Ford GT covers

manny231988

Established Member
wanted to ask the guys with built engines and bigger timing components if any of y’all are running, ford gt valve covers, gonna get my engine built and going bigger timing sprockets and chains and bought a set of ford gt covers, wanted to see if anybody is using them and how they are running the breather setup let me know thanks

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
You don't want FGT valve covers. Because of the dry sump system on the GT, oil is added via the reservoir tank. Therefore the valve covers don't have an oil fill hole.

manny231988

Established Member
Ya I saw that I asked several engine builders and they said they use them that you just have to put the oil through one of the breather holes

manny231988

Established Member
715FC852-4AAB-48CB-8C13-EA70D6E13AFB.jpeg
715FC852-4AAB-48CB-8C13-EA70D6E13AFB.jpeg
There is the holes for the pcv still you just have to reroute the lines the front hole I will have to build a block off plate that’s where my oil fill will be

manny231988

Established Member
The Pcv on the ford gt show to run them at the back of the covers I’ll get a better idea on what has to be done when I get them I know one of the passenger cover openings has to be cover with a block off plate

Attachments

• B83F889E-0692-48E8-AA30-79FF7EE81B09.jpeg
    B83F889E-0692-48E8-AA30-79FF7EE81B09.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 240
  • CA670AB2-6E64-4993-8675-7E11DBC3D0DC.jpeg
    CA670AB2-6E64-4993-8675-7E11DBC3D0DC.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 219

Bad Company

Established Member
The 2 valve covers that work with the rear inlet suerpchargers used on a GT500 are the Ford GT and the 03/04 Cobra valve covers.

The Cobra covers have the oil fill and the PVC ports located in locations in the covers that will not interfere with with mounting a larger SC.

The Ford GT covers actually have two locations to utilize in the passengers side cover for the PVC system, but it you use the forward PVC port in this cover, it should be also be made to here this can be a oil fill at the same time.

The earlier 4.6L 4V covers from both the Lincoln and Cobra models have the PVC port in the driver's side cover where it can't be used with a SC engine. Now if you are going to turbocharge the engine these earlier covers can be used

The 03/04 4.6L 4V Cobra valve covers are no longer available from Ford and they are getting pricey on Ebay when you find a set

Both the Ford GT and Cobra cover have the internal baffles to try to keep the oil mist from being sucked out from under the cover by the PVC system.

manny231988

Established Member
The 2 valve covers that work with the rear inlet suerpchargers used on a GT500 are the Ford GT and the 03/04 Cobra valve covers.

The Cobra covers have the oil fill and the PVC ports located in locations in the covers that will not interfere with with mounting a larger SC.

The Ford GT covers actually have two locations to utilize in the passengers side cover for the PVC system, but it you use the forward PVC port in this cover, it should be also be made to here this can be a oil fill at the same time.

The earlier 4.6L 4V covers from both the Lincoln and Cobra models have the PVC port in the driver's side cover where it can't be used with a SC engine. Now if you are going to turbocharge the engine these earlier covers can be used

The 03/04 4.6L 4V Cobra valve covers are no longer available from Ford and they are getting pricey on Ebay when you find a set

Both the Ford GT and Cobra cover have the internal baffles to try to keep the oil mist from being sucked out from under the cover by the PVC system.
Sorry on the ford gt explanation you gave can you go over it again I think auto correct changed the wording, but Ya the only issue I see is if I use both rear locations if there will be fitment issue with the 4.2 KB BLOWER worse case I block off the rear on passenger then just use the front on passenger, but will have to take 2 screws and fill through opening every oil change no big deal I think.

merkyworks

Established Member
To try and help but also learn a little more.

96-98 4V valve covers are out cause the PCV ports are in the center of the cover.
1998_00012_07.jpg

Now when comparing the 99-01 4V (no SC) valve covers to the 03-04 4V (SC) valve covers they look very similar. However it looks like the 03-04 driver side rear PCV port is further back and not as raised up as the 99-01 driver side rear PCV port is. Can someone please confirm I am correct in my statement? Is this why the 03-04 covers work for a GT500?
01svtcobraengine1.jpg Automotive-Cabin-Air-Filters-and-Engine-Air-Filters-1.jpg

