GA sheriff purchases a hellcat as a "work vehicle"

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m surprised he can use it as a personal vehicle. All my cop friends except for a trooper don’t take cars home. I also doubt its equipped as a patrol vehicle but it doesn’t seem to be fully needed in this case. The Gas mileage I’m sure isn’t great but I think we’re starting to split hairs here. I’m for less government spending and waste but let’s pick our battles.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Regardless how he is using it, questioning a $70k + vehicle (and all of its baggage) is not what I classify as splitting hairs. This isn't Mad Max where you need a weiland topped motor (complete with on/off switch lol) because you patrol the wasteland.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've seen several s550 5.0 police vehicles usually while I'm at bike week and they are directing traffic in/out of the dealers. Would be sweet to drive that every day for work. Reminds me of the z28 camaro trooper cars we used to have. Back in the day our sheriff got away with a 96 impala SS as his cop car/personal car

There's a blacked out one with hidden lights around Wilmington, NC. He's sneaky AF.

Its probably the only thing they feel safe in lol I went to MB for the 4th this year and it was a complete shit show there. I stayed at the Patricia Grand and someone got stabbed there during my stay. Some fight or something happened at Broadway while we were out at dinner that night and our waitress told us it was an active shooter and hostage situation. LOL Thankfully that was just BS I guess but the locals don't seemed too phased by it

It's like most places, the cops know where all the trouble makers are.

jshen

Established Member
As a now retired prosecuting atty I did asset forfeiture cases and a lot of them. This case is all about greed and envy on the part of DOJ and those at Atl. Journal...news. If there is any way Feds can get involved in a state case- they will take all the assets they want and "screw" the state agencies involved. The Atl news...has always hated police and such reporting by them is like taking CNN at face value...

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Its probably the only thing they feel safe in lol I went to MB for the 4th this year and it was a complete shit show there. I stayed at the Patricia Grand and someone got stabbed there during my stay. Some fight or something happened at Broadway while we were out at dinner that night and our waitress told us it was an active shooter and hostage situation. LOL Thankfully that was just BS I guess but the locals don't seemed too phased by it
it happens every day here. you forgot about the drug execution that happened that week too
Warrant: Myrtle Beach murder was drug deal gone bad

if people had any clue how much crime happened here, they visit NYC...because it's safer

4.698gt

Established Member
IIRK, they have had that Beat the Heat program for years. They sponsor nights at a local drag strip where you can come out and race the cops.

I find it laughable that a $70,000 Dodge is extravagant, but the Horry county cops have this:

View attachment 1502955

That thing probably costs more than $70,000 a year in maintenance costs, but it is the safest thing to be driving during Mustang Week. They say is it for disaster/hurricane relief, but I think a couple $8,000 deuce&halfs would do even better.

There's a good chance the township/County got. That for nothing as part of some Military surplus program. I know after hurricane sandy alot of the local townships got heavy duty former military vehicles along with front end loader bulldozers ect. through the same program. Quick Google search and it's called the 1033 program. Saved millions for states and towns across the nation. They receive tons of surplus equipment such as cold weather gear, ammunition, mres, generators ect.

Edit: as far charger scenario that's probably not needed by the dept.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There's a good chance the township/County got. That for nothing as part of some Military surplus program. I know after hurricane sandy alot of the local townships got heavy duty former military vehicles along with front end loader bulldozers ect. through the same program. Quick Google search and it's called the 1033 program. Saved millions for states and towns across the nation. They receive tons of surplus equipment such as cold weather gear, ammunition, mres, generators ect.

Edit: as far charger scenario that's probably not needed by the dept.

I'm sure that's how they got it, but the operating costs most likely far outweigh the benefit.

cbj5259

Established Member
Our Narcotics strike force guys have a 2017 Raptor, Ram Rebel and a CTS-V among some other stuff...pfffft on a Hellcat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I know they aren't baller, HPD and some other local agencies are using 5th, 6th gen Camaro's. I can't imagine those are too much fun to climb in and out of in uniform with gun belt, vest and gear...lol

camaro.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
IMG_6585.jpg

jshen

Established Member
Camaro- cop car??? I can't think of a more dangerous vehicle for an officer to occupy. 1) Your vision is extremely limited! 2) entrance and egress- especially under exigent conditions is hampered by officers equipment. Where are you to store your stuff- especially an detainee? and God forbid if you wreck or get submerged...how do you get out .

jshen

Established Member
Our Narcotics strike force guys have a 2017 Raptor, Ram Rebel and a CTS-V among some other stuff...pfffft on a Hellcat.

One can argue all day long about necessisty/low profile etc. I can tell you firsthand it is considered an unpaid for perk..to make officers happy. I even had a squad on a raid confiscate an Xbox two days before Christmas...that was an 8 year old's Christmas gift..When I heard about it and saw agents taking turns playing games while they were listening on phone taps...I declined the forfeiture and all "toys" were released..

cbj5259

Established Member
They are either used for community events or as traffic enforcement/highway vehicles. They dont even make cages for them. If the officer ends up with an arrest, another unit will be doing the transport. These are no different than the Mustang 5.0 SSP cars from the late 80s that several highway patrols used.
Camaro- cop car??? I can't think of a more dangerous vehicle for an officer to occupy. 1) Your vision is extremely limited! 2) entrance and egress- especially under exigent conditions is hampered by officers equipment. Where are you to store your stuff- especially an detainee? and God forbid if you wreck or get submerged...how do you get out .

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

I agree with all these points, submerged scenario is a real hazard here in the bayou city with the severe weather we get, an officer drowned during the Hurricane Harvey last summer. Even our normal torrential downpours can flood roads and underpasses quickly. That aside I think these are primarily ticket hounds/speed enforcement and DOT enforcement.

jshen

Established Member
View attachment 1503004

What’s upsetting is that a lot of police officers are underpaid. Imagine getting paid crap and driving your bucket Toyota Camry home to your single wide trailer while some bastard buys a Hellcat to drive to and from work.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Did it for 13 years!!! Started at $550.00 a month!!! When one is hungry any job looks good....So even though salary sounds bad- it increases quickly, there a huge amount of perks..such as working off duty jobs for cash, living free a an apt complex so the can advertise security..When I left in 1986, my $32,500.00 job provided another 30k in benefits and cash....and I started as a prosecuting lawyer at 25K....how stupid was I....

Gravik

Established Member
IIRK, they have had that Beat the Heat program for years. They sponsor nights at a local drag strip where you can come out and race the cops.

I find it laughable that a $70,000 Dodge is extravagant, but the Horry county cops have this:

View attachment 1502955

That thing probably costs more than $70,000 a year in maintenance costs, but it is the safest thing to be driving during Mustang Week. They say is it for disaster/hurricane relief, but I think a couple $8,000 deuce&halfs would do even better.
If its former military vehicle then it didnt cost them a dime.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jshen

Established Member
They are either used for community events or as traffic enforcement/highway vehicles. They dont even make cages for them. If the officer ends up with an arrest, another unit will be doing the transport. These are no different than the Mustang 5.0 SSP cars from the late 80s that several highway patrols used.

Mustangs had the same problem...neighboring jurisdictions lost officers. Heck the only can that could take a lick when I was an officer was a Crown Vic. When I started we had 440 mag Ply Satellites...spun tires everywhere and could not go around a corner.

cbj5259

Established Member
Mustangs had the same problem...neighboring jurisdictions lost officers. Heck the only can that could take a lick when I was an officer was a Crown Vic. When I started we had 440 mag Ply Satellites...spun tires everywhere and could not go around a corner.
My first assigned cruiser was a 1995 Caprice with the LT1. I'd still drive that car if it was around. Went like a raped ape.

Users who are viewing this thread