Fuel hats

Slowbra01

Established Member
Hey guys, so in my other thread, i am interested in buying an 03/0 tank because of the sump in it. I am not sure if the pump in it is still working or not, so I am thinking ahead of researching what would be best to do if the pumps were not working.

The car is basically a stock 01 cobra with just o/r X and catback, and JLT intake. Suspension = MM CC plates. MGW shifter. Basically stock.

In a week or so, i will be having a shop basically do the entire front suspension along with long tube headers....still, nothing that would need more fuel.

My future plans include procharging the cobra. I know i will eventually need more fuel, so i'm figuring, as i'm running into deals, why not get them now instead of waiting for the day i get the procharger.

So I came across this deal:
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...-hat-gt-super-car-pumps-wire-upgrade.1135525/

I understand there are different generations of fuel hats, is this one the latest? Assuming from the pics it looks like it is set up for returnees (the plug fitting) but can be set up for return style?
Since there are two pumps, I will need a second FPDM?
Is there anything else i should know?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You might be better off posting in the 03/04 Cobra forum if you really want to upgrade tanks.

With that said though, you can get pretty far on a single Ford GT pump and a 20A BAP. It'll likely provide enough fuel for 600 rwhp.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It can be used in a returnless set up. That's what the pipe plug is there for. Remove that plug and you can use it in a return style.

The second FPDM isn't required. All the FPDM's are the same. When you start pushing big power and big pumps a second FPDM drops the duty cycle.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
So I came across this deal:
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...-hat-gt-super-car-pumps-wire-upgrade.1135525/

I understand there are different generations of fuel hats, is this one the latest? Assuming from the pics it looks like it is set up for returnees (the plug fitting) but can be set up for return style?
The little blue plug you see in the pics can be removed to plumb a return line. All fore hats are built that way.

Since there are two pumps, I will need a second FPDM?

Will you NEED a second FPDM? Maybe...maybe not. There seems to be several answers to this question depending on who you ask:

1. No, you're fine, but under extreme conditions you might overheat the stocker

2. No, you're fine, but you need to upgrade the power feed to the stocker to prevent overheating

3. No, but you need a modified FPDM (do they even still sell these?)

4. No, but you should probably get a BAP when you get to boost

5. Yes, get a dual FPDM kit.

Me personally, I want with the dual kit as I use my car on a road course which means that I'll be asking the world of the FPDMs for a lot longer periods of time than your average drag racer or light-to-light kind of guy. It's up to you who you believe.

Is there anything else i should know?

Fore hats necessarily delete the PPRV (positive pressure retention valve). This means that no pressure is retained in the fuel system when you turn off the key. Normally, this means nothing on a cold start as the pumps run full-out when you hit the key, but they DON'T on a hot start. So you'll have to leave the key in the on position momentarily to allow the pumps to re-prime the system or you'll get a very long crank time. You get used to it real quick.

TheGateKeeper

Established Member
That is a nice score. I just bought a factory twin hat with dual Focus 255s and hose upgrade/pprv delete for 150. I've been wondering the same things, but I've already got a Vortech in the car that is maxing the DC on a single stealth 325 @6100rpm (with the typical random dropout spikes from stealth pumps). Should I be running a second pump driver with boost or just a wiring upgrade? Already have a relay and 10 gauge upgrade TO my FPDM. Was going to replace all of the wires FROM the driver to pumps with 10 gauge and see how that worked.

Slowbra01

Established Member
I actually didn't end up buying it. Someone else on the forum did.

However, I scored an 03/04 tank with stock pumps for $185.

I dropped off my car at Thunder Autosports in Boynton Beach, Fl. It's been a week now. I'm having them install the 03/04 tank, bunch of MM suspension stuff in the front, springs in the back, and new clutch, quadrant, firewall adjuster, and cable. As well as long tubes and x pipe.

In a couple months, gonna have the irs done.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW I ran twin GT pumps with just a wire upgrade for a few years with no issue. Kept the stock single FPDM too. Those same pumps are in my 04 now. But my pullied Eaton isn't pushing them near as hard as my old set ups.

Users who are viewing this thread