Garage Queens - Do you ever think of selling?

HPLouis

Established Member
I bought this car on 9/15 with 2600 miles and in the year and a half I've owned it, I put on 2000 miles. With the winters, waiting for the salt to finally get off the roads, work, travel, rainy weather, etc., there really isn't a lot of time to drive it. Also, I have the BMW and Lexus to beat up on so, the Cobra has become :gulp: a garage queen.

Whenever the car is stored for the winter, I spend most of it contemplating selling it. Seeing how rare and expensive parts are, such as chin spoilers and third brake lights, etc. doesn't help either. Does that ever happen to you guys? Or do you shake the feeling off when the spring time comes around?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I have an 04 that I purchased with 5600 miles on it back in 09. It now has 6850 on it. Lol I think about it alot because of how much I work I rarely get to drive it. But man, would I be an angry old drunk if I sold that now and later in retirement I didn't have it. It is legit my dream car. I would say hold on to it man. Look at all the terminator guys that leave. A large percentage of them come back.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I "DO" think about selling often. However, my dilemma is a little different. I just think I have too many cars and I do not have the time to dedicate the type of attention to them that I like too.

This mainly applies to my Vert and my Roush. I would NEVER sell my Cobra coupe or my 65 (I do want to keep some of my toys LOL).

I think about selling the Roush just because it does not have the power level of the Cobra. The parts are almost impossible to find and it's not worth what I was hoping it would be due to Roush saturating the market. I bought the car in Nov of 02 with 1500 miles on it (it was a Roush Demo car). The odometer only reads 7500 now.

My Vert I originally planned on disassembling it to use the interior, floor pan and drive train and mate it to my 65. Kind of like project SN65. However, once I got it home and my wife drove it with the top down she said no way LOL. So, I started to work on it and bring it back up to my standards. Now that it's done it just sits there like the Roush. No fun driving a convertible in winter.

So, I do think about selling, but if I do I will still have a Cobra coupe and a pretty bad@$$ 65. So, my situation is a little different than yours.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're probably smart to keep it, even if you rarely drive it, unless you have a need to sell it for the cash. Some Terminator owners have happily moved on to GT-500s, etc., while others definitely move on a later regret it. To this day, I still miss my '03 Cobra (especially now that summer is approaching), but not enough to buy another one at this point. I'm likely in the minority, though.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Never plan on selling. Parts are getting expensive but I don't owe on the car so if there's something I need (hopefully that doesn't happen) I'll just pony up for it.

Plus having a garage queen affords me more time to do what I want with the car. For example, just the other day I backed the car on the race ramps and noticed that the exhaust tip hangers had rusty bolts. So I unbolted the hangers, went to Ford and ordered the OEM hanger bolts. It took a week for them to come in and the guy said I got the last ones he could find in the country on his system. I also paid a little more than just going to the hardware store but I got the exact OEM replacements, so the car sat for a week with the exhaust unbolted. Got the new bolts in and bolted up and everything looks clean and new under there again.

Thats why I like owning a garage queen, no time table, just do what you want at your leisure. Its one of the things that calms me with my hectic life.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
I sold my 03 DSG recently because it rarely saw 1k miles per year and storing it for 6-7 months did not help either (Oct - April). I am, however, having sellers remorse already. I do have another 03, but I still miss my DSG.

HPLouis

Established Member
That's my biggest fear too. I would hate to sell the car, then month or years later, I'm sitting around with regret and then I'm back on the search looking for another Terminator. What I've usually found is when you're trying to get back in, it's not the same. It gets harder to find the color you want.....or the miles you want....or the mods you want.....or just a stock car, etc.

I sold a 95 R about 12 years ago and I'm still looking for that car. I actually found this one and stopped the search.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
You're certainly right. The feeling is not the same with this one. The one I sold had little to no modification and had zero issues. Can't say the same with this one unfortunately. Finding a car that hasn't been beat to piss or modified to hell and back is getting really hard to find. I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy these cars in stock form with the addition of intake, exhaust, lowering springs, and wheels.

HPLouis

Established Member
I'm the same way. Back in the day, I loved modding the hell out of my car. I had a blown 99 Cobra, blown 95R, blown 95 Cobra, etc and I did it all myself. Now, I'm just happy with a mellow exhaust note (my current exhaust is a catted X pipe and the quiet Borla catback) and the top down.

It would be very hard for me to find a stock mystichrome vert as stock as mine with 2900 miles.

nxhappy

Established Member
I have issues keeping cars LOL. But now with the Terminator and Viper I HOPE I am done selling cars.

HPLouis

Established Member
I used to be the same way. I would buy a stock car, then I would mod the crap out of it. Now that it's modded and it's all done, I get bored, sell the car and then get another one, mod that, sell it and the cycle continues......

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have had a habit of keeping a "fun" car no more than 3-4 years. And that was my intention when I sold my '04 mystichrome vert and bought 04sleepers car. But now I've had it for 6+ years and have had numerous chances to sell it....but just can't do it. I love roasting tires once a week and think it's been a tremendous value for what it does and what it looks like. A bargain really. I ask myself "what would I replace it with??". I can't come up with a good enough answer to let it go yet.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I used to be the same way. I would buy a stock car, then I would mod the crap out of it. Now that it's modded and it's all done, I get bored, sell the car and then get another one, mod that, sell it and the cycle continues......
That's what I do.

I'm on my 3rd terminator. If I sell this one, I'll be moving on to something else.

Probably of the z06 variety.

cj428mach

Established Member
I say get out and enjoy the car. My car had 7500 miles on it 3.5 years ago it now has 12,500 miles on it and I crave driving it.

I figure at the rate I drive the car it'll still be low mileage when im to old to drive.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Nope, I'll be buried in my car. I couldn't ever sell it

I put 400 miles on it last summer, but two little kids will do that. Hoping this year and moving forward I'll get to drive it more...but we'll see.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I do think about it every now and then until I drive as mentioned above. Original owner with 19K on it.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Nope, I'll be buried in my car. I couldn't ever sell it

I put 400 miles on it last summer, but two little kids will do that. Hoping this year and moving forward I'll get to drive it more...but we'll see.

Two kids put a hurting on my car time, lol. I haven't even driven it since october. House projects are probably going to keep it in the garage until summer i'd say.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The UPS guy that comes to my work wanted to buy my car yesterday. I'm sure I could sell it without an issue if I wanted. But I've finally started making it mine. Lord knows it's got enough of my blood already. I really don't think I could sell it if someone was serious.

Little kids can make out hard to get time behind the wheel. But if they grow up around it they learn to love it. My kids are teens and both get excited when I say we're taking the Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread