Found: 95 R clone with all original R parts

guitarman

Established Member
I failed to print the ad. Does anybody have a copy they can forward to me?

Cobra R #2 was stolen from Ford many years ago.

Tom

I looked this car over good yesterday. Has correct belt route label but wrong label in the glove box. Correct casting number on trans case but no number on back of block.....I jacked it up. Hood part# has been removed along with the part# on the hoses.
I think it is real and has been vin swapped.

S351R13

Established Member
I looked this car over good yesterday. Has correct belt route label but wrong label in the glove box. Correct casting number on trans case but no number on back of block.....I jacked it up. Hood part# has been removed along with the part# on the hoses.

That's why I didn't even make an offer on it. The R I had had the VIN number reverse etched in the trans case. I think it was on the tail housing.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

What is the seller's story on the car?

Tom

guitarman

Established Member
cobra r

What is the seller's story on the car?

Tom

The seller told me he purchased 10 years ago in Detroit, Mi. Seller sent me this via text...... I bought it from a lady who'z husband waz in prison and had ben sitting in her garage 4 a few years and she wanted 2 get rid of it.

Ruslow

Established Member
I think the vin behind the dash is iffy at best, know of some cars with it and some without.the fender tag is a good one to look for but I have also seen it stamped on just one fender apron and not the other and also have seen some later year stangs with no vin stamped on them.the rosebud rivets are able to be had but not easy.so that is not a good way to look at the car.I know that the Rs had the convertible mounting tabs placed on the car,welded inbetween the pinch weld at the rockers and as far as I know those were only on either the convert or these cars.Buck tags belt routing part numbers and also the vac hose routing diagrahms are the better indicators since ford has discontinued them long ago.You can look on the back of the air bag on the drivers wheel and see what in is on it.Also look at the brakes none of the Rs had backing plates so there should be no evidence of a rivet or thread in the holes.Stan

mnewxcv

Established Member
The seller told me he purchased 10 years ago in Detroit, Mi. Seller sent me this via text...... I bought it from a lady who'z husband waz in prison and had ben sitting in her garage 4 a few years and she wanted 2 get rid of it.

whats with all the z's? :nonono: sounds like this guy knew he was receiving stolen property.... but thats a hell of a price for a R! id buy it if i had money to burn and contact svt and see what happened next. at this point they may just be happy to have it documented again and let you keep it. But then again, i know nothing about laws/statutes on something like this.

S351R13

Established Member
Laws state it would be stolen property in pretty much every state. You would not get to keep it. Without the VIN tag it is only worth the sum of the parts. It will never be an original R.

Last edited:

r82of250

Established Member
A few yrs. ago there was a wrecked "R" in L'ville, KY that was trying to be sold with a V-6 car, for a re-body. The law stepped in and confiscated it. Maybe this is it. :shrug:
Any one else remember?

Yeah I remember that rebody. It was going to a police auction as I remember. That was at least 5 or 6 years ago Gene. Time flies!!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
X-brace is not under the car however, I haven't gone to look to see if there is a place for it. Owner wants 8500 for the car.

I have Dearborn Assy. Line internal memos/documents which show that the convert. x-brace was deleted from the 1995 Cobra R build during the 2-car pilot run down the assy. line, so no need to search for indications of one being there, or not.

Hi to all!!

R

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
I have Dearborn Assy. Line internal memos/documents which show that the convert. x-brace was deleted from the 1995 Cobra R build during the 2-car pilot run down the assy. line, so no need to search for indications of one being there, or not.

Hi to all!!

R

Robert,

The X-brace was deleted, but the brackets(welded) were still part of the floor pan where the rocker panel and floor pan meet near the front.

Good to hear from you! :)

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,

The X-brace was deleted, but the brackets(welded) were still part of the floor pan where the rocker panel and floor pan meet near the front.

Yes, the floor plans should still be there with the tabs/brackets if it is an original R model. Seems to me someone "back in the day" bought a convert. x-brace and tried to install it on their 95R and there was something or somethings that got in the way of a direct "bolt-on". Whatever that was is why it was nixed from the build..............and then the mention of a #2 cross member being installed instead as part of the 95R build.

From time to time, I miss my R's...........

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have moved much of my Cobra R info. to a "Cobra R" folder on Photobucket so many of the previous links no longer work, but here is what I found as it relates to the x-brace.

Picture1087.jpg

#6 is interesting, another portion of this documentations mentions that 2 Mustang GT coupes were going to be pulled and run through this 2-pilot car assy. line process, but the coupes would not have the brackets for the convert. x-brace in the first place........

R

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
That is all so correct. I can even see the adjustment tabs for the Konis. Correct radiator cover, radiator mounts, alternator, pulley, intake from the air cleaner housing all the way to the intake, passenger valve cover, STB, degas bottle. Definitely an R.

Tom

guitarman

Established Member
No, I took several pics when I looked at it. He texted me a 4500 offer a few days ago and I declined. I would love to have the extra parts, but I do not want any association with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread