• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Ford Racing M-7210-B Shifter Opinions?

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by silver03svt, Dec 6, 2017.

1. silver03svt

silver03svt Heavy Handed Guidance Counselor Staff Member Super Moderator

Anybody running the Ford Racing shifter in their 2007-2009 500? Just wanting to get thoughts on it over the stock shifter.

I know many will say go MGW, and I agree, but looking at a substantial price difference in the 2 units.

2. Fast Ford

Fast Ford Member Established Member

Great shifter, I've had it on my 07 for years without any issues. My car is mostly a strip car and it's handled spirited driving conditions with ease. I have the MGW gen 2 on the shelf and will switch when I replace the clutch.

3. Robert M

Robert M 800 HORSE FUN!! Established Member

Shelby installed mine as part of the Super Snake upgrade back in early 2009, and I have not been happy with it. I have many 2-3 lock-outs which require me to go from 2nd to 4th. I have never speed shifted my 2008 and have ultra low miles on my car. If I shift my car easy, there is "usually" no problems, but once I do a little more aggressive driving/shifting it is a crap shoot, it may lock-out and it may not. <<And you don't want issues when you are turning it up with someone who wants to play..........it makes your car look like a P.O.S., or like you don't know how to shift......

I too have a MGW2 and actually also a Shelby/Barton that Shelby sold a few years ago with a "SHELBY" engraved chrome stick, If I drove my car more often I would definitely upgrade away from the oem design FRPP noodle frame shifter, and one day I will take on the project and get it done.

To me, for the hassle of shifter change on a GT500, it would be worth the extra coin to not rely on the oem design noodle frame shifters.

R

lexustech48 likes this.
  4. Zedeater

Zedeater Good from far Established Member

Just make sure you wait until its on sale at AM if you decide to buy one...

5. silver03svt

Only if they are offering it for $5.99 so I can get my order cancelled the day after.

Zedeater and Zemedici like this.
  6. ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll.. Established Member

Id say, if you are gonna do it... Might as well do it right the 1st time...

Mgw2

7. Zemedici

Zemedici I like jeans that sparkle Established Member

MGW Doug, no other alternative.

8. silver03svt

What kind of deal can you get me on one?

9. Zemedici

Zemedici I like jeans that sparkle Established Member

MGW doesn’t discount, so I’d pay what you’d pay, then I’d have to mark it up, ya know? Best bet is to just order from George

10. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Arkansas Redneck Established Member

If cost is an issue there is always a MGW version 1. Lots of folks with version 1 upgrade to version 2 and sell their version 1 cheap. I am running a version 1 and it is head and shoulders above most others.

11. silver03svt

So upgrade yours and sell me your Gen 1.......lol...but seriously.

12. Robert M

There are plenty of alternatives, the difference is, the MGW2 took the GT500 shifter to a new level in design when they got away from the pendulum mechanism design that is the oem, the MGW1, the Barton, the Steeda and any other non-MGW2 shifter.

^^^This being said, there are plenty of guys who are happy with their MGW1's, Barton's and other aftermarket shifters. <<They still have the oem pendulum design mechanism but beefed up the frame work and mounting that makes the oem and FRPP shifter such a noodle. Noodle being hollow tube frame.

There is also the 1-2 grind issue that Ford attempted to address during the 2007-2014 oem GT500 shifter production with multiple ratio changes in an attempt to minimize the grind issue. Tob had a great thread on this forum with a disassembly and study of the 2007-2009, KR, 2010-2012 and 2013/14 and there were a number of changes during these years, not including the down sizing of the shifter ball thread in 2010 (which was a change, but it was not a shifter ratio change).

The forum thread by Tob is a very informative read for anyone interested in the oem and KR shifter design.

R

Black Cobra '99 likes this.
  13. ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll.. Established Member

I think what he meant was that since the MGW2 is the superior product, the correct decision would be to go with that right away. ;)

14. Robert M

Ok, my misunderstanding, but when the OP had money concerns, there are alternatives.............but yes, the MGW2 is the best design for sure.

In reality, if an owner shops for a new aftermarket shifter (Barton etc.), the MGW2 may cost a little more money, but it is not a huge amount more comparing the shifter design deficiencies that were address with the MGW2.

R

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 9:39 AM
  15. Catmonkey

Catmonkey I Void Warranties! Established Member

16. Robert M

I agree, getting rid of the rubber mounting sponges is a good starting point, and a reasonable cost on a tight budget.

Another good link would be when Tob posted his results when he changed from a fully modded KR shifter set up to the MGW2................

R

Zemedici likes this.
  17. Robert M

Zemedici likes this.
  18. RLB01

RLB01 Member Established Member

Just go to MGW! Years ago replaced my OEM with FR short shifter with very little improvement. IMO it was not worth the time and money to replace the OEM with FR. Four years ago installed MGW and very pleased.

19. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member

Sure, there are fixes and improvements you can hunt and peck for to optimize the FR shifter (or others), but IMO it makes much more sense to just buy the MGW-2. It's the superior shifter design, done right, right out of the box. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with it. JMO.

20. 6-Speed

6-Speed Member Established Member

Thanks for the savings tip. I currently have the FRPP shifter. It's a step above the stock shifter but the 1 to 2 transition has always been tight. I may purchase the MGW gen2 so I can have it installed when I need to replace my clutch.

Which handle length do folks prefer, standard or extended?