Bad Company

Established Member
Sorry on the ford gt explanation you gave can you go over it again I think auto correct changed the wording, but Ya the only issue I see is if I use both rear locations if there will be fitment issue with the 4.2 KB BLOWER worse case I block off the rear on passenger then just use the front on passenger, but will have to take 2 screws and fill through opening every oil change no big deal I think.
I'm sorry I didn't word it well

For ease of oil fills you will want to use the front opening on the passenger side valve cover. Now with that said depending on how you route the fuel lines for a return style fuel system usually the passenger side rear corner is very busy with fuel lines, EGR lines, SIPS sensor, vacuum lines along with the bypass valve and its piping. This makes installing the PVC fittings and hose in this corner difficult. So if you need all of the above parts in the rear corner you can use the front opening for both a PVC port and an oil fill if necessary.

In my opinion the 03/04 Cobra 4.6L 4V valve covers are the best option. The problem is finding a good set that can be powder coated without having a bunch of corrosion or stripped out threads for the coil covers and internal baffles. I even bought one in the past that was so bad the threads for the oil fill cap where bad. That one I returned to the seller for a refund.

Bad Company

Established Member
To try and help but also learn a little more.

96-98 4V valve covers are out cause the PCV ports are in the center of the cover.
View attachment 1503534

Now when comparing the 99-01 4V (no SC) valve covers to the 03-04 4V (SC) valve covers they look very similar. However it looks like the 03-04 driver side rear PCV port is further back and not as raised up as the 99-01 driver side rear PCV port is. Can someone please confirm I am correct in my statement? Is this why the 03-04 covers work for a GT500?
View attachment 1503535 View attachment 1503536
Yes the problem with the earlier valve cover is the PVC port is located in a place where it will be under the SC inlet elbow and TB. There isn't enough room for the PVC line to be connected. You have to use the 03/04 cover with a SC on the engine.

Bad Company

Established Member
Also the valve cover used in the Lincoln Navigator has the PVC port in the middle of the valve cover, not at the rear end of the cover.

manny231988

Established Member
I'm sorry I didn't word it well

For ease of oil fills you will want to use the front opening on the passenger side valve cover. Now with that said depending on how you route the fuel lines for a return style fuel system usually the passenger side rear corner is very busy with fuel lines, EGR lines, SIPS sensor, vacuum lines along with the bypass valve and its piping. This makes installing the PVC fittings and hose in this corner difficult. So if you need all of the above parts in the rear corner you can use the front opening for both a PVC port and an oil fill if necessary.

In my opinion the 03/04 Cobra 4.6L 4V valve covers are the best option. The problem is finding a good set that can be powder coated without having a bunch of corrosion or stripped out threads for the coil covers and internal baffles. I even bought one in the past that was so bad the threads for the oil fill cap where bad. That one I returned to the seller for a refund.
Ya I saw some 03/04 cobra covers but they were rough looking and don’t wanna go through the troubles of powdercoatig them, so I went ahead and bought brand ford gt I’ll just cap off the rear passenger and use the front hole

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
What are you guys doing for PCVs....still using a PCV valve, or ditching it?

I've always kept the PCV system in tact on my 2v setups. Trying to figure out what I want to do on my 4v setup.

manny231988

Established Member
What are you guys doing for PCVs....still using a PCV valve, or ditching it?

I've always kept the PCV system in tact on my 2v setups. Trying to figure out what I want to do on my 4v setup.
I’m keeping the Pcv valve, you gonna run a 4.9 kb? May I ask who built your engine, I just received my 4.7 bout to send my engine off to get built at Accufab

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m keeping the Pcv valve, you gonna run a 4.9 kb? May I ask who built your engine, I just received my 4.7 bout to send my engine off to get built at Accufab
Damn Accufab is building it, mind me asking what that's going to cost?

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member

Well I ordered the blue & brown PCV valves that I saw in another thread called out for the GT500s. I gather blue was stock & brown folks swapped to as an "upgrade". Cheap enough I ordered both.

JLP built my motor. It's a darton wet sleeved 3.7 big bore GT supercar block, MPR did the sleeves, JLP did the longblock & his CNC profile on my GT supercar heads. I had a 4.7 KB that I picked up barely used, but I changed my mind from polished, I was going to buy a black 4.7, but saw they now offered the 4.9, so I bought a black 4.9 instead and sold my polished 4.7 lol

GT114.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread