Fuel Cell Leak - Alternative Fix

r82of250

Established Member
I think there's a thread on here somewhere re this idea. Bottom line is that it's a very bad idea to use the aluminum fuel cell "can" as a gas tank. The aluminum is way too soft and easily punctured. By a new or used Mustang gas tank instead. Much safer.

flattrack53

Established Member
You can put a regular fuel tank in it but it will look like crap. You might as well own a 1995 svt cobra......minus the R

r82of250

Established Member
Go with a stock tank and have an aluminum cover built for it that looks like the cell.

And who looks that closely at a cars' gas tank anyway? Only one of the few people in the world who know what an R car is?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Lol, I literally just typed up the following for a new thread. Looks like you beat me to it...

I have been struggling with the prospect of spending $1k plus on a disposable replacement FuelSafe bladder that will need to be replaced again in a few years. I did a Google search for custom fuel tanks and I found several places that build custom tanks in stainless steel and aluminum. I’m thinking about having a bladderless aluminum or stainless steel cell made in the same dimensions as the FuelSafe cell so it would appear to be the stock cell when installed. What do you guys think of this solution?

r82of250

Established Member
Well there you go! Stainless or steel with powdercoat finish would work/look great.

Wonder how the insurance company would look at that fix? Guess the tank would have to be certified somehow?

I have a tenant who builds fuel tanks for marine applications out of aluminum and he has them Coast Guard certified somehow. That's what you need.

TFStang

Established Member
Spending $1000 every 10 - 15 years isn't that bad. I say leave it the way it is supposed to be and replace with a stock bladder.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Spending $1000 every 10 - 15 years isn't that bad. I say leave it the way it is supposed to be and replace with a stock bladder.

FuelSafe currently lists the price of the bladder at $1,956.00. They were priced at under $1k a few years ago. Who knows what they will cost a few years from now. If they are even available by then.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
For $2k plus labor I might look into a stock tank with a "cover" over it to look like a fuel cell.

r82of250

Established Member
FuelSafe currently lists the price of the bladder at $1,956.00. They were priced at under $1k a few years ago. Who knows what they will cost a few years from now. If they are even available by then.

WOW! When I replaced mine 5 or 6 years ago I think it was $700!! Now that's inflation!

The custom aluminum tank seems like the way to go if you're not seriously tracking the car.

Lucky45

Established Member
I'm having this issue also and have not found the bladder under $1600 as of yet and that is without the additional items it will need when installed like the liners for the straps etc,etc. I can buy the complete Fuel Safe tank for a little more than the bladder. Considering that at the moment. :shrug:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I replaced my fuel cell with regular Mustang tank set up about 2 years ago. I have a construction business and business fell off and still has not come close to recovering. I think at the time it would have cost around $1300 to replace, not including shipping. I was able to get everything I needed for a regular tank for $110. I just could not see spending nearly $1200 extra at that time. If prices are now close to $2K then I doubt my R will ever see its original tank reinstalled. I am planning on keeping the original cell, and all its components, but as the price for replacement bladders goes up and the value of my R stays the same, or has even decreased, I will leave a regular tank in. I can still drive it and enjoy it. I would consider a look a like steel or aluminum unit that does not have a bladder, as long as the cost did not top $1K. I would even reinstall the foam on the inside of the replica so it would just as effective as the original.

Saleenrose

Established Member
One of the problems with Fuelsafe has been a lack of interest in fixing a stock 95r tank, they want to change the design and said they did not have a bladder that fit the stock tank. I have called and got no response back so I guess I will have to call again, I only live 200 miles from them and may just buzzz over there and ask what the problem is.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
The foam only slows down sloshing which is NOT the primary point of a fuel cell (it is an advantage of course). The main point, is during an impact, the metal of the tank can be deformed such that it would leak, but the bladder inside allows this deformation, while still containing the fuel.

I I would even reinstall the foam on the inside of the replica so it would just as effective as the original.

Users who are viewing this thread