Getting tired of this (blue puff of smoke every time I start my car)

dtd01svt

Established Member
Bumping this back up after a few years....
I just bought my 03 SB a few months ago and have same issue with the blue smoke at start up. Sometimes is pretty bad..
How do you go about checking the intake manifold for oil? Just take the S/C off and start inspecting? Not really a job I want to do right now but maybe after the season. I'd like to enjoy the car and not have it under the knife just yet. I already installed a JLT Separator on the driver side and nothing has changed. Although, after just a 150 miles, I'm seeing oil in the catch can.

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...ery-time-i-start-my-car.851659/#post-15609003

cj428mach

Established Member
I think jlt is a great company with great customer service and usually a great product but I've owned one of their separators and they don't catch any oil.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
In the old days, this was typically caused by worn valve seals.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Things are still the same today.
Seems a lot of these cars that dont get driven a lot , will have this problem , as the seals dry out and leak .

dtd01svt

Established Member
That's what I'm a little worried about. I really don't want to pull the heads and replace the valve stem seals on a car with only 33k miles. Because if I do, I'll end up putting cams in it. And if I do that, then comes the TVS. LOL

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Could be valve guides or seals. You could try just putting in new seals. The heads don't have to be pulled, just the valve covers. It is a pain though doing it in the engine bay but it can be done. I've done it with aftermarket springs that were a bear and it sucked. Stock springs not to bad.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
When I had my service station back in 70's, I did valve seal jobs quite a bit. With head on, I used compressed air to hold the valves in place, while a small spring compressor took care of the springs. Of course, none of the cars back then had overhead cams, which makes the job take a lot more time. But the good news is: the seals fixed virtually every car that had that "puff of blue smoke at startup" symptom.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
My coupe was sitting in storage most of its life and it has this problem.

But my other car, that I drove everyday right off the dealership lot, does not burn even a hint of oil even though it has a ton more mileage.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Does it smoke on both cold and warm start ups? I had it happen on cold start up. I pulled the plugs and found one plug was darker than the rest. It smelled like fuel. Ended up having a leaky fuel injector.

dtd01svt

Established Member
Does it smoke on both cold and warm start ups? I had it happen on cold start up. I pulled the plugs and found one plug was darker than the rest. It smelled like fuel. Ended up having a leaky fuel injector.

It's only on cold startups. I think.... I don't remember on a warm startup. I'll have to try it

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
yep, probably valve seals. It's burning oil....just make sure you top it off when necessary....won't really hurt anything. Your plugs are going to foul often.

Users who are viewing this thread