Ford GT 500 brake kit M-2300-T worth the buy for a Boss?

boomstick33

Established Member
I'm looking at doing some suspension/brake mods on the Boss over the winter: either the Fays 2 or BMR Watts-Link, the Shelby brake kit, intake/air box/throttle body, & was wondering if installing the M-2300-T brake kit is worth doing on the Boss? Would increasing from 14" to 15" up front make that big of difference on the track or just buy better rotors to replace the stock ones? You guys that have done the swap to this kit notice a big improvement when braking hard into the corners?

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm interested to see as well, what others have to say....I've considered the shelby swap myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KBBoss302

Established Member
It's been a while since I looked, but there used to be very few brake pad options for the GT500 6 piston calipers. That may not be the case anymore but I would do some research on that if I were looking. The nice thing about the Boss calipers is there are a gazillion pad options, from mild dust-less street pads to hard core full race pads.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
The six pot Brembo's are a great upgrade, greater clamping force and I am sure the pad is taller(15" rotor), therefore creating a larger fire path. If you do many track days they would be a great upgrade. Look into purchasing some DOT4 brake fluid, stainless steel brake lines, and Hawk HP+ pads or so. Street= Hawk HPS. Both= HP+. Track only= GOOD rotors and a race compound pad. At the track with my '97 Cobra and Hawk DTC70's, I can warp a set of cheap rotors in two sessions. Also, tires play a big part in braking. The stickier the tire the faster you will slow down before you lock up the brakes. This is a data dump from my head all in a mismatched order lol.

As for suspension for road course work, the two names I trust are Maximum Motorsports and Cortex Racing. If I do any suspension mods to my Boss for turning, I will be calling one of those two. Cortex has a nasty Watts Link and those guys truly know what they are doing when turning right and left!

boomstick33

Established Member
thanks for the info! there's a 10% off sale at Tasca this weekend which brings the price of the brake kit down to around $1600 & was really thinking about plunking down the cash for it. I already have the stainless lines, just need to install them this winter.

bostonboss

Established Member
I got a set of the 500 calipers with my car but haven't got to installing them since I need to buy the rotors. I have heard a lot of people say its a much better bang for the buck using the stock caliper with a more track oriented pad on track, plus Dot4 fluid. After what I have read I would not buy these calipers, I think you'd get much better bang for your buck using the money elsewhere. Since I have them already I would like to use them, but I am running into the limited pad selection problem. I am still on the fence about using them for 2017.

noldevin

Established Member
I would say since you already have the 4-piston brembos, which do really great with a proper pad, that it is not worth upgrading. The Gt500 setup is much heavier, has fewer rotor and pad options, those options are more expensive, and you can't fit as many wheels.
However, if you track your car frequently on the road course, a lot of guys are saying they get better pad and rotor life with the rear gt500 upgrade only.

byronj

Established Member
I'm not sure if it's the same p/n as the GT500 but the PP brakes off the S550 Mustang will fit on the Boss as well.

boomstick33

Established Member
Stick to your 4-piston, with proper fluid and good pads you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah...I decided to stick with them. I'm going to upgrade the pads & rotors. instead of getting the GT500 brake kit, I'm going to get a Watts Link system instead. I'm just trying to decide between the Cortex kit or the BMR kit.

chris_302

Established Member
yeah...I decided to stick with them. I'm going to upgrade the pads & rotors. instead of getting the GT500 brake kit, I'm going to get a Watts Link system instead. I'm just trying to decide between the Cortex kit or the BMR kit.

Lots of people are running Cortex and are highly satisfied. I had a bmr watts and sold it.

chris_302

Established Member
I gotta ask...what didn't you like about the BMR kit? I've read that it's heavier than the Cortex unit but was wondering what your experience with it was like.
I did like the BMR, good quality. All of Cortex's products are race proven and their quality is great.
Most of the S197 owners who track their car run the Cortex system, plus their located in NorCal;). Might want to look into Griggs Racing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread