Fixing to install speed hut oil and water temp gauges

jgt58

Established Member
Can I just put the new oil pressure sender in the stock location? I know that will kill the stock gauge but is it a nessary reading the computer needs? I have the correct size reducer to put on the sender as well.

Also for the water temp , I got a new crossover coolant plug that is also tapped for a 1/8 npt fitting. Is that location good to get a reading from?

1996 mustang cobra... many mods...

jgt58

Established Member
54fc1a4a07e6bfd601f597ad25203a68.jpg

Pics of said gauges

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I don't think the computer needs the factory oil sender but I would leave it to make sure. Plus it will drive you crazy when you look down and see the factory needle not working (even though its not accurate). I just came off the extra port at the oil cooler with a brass T and added my new oil sender for my autometer gauge. Also you can read the water temps from the coolant crossover, this is where mine is. But the if you wanna know what the temp is in the block, you gotta plumb in into the location on the lower drivers side of the block.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Like 04DeadShort said just pull the pipe plug out of the bottom of the oil filter housing and put your Speedhut sender there. That's that I did on mine. I did put a 45* fitting in to orient the speedhut pressure transducer up and out of the way a little. It's a tight fit but you can get it to work. I'm not sure on the coolant temp I don't have that gauge, but I'd be inclined to use the coolant crossover with just a t for the sensor that would go to the factory gauge.

Helomech74

Established Member
I ran my oil pressure sensor off of my relocated oil filter housing (you can also just remove the pipe plug from the factory mount and use that). For the coolant temp I removed the drain plug from the side of the block on the drivers side and mounted the sensor there. I had to wrap the wires for the coolant temp sensor in heat shielding to protect them from the headers.

jgt58

Established Member
I don't think the computer needs the factory oil sender but I would leave it to make sure. Plus it will drive you crazy when you look down and see the factory needle not working (even though its not accurate). I just came off the extra port at the oil cooler with a brass T and added my new oil sender for my autometer gauge. Also you can read the water temps from the coolant crossover, this is where mine is. But the if you wanna know what the temp is in the block, you gotta plumb in into the location on the lower drivers side of the block.
Factory gauge doesn't work well anyways hence why I've got these lol

Users who are viewing this thread