Garage Lighting Opinions

Voltwings

Established Member
So my wife and i just moved into a new house, and as you can see the garage lighting situation is ... dismal. I have about $250 to work with, and i am looking to install some new LED (or whatever works best) lights and would like some help with the placement.

The current lights (you can see the bulb near the corner of the rear bay door frame) are way too far forward, and i would like to move them about 2 feet towards the rear of the garage (red lines in the attached photo) so that when a car pulls in and pops the hood, the hood is not creating a shadow. To do this though, it would basically have the last light in the 3rd bay completely covered by the garage door if it was ever opened.

So here's a few things i realize, but I would like other opinions.

1. I realize that if i have that rear bay door opened for some airflow, it would also let light in so it's probably a non issue other than the fact i may be wasting money on a light that's covered up.

2. I realize i can install the lights in the current position (the green line shows about 5 feet between garage door frames of unobstructed space) but if i wanted to work under the hood of a car, the car would only be able to pull halfway into the garage. Note, my wife pulled in WAY too far in these pics, there's an easy 2 - 2.5 feet behind her mustang. I'd like to be able to work with the doors closed if at all possible.

3. The garage is 31 feet long (x 21 feet deep for those interested) but really i'll only be working in the first 2 bays (1 being where i am standing, and 2 being the mustang respectively) so really i could just install 2 nice 8 foot lights on this half of the garage and say screw the 3rd bay, but the aesthetics of that would really bother me, as stupid as it may sound.

4. I've thought about staggering sets of 4 foot lights - basically have a light in the 5 foot open space of the 3rd bay, then stagger back the 2 feet i want in the 2nd bay, then stagger back forward 2 feet for bay 1... This would cover the most light and should still be aesthetically pleasing, but now i need to split each light junction two ways instead of either just running it or moving it. This is a possibility, i am very handy, but i have done exactly 0 electrical work before so i'll need to read up on how realistic this is or what my options are.

I'm sure some of you guys have done some garage lighting and i'm just hoping someone can help make this a lot easier than i am trying to make it. Thanks.

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 131

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Spend your money on a good reeled shop light. I have the same issue as you with the garage lighting. When working on your car you want direct to source light. A good reeled shop light with an LED bulb will provide better lighting for working on your car.

Something like this at each bay.
https://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-864-Work-Light-Metal/dp/B005G2SEC8

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Our 3 car garage has 4 flush mounted LED lights as well as the openers, and 3 windows. So light isn't typically an issue. But I like the above idea of a reeled shop light.

CV355

_
Established Member
ElectraLED sells inexpensive IP67-rated LED bars. We actually use them as a cost-effective option on equipment where the $400 alternative is not necessary.

The ones I use run about $35 a piece, depending on length and output.

Voltwings

Established Member
Interesting. Those Electra LEDs put out about half the lumens of what i was looking at at Home Depot, but they cost about half as much as well.

madscotsman

Established Member
I have 3 of these as well as 2 fluorescent overhead lights in my garage.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...LED-High-Output-Shop-Light-54264141/206028859
Probably going to replace the fluorescents with LED as well.

I bought one shorter one and hung it perpendicular to the car about 2 feet in front of it on the ceiling. Make sure you check where your hanging your lighting with the hood open on the car as it usually blocks most typical light positions from helping to use when wrenching on the car.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I have 3 of these as well as 2 fluorescent overhead lights in my garage.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...LED-High-Output-Shop-Light-54264141/206028859
Probably going to replace the fluorescents with LED as well.

I bought one shorter one and hung it perpendicular to the car about 2 feet in front of it on the ceiling. Make sure you check where your hanging your lighting with the hood open on the car as it usually blocks most typical light positions from helping to use when wrenching on the car.

I have 6 of these in my 2 bay garage. Cheap and very bright. I put them all on a switched circuit so I don't need to use the pull cords every time.

madscotsman

Established Member
I have 6 of these in my 2 bay garage. Cheap and very bright. I put them all on a switched circuit so I don't need to use the pull cords every time.
It must be like being on the surface of the sun with 6 of those LOL!!!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Growing up my dad put decent lighting in the garage and I got spoiled with it, my thought on the matter is you can't have too much light.

If it was me, I would run your lights where the red lines are, maybe a little closer to the wall. Then do a second row of lights closer to the garage doors.

Because you have easy access up there, it wouldn't take much to run a second set, drop wire down to the switch over on the wall and install a second switch.

If you wanted to work with the doors open you could just turn on the set of lights closer to the house/wall. If you had them closed you could turn on both sets.

I would also install a drop light in the center of the garage because they are really nice to have.

LEDs are the only bulb to buy anymore.

Voltwings

Established Member
Growing up my dad put decent lighting in the garage and I got spoiled with it, my thought on the matter is you can't have too much light.

If it was me, I would run your lights where the red lines are, maybe a little closer to the wall. Then do a second row of lights closer to the garage doors.

Because you have easy access up there, it wouldn't take much to run a second set, drop wire down to the switch over on the wall and install a second switch.

If you wanted to work with the doors open you could just turn on the set of lights closer to the house/wall. If you had them closed you could turn on both sets.

I would also install a drop light in the center of the garage because they are really nice to have.

LEDs are the only bulb to buy anymore.

This is not a bad idea. Out of the current budget, but that design is very modular, and easy to do in phases.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This is not a bad idea. Out of the current budget, but that design is very modular, and easy to do in phases.
Yeah. You could just do one set for now and in a few months when you have a couple bucks you could finish it up.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I went a little full retard on garage lighting and am happy for it. I have ten fixtures which provide decent light, but I’ll still have a shadow under a car’s hood raised. You need a combo of ambient and task lighting to get an ideal workshop. These fixtures aren’t cheap, partially because of contractor markup during the home’s construction. Here is a link to the Metalux light fixtures.
https://media.plattstatic.com/Produ...8FEB/754344CD-87DF-4ADD-8003-C1DF64088FEB.pdf

E9EC907B-FDE5-4199-A5DB-CBB71FAD9EF9.jpeg

Last edited:

mattb21

Established Member

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
my thought on the matter is you can't have too much light.

+1

I always had to do plug in type floresent lighting. Everytime I moved they got brken so I got new ones. Go the cheaper route first, see how you like the lighting, upgrade further if need be.

LED Light stands, and the reel as mentioned are used in conjunction with ceiling lights. You can never have enough light

Good stuff to keep everyone entertainined

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259041

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Think about mounting some single strip LED on the wall at 6 foot high in front of car. This will help with shadows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread