Functional Hood Vents 96-98 Cobra Hood

digdugdaddy

Tainty Suprise
Established Member
Has anyone done it? Made the little snorts on top of the hoods function as vents? I know I've seen some ram air setups, just curious if they would serve a purpose to help vent out some engine heat as well.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
its an interesting idea, I do think someone here has tried it before, but I cant remember who

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Has anyone done it? Made the little snorts on top of the hoods function as vents? I know I've seen some ram air setups, just curious if they would serve a purpose to help vent out some engine heat as well.

SNORTS?! :lol1: lmao.. nostrils ;-)

Did anything come up when you did a search?

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I cut mine out, but I never took any pics.
heres one with the snorts opened up.
DSCN0096.jpg

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I used a dremel and trimmed mine under the hood. I might have a pic of it- its nothing special and i dont know if it does anything, but it cant hurt

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Done it. You won't get ram air as they are in a low pressure area of the hood.

No noticable difference in engine temps but the low pressure area should help suck out a little heat while moving and you can see heat rising out of them at stop lights.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Done it. You won't get ram air as they are in a low pressure area of the hood.

No noticable difference in engine temps but the low pressure area should help suck out a little heat while moving and you can see heat rising out of them at stop lights.

this.. did it on mine..

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I was just thinking about doing this! What are you guys using as a screen to keep bugs from getting sucked into those openings?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I was just thinking about doing this! What are you guys using as a screen to keep bugs from getting sucked into those openings?

Nothing. If a bug happens to get through there, its not going to hurt anything and will end up making its way out through the bottom of the car. Only potential problem is if you drive in the rain, your engine may get a little dirty

My94GT

Established Member
i think the only thing ive noticed with mine open was the amount of dirt that built up under the hood lol

Cursed_9d8

Established Member
I thought about doing this on my 98 while I was at the autocross. I thought maybe it would vent a little more heat between runs.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I was just about to do mine while its in storage, got a ton of projects going on and thought of doing this, so all in all was it worth if for those of you that have?

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
did you all cut the whole thing out? I would think it would still look nice if you just carefully drill out each indention in the piece.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
did you all cut the whole thing out? I would think it would still look nice if you just carefully drill out each indention in the piece.

If I were to do it this is what I would try to do. My only concern would be the dust that comes in now so I would have to to try to put a tiny airfilter somewhere. My engine bay is pretty clean and I would like to keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread