EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Ford-GT-Applications-Update.jpg

Open & Shut
Over 6,500 people applied to own one of the new Ford GT supercars
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

A month ago Ford launched its online configurator for the forthcoming Ford GT supercar. During the one-month window that applications were open, over 200,000 visited to create virtual Ford GTs and over 10,800 expressed and interest in purchasing one of the 500 cars available during the car’s first two years of production.

If you have been following the story of the Ford GT, you know that just the ability to afford the car won’t guarantee you can purchase one. In an attempt to ensure that true-blue enthusiasts— not prospectors—are purchasing these rare performers, Ford accepted applications from prospective owners. After those applications are reviewed, Ford will select the future owners and they can pick an eligible dealer to purchase the supercar through.

“We’re excited by the amount of enthusiasm fans are showing for the new Ford GT,” Dave Pericak, director, Global Ford Performance, said. “This initial application window is just one of many ways fans and potential owners will have to connect with our all-new supercar even before it hits the streets.”

As you might expect, the interest level grew as yesterday’s deadline for submissions neared. Though over 10,000 people were interested, only 6,506 people submitted completed applications, and 32 percent of those were submitted in the final six days. Many went above and beyond, submitting videos supporting their worthiness. These clips went as far as to pander with appearances by children or offer more automotive-related support, like garage tours and racing footage.

In the next 90 days, Ford will inform those lucky potential owners and the cars should start arriving by late this year. However, even if you aren’t selected, you can still build a virtual version over at FordGT.com.

1-Ford-GT-Applications-Update.jpg

Only 500 people will own one of Ford’s latest supercars, but 6,506 people applied for the opportunity to purchase a new Ford GT in the first two years of production.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Excuse the language. This was one of my favorites.

[video=youtube;XTrFnEhqCv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrFnEhqCv4[/video]

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He definitely made his memorable. :kaboom:

I wish I had the balls/money to drive them like that lol

Or like DBK's buddy who has over 100k on his.

EDIT: Thanks for the great articles. I look forward to reading every one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you have enough money, it’s just a regular car. I wish I knew what that was like too.

I feel bad driving $80k cars..let alone $300k. I can't imagine the net worth it would take to comfortably drive a $300k car daily.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I feel bad driving $80k cars..let alone $300k. I can't imagine the net worth it would take to comfortably drive a $300k car daily.

TCO homie.

What costs more: a Range Rover you put 100k miles on, or an 06 Ford GT you put 60k miles on? Not that different overall.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TCO homie.

What costs more: a Range Rover you put 100k miles on, or an 06 Ford GT you put 60k miles on? Not that different overall.

That is a very good point. Good analogy.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Excuse the language. This was one of my favorites.

[video=youtube;XTrFnEhqCv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrFnEhqCv4[/video]

That's awesome, Id be surprised if he doesn't get one!

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Andy is a good ass dude too. I used to work for him and my brother still does. If anyone "deserves it" and not just from a badass video, its him :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread