - so - I expect things to all be fixed "shortly"... I hope to get the tune on tomorrow and take it for a gentle drive around the block in the cool weather and see if the surging is gone or not (I expect it will be).

Fishpick

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I started to get.as you mentioned in your thread …. Pre-freak out mode. I started reading the install instructions over and over.

I’m in NJ and like NY weather is starting to break. I’m looking forward to getting this project on its

Users who are viewing this thread