fishpick's 2012 Coyote Vert Build Thread (Base GT Convertible)

Joe 69

Established Member
Fishpick,

I just finished the oil pump gear install. Getting ready to install the 2.9 Whipple.

Thanks for the OPG write up! Very Helpful!!

I just ordered the same radiator and electric fan set up you have.

Just wondering what weight motor oil are you using?

Yea, I know the oil threads are over whelming.

Thanks, Joe

fishpick

Established Member
Just wondering what weight motor oil are you using?
Whatever the manual says in the Mobil 1 "flavor" through a Motorcraft filter, change it every season or every 5K miles (since the car is only on the road from late April-ish until mid-October).
Good luck with the install... I'm watching for the FedEx guy to show up today with my new tensioner and hoping to high heaven that's the last box from Whipple I need to wait for... for a very VERY long time!

fishpick

Established Member
:D - part comes from Whipple to fix your slipping belt
:mad: - read instructions for new part and realize you need to disassemble half the installed equipment to replace provided parts

Last edited:

fishpick

Established Member
Haven't updated in quite a while:
  • Got a Gates RPM belt to help with slipping... belt broke first time out... search for the proper tensioning thread I stuck here - these belts are totally different than other belts.
  • Got new tensioner and idler plate mounts from Whipple and installed.
  • Tensioner pulley wobbly - Whipple gave me the part # to order my own replacement - which I did and installed.
  • Working on tune with Ken @ PBD - car is totally TOTALLY different now - like absurdly powerful. The Whipple tune is junk - new people considering this kit - buy the tuner kit from Ken, get the better injectors and just do it right... period. Don't waste your money on the Whipple canned tune.
  • Noticing higher than I'd like IAT2 temps - like 40*+ over ambient - bought a used Whipple HE with the fan kit off FaceBook for $200 - like new - with wiring harness... Just need to work up the energy to yank the front bumper cover again (worst part of the install) and put the fans on. I think I'm gonna wire them to have a cutoff switch or a potentiometer in the cabin so when I have the wife along for a ride I can silence them or turn them down... and when I need the cooling when solo or bad traffic I can fire them up.

Joe 69

Established Member
Hey Fishpick,

Hope all is going well with your 2.9

Question…I’m finally back on the whipple 2.9 install. I had to wait on a few items I was short on.
I have been working on this thing all day. I’m having a brain freeze.

I just installed the inter cooler filler neck on the side of the air box. The filler neck has three lines/hoses that go to it.

Looks like one of the ¾ hoses gets clamped to the top of the intercooler reservoir. There is a 3/8 vent line from the filler neck that gets clamped on the reservoir.

There is a second ¾ hose that comes off the inter cooler filler neck but, I’m not sure where it goes. Do you know where this hose gets connected too? I’m just not seeing it

Thanks, Joe

Joe 69

Established Member
Hey Fishpick,

Hope all is going well with your 2.9

Question…I’m finally back on the whipple 2.9 install. I had to wait on a few items I was short on.
I have been working on this thing all day. I’m having a brain freeze.

I just installed the inter cooler filler neck on the side of the air box. The filler neck has three lines/hoses that go to it.

Looks like one of the ¾ hoses gets clamped to the top of the intercooler reservoir. There is a 3/8 vent line from the filler neck that gets clamped on the reservoir.

There is a second ¾ hose that comes off the inter cooler filler neck but, I’m not sure where it goes. Do you know where this hose gets connected too? I’m just not seeing it

Thanks, Joe

Opp's Just figured it out....I don't have the super charger installed yet. Been waiting on parts from Whipple,...so I have been working around it. Getting ahead of nyself.
Joe

fishpick

Established Member
Haven't updated this thread in a while... but have a pile of parts this spring (and a lift in the barn to make it easy)... so I figured I should get back to the thread.
After spending almost all of last summer working with tune revisions via PBD to get the smallest of flutters out of the exhaust valve timings - this Whipple blown Coyote is sick! It's fast, it hits hard throughout the throttle and it's crisper than stock ever was with both shifting, tipin, and WOT... Ken knows his shit - and I could not be happier having spent the time to dial things in as tight as they are!

What I learned tho - was the suspension and tires need love now - which I figured...
So I have a pile of BRM parts - LCS,s UCA, new diff bushing, Viking rear shocks and Strange front struts... all in a big pile going on over the next week or so.

There's a set of 19X9.5 and 19x11 Forgestars somewhere in the world being finished for me... and rubber will need to go on them - currently thinking r888r's (305's) in the rear and then maybe a Conti ExtremeContact Sport for the front...

Considering the Ford Racing "Brembo" kit for the front and also AR Lt's and green cat H pipe... but those 2 things will likely be "next year".

The last fun part was - I started the car up for the first time since I parked it last fall (with a full tank of new 93 octane) and the car wound't fire up... I replaced the original battery - still would not fire... jammed hard on the accelerator and it started... and the exhaust was clouds of billowy white... So - apparently she sat all winter with a LOT of water in the tank. So - here's to hoping nothing is too jacked up from that. TIme will tell. I'm draining the tank and adding new fresher gas from a different station & changing the oil as part of the springtime efforts :)

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
It's great to hear from you and that you are still wrenching on the car. I was wondering how things have been with it. Which wheels did you end up going with? Make sure to take pics during your suspension install.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

fishpick

Established Member
Final update...
00z0z_1hqqi1ix7p0_1200x900-jpg.1513671

After adding a 2.9 Whipple when there was no Gen 3, engine mods, wheels, tires, suspension and a ton of other things... I had built a beast with darn near 630rwhp on pump gas... the Palm Beach tune was great a WOT and garbage for much else... BMR rear suspension was great at WOT but a bump would make the car feel like it jumped 3-4" sideways in the rear... Custom ordered Forgestar wheels that they said "totally fit the car" rubbed on the bump stop supports in the rear and wheel liners in the front... sometimes...
While fast - it got to the point I got to the point I was sick of screwing around with every little facet seemingly all the time to try and make the car something it was never intended to be... or feeling like the car was always just one small mistake away from killing me with violent twisted metal.

So - after getting real good at running a Chinese IDS knock off, repining connectors, making a 12 think it's a 13, reading data logs, waiting for tune revisions, running the car up and down on my lift, coping with time lag and disappointment... I can't say as I feel too bad actually parting with the car. I would never take back the experience of putting it all together - the build was actually the best part... and it was a GREAT looking vehicle... but I'm comfortable with the decision I made to part with the car.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this site and my build - it's an amazing resource and full of people who are way smarter than I will ever be when it comes to doing car stuff!

Here's to the new NO MOD future that starts this Friday...

sold-corvette-jpg.1515124

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
While I am sorry to see you leave the Stang community I have nothing but love for the Z06s out there. Thanks again for everything you posted for us and assisted with. This past spring when I installed my TVS I used your thread a few times to help me out. Best of luck.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Thanks for the honest review and all of your humorous posts. You chose well for your next vehicle.

I feel like throwing in the towel sometimes and going the same route...buying a really fast factory car and leaving it alone. The fact that I have a rare mustang (Boss 302) makes it hard for me to move on. I’m not in love with my color combo, and I’m hesitant to do my automatic swap since it’s a Boss, I may find myself in your shoes one day.

Stay safe. And thanks for your contributions.

Users who are viewing this thread