For people with higher horsepower what is your tire setup.. Bigger or Wider??

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Bigger or wider?
Been doing research and reading different forums and finding videos on YouTube but no real definitive answers. I have a couple questions I’m hoping y’all can help me out with.

First off, only really take the car to the strip about once every 2 months and no roll race events around here. I’m thinking of 295/65r 15 out back for a daily tire. My question is, is how safe would that setup be on the street? Corners? Corners at speed? And does anyone else daily a tire this size or similar? Or should I do 305/40r 18? For traction. Also the car is on stock height not lowered. Thanks for any help.

SirShaun

Established Member
I'm assuming your talking drag tires. I am going off of "at speed" meaning at the speed limit.

Bias Ply - Softer Sidewall, more Tire Roll. Better for launching though as the softer sidewall lessens the shock on the drive train. Would probably be fine on the street if "at speed" means at the speed limit. Tires may develop flat spots if the car sits long enough.

Drag Radial - Stiffer Sidewall, Handles Better, Harder on the drivetrain, as the tire doesn't eat the shock as much, and typically less consistent when launching, more of an on/off hook or spin, where as Bias Ply will recover better due to elasticity.

Generally the more sidewall you have, the better the traction. Even the Drag Radial will wrinkle, given enough sidewall. Wider can also slow your ET, as there is more rolling resistance. Weight is also a factor. I doubt you can get any lighter than a 15x10 drag wheel with a Bias Ply. Radials weigh a tad more due to the rigid/belted construction.

I recommend trying on a 275/60/15 Drag Radial. Bias Ply would be fine as well just be aware of the tire roll/flat spots. They will both handle the speed limit in turns. The real problem is rain. It is 0 fun getting caught in the rain on slicks. I'm talking a 30 mph, white knuckled, hydroplaning pissing everyone off behind you good time.

I put quite a few street miles on 15x10 (325/50/15) Hoosier DRs, paired with 17x4.5 front runners. I was cornering fine at the speed limit, would I road race, no. The front runners were more of a concern than the rear though, increased breaking distance and under-steer were prevalent due to the skinnies.

Whatever tire you go with, weld your axle tubes. 325/50/15 was too much tire, dry hooking at 3500rpm, car was coming out of first gear, ultimately shifted an axle tube, put tire into quarter panel burned some paint/stripe up. I'm going back with welded axle tubes, 3.73s, Tru Trac, Moser Axles, on a 275 next time.

If the car shudders violently, let off, this is wheel hop, and will bend/break axles and driveshafts. You can look into rear suspension upgrades to stiffen up the rear if it is a problem for you.

Might want to upgrade your driveshaft from the stock 2 piece before you go and start beating on it. I've seen them do a number on floor pans/tunnels. I think around 600 wheel horsepower is when folks start looking aftermarket.

Then it's just a matter of having a lot of fun, and waiting for the clutch to go, and/or the rear end to break.

Last edited:

chas8180

Established Member
Consistency, safety, better launch go bias ply 15" to swap on strip, then Nitto 315/40/18 NT05R daily
-J
You think the NT05R is best? I'm running 305/20" N555R's now and need some new ones for this year and I've been contemplating what to get, these have actually been decent and I daily drive, no dig racing though. I've still got 3.31's and I dont think I'm going to change because I only play around rolling from time to time. I'm 760rwhp now and will be around 800 this year.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, the NT05R is the best driver DR especially at your power level. 26psi on warm roads at that power was no problem for me, but I ran 11" wide rubber. They will still work on a a stock 20x9.5"
Even with roll, no dig I prefer gears in these '13-14 cars. It just makes the car better in all situations
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The new Mickey ET Street S/S seems to be a great radial.

If your not racing from a dig, Id run the Mickeys. I actually have a set of Nitto NT05Rs that were my first "stickey" set in 305/45R18. Drove from San Diego to Tucson for a weekend test n tune and they did just fine, though I learned later about my folly dig racing on radials. For street driving and rolling hits, they are great.

I had a set of 15" Mickey Et Streets in 295/55R15. They were the older batch construction, and they went out of round REALLY fast. Ive heard the Carcass on the new ET Street S/S radials are much better.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Consistency, safety, better launch go bias ply 15" to swap on strip, then Nitto 315/40/18 NT05R daily
-J

Thanks. Mainly driven on the street not everyday though. But only want to buy wheels once and not make a mistake the first time. I was looking into anywhere from 10-11, or 10.5 wide wheel and either some mickey Thompson’s or nt05rs. With either 305 or 315. I am not going to be lowering the car so I think I can get away with an 11inch wheel??

802gt500

Established Member
Ive ran 305/45/18 555r they would hook 2nd everytime and hold 1st till 3500 or so. Changed nothing but went to 315/40/18 nto5r. Nothing in first spin about 75% in second then hook and would break loose in 3rd at times. Bought some 555r and back to great traction. THis is all on street and at 870 hp

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Mainly driven on the street not everyday though. But only want to buy wheels once and not make a mistake the first time. I was looking into anywhere from 10-11, or 10.5 wide wheel and either some mickey Thompson’s or nt05rs. With either 305 or 315. I am not going to be lowering the car so I think I can get away with an 11inch wheel??
Well everyone wants one tire to do it all but not reality in a high power, stick, heavy car.
Meaning, if you want to launch hard on the track, you need bias ply not to break parts, have consistency and all around more fun. Plus 15" bias ply set cheaper.
The DRs will be what you want on the street, but you'll have to accept less strip performance and increased risk or breaking.
The DRs on the strip with a stick will require a compromised slipping launch that can work, but is tricky for many guys.
In either case, the most sidewall helps traction.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive ran 305/45/18 555r they would hook 2nd everytime and hold 1st till 3500 or so. Changed nothing but went to 315/40/18 nto5r. Nothing in first spin about 75% in second then hook and would break loose in 3rd at times. Bought some 555r and back to great traction. THis is all on street and at 870 hp
I think this is a case of sidewall impact. Overall the NT05R is more agressive and should work better.
I love both, my Hellcat DD is 555Rs. Well, winter snow rubber currently :)
-J

SaTxGT500

Established Member
I run welded tubes, moser shafts, 325/50/15 nitto 555r extreme. 3.73 gears. Car puts down lil over 700 to the ground...run the widest tire you can put on it. More rubber, more traction.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
So to run this setup I would have to run welded tubes, as well? Either going with this setup or 18x 10 with 305 or 315 and maybe 555r for all season, unless I could run NT05r all year with no issues for like a daily.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Guys have bent stock axles relatively easily.
It's not a requirement to Weld them but when running DRs full time the stock 8.8" will be suspect.
Unless swapping gears, run it til something happens.
555Rs are a bit more forgiving as a DD than NT05R but both require high respect in wet.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So to run this setup I would have to run welded tubes, as well? Either going with this setup or 18x 10 with 305 or 315 and maybe 555r for all season, unless I could run NT05r all year with no issues for like a daily.
Wider to a point but sidewall height is very important.
I'd take a 305/35/20 over a 315/30/20 for example.
-J

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
That was my plan try and find a good tire 305/35/20 or 18. Any real reason other than preference for 18 over 20 inch? Those are the 2 I’m torn between. Not going to lower my car if that matters.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have both for my car.
At 750rwhp the 315/35/20 tall NT05R was great, now that I'm over 950rwhp, I need all the help I can get.
The 325/45/18 (again tall at 30" but there are some 28-29" newer options like 325 MT and M&H and 315 NT05R)
actually hooks that big number.
At this point 18" for me for power reasons.
I'm also not really lowered, I run Revan Racing dead hookers and can adjust ride height.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread