GT350R wins vs ZL1 in M/T & KBB h2h's.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Suprised to see the gt350r won out in 2 very similar comparison. Kelly blue book has a video up and live, motortrend has a premium subscription content video available or a free write up.

Motortrend

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...l1-vs-2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-review/

KBB

I looked to see if it's already been discussed here but didn't see any threads.

On camaro6... 39 pages of discussion (mobile version)

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491398

My favorite is a guy has a gt350 and a zl1 and concludes that the zl1 is the better car than a gt350r because of his seat time with his gt350. 0.ο nice guy I'm sure but flawed logic.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Why'd they add the $3k to the price of the 350R for reinstall of the AC/Infotainment system? Is that common for R buyers to put back on?

And goddamn the Mustang looks SO much better than the Camarbro side by side.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
This is all I have to say about that..

IMG_8064.JPG

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Was it just a track comparison or did they take them to the drag strip as well?
I would "assume" that the ZL1 would make the GT350R look silly on the track.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The zl1 was .39 seconds faster around big willow, the gt350r was .1 faster around their figure 8.

At the drag strip, the 650hp zl1 ran 11.8@123 with 0-60 in 3.9

The 526hp gt350r ran 12.2@119 with 0-60 in 4.0

4-5mph trap speed difference is indicative of +/- 150hp while 200lbs heavier.

I'm surprised they gave the win to the gt350r. In both articles they said both cars are fantastic but the gt350r just felt more special/nuanced. They akinned it to a 911 gt3. The zl1 has a much less memorable exhaust note as well.

They said in the motortrend review that the track was very slippery. The mpsc2's on the gt350r were "merely adequate"

New zl1 is a fantastic car, nobody who buys one is getting hosed.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
@ZYBORG

It's an na 5.2L vs an sc'd 6.2L, to be completely honest I would have thought the zl1 would trap 125-128. I think the weather wasn't ideal, regardless of correction factor.

I'm very surprised the gt350r was faster around leguna than the new zl1. That, I didn't expect.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
@ZYBORG

It's an na 5.2L vs an sc'd 6.2L, to be completely honest I would have thought the zl1 would trap 125-128. I think the weather wasn't ideal, regardless of correction factor.

I'm very surprised the gt350r was faster around leguna than the new zl1. That, I didn't expect.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each motor. Pick your poison.

New ZL1s have trapped 125-127 bone stock.

Do you have a link to the laguna comparo?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've seen 128 in a motor week review. The new zl1 is about perfect, but the zl1 1le will be incredible.

I don't have a link, they said those times iirc in the motortrend test.

To give an idea of how far the football has been moved, the 2013 gt500pp ran 1:37.6 and and the 2013 zl1 ran 1:38.2 at leguna. The gt350r running 1:35.4 is just mental for a 526hp car.

Thing is there's no science or validity to the times because they aren't same day, same conditions.

In the motortrend comparison that they just did, they had an entire side article made to disclose why the zl1 was roughly 2 seconds slower same drive same track but different conditions. They concluded it was washed out and had very little rubber on it.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
There definitely isnt anything like a head to head, same day, same weather, same track, same driver comparo.

HP is not as relevant as the whole package. 350R is a far far FAR superior handling machine than a 13+ 500.

Even the old zl1 handles much better than the 13+ 500. The one thing that the 13+ 500 has, is good handling and gobbs of power. Its a highway bruiser.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
It is basically down to which car grabs your nads. Very few people(myself included) can drive these cars to their full potential. The real comparison for a track junky would be how much it costs to run a full season of track events. I'll stick to the car I bought, and the fun it gives me.

silver srt 8

Established Member
Although a nice car and many people like them, putting the Zo6 motor in the camaro would be akin to ford putting the GT500 motor in a mustang, just seems underwhelming to me.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The gt500 motor did go in a mustang, the gt500 is a mustang gt500. Cleared the air and said what many wanted to.

I get your analogy. If ford put the Ford GT 3.5L 650hp ecoboost in the mustang I wouldn't be jumping up and down happy, I'd call it a bit of a caup out. Great engine, but no. Do something unique to mustang. Bespoke if you will. No lazy hand me arounds please.

That said, a voodoo focus rs or rwd voodoo sedan... Ok I'm just biased.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The gt500 motor did go in a mustang, the gt500 is a mustang gt500. Cleared the air and said what many wanted to.

I get your analogy. If ford put the Ford GT 3.5L 650hp ecoboost in the mustang I wouldn't be jumping up and down happy, I'd call it a bit of a caup out. Great engine, but no. Do something unique to mustang. Bespoke if you will. No lazy hand me arounds please.

That said, a voodoo focus rs or rwd voodoo sedan... Ok I'm just biased.

Id say the FGT is much different than a Corvette. The corvette is just a great performing sports car. The FGT is an exotic.

I dont see anything wrong with a corvette engine in the camaro. Saves us all money and gives us more performance. Everyone wins.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Zyborg what is the better car....997 gt3rs or 991 gt3rs?

More than one have said it's the 997 despite losing in the performance comparisons to the 991.

Drive and feel and total enjoyment is what I seek in my performance vehicle. That's why a 997 gt3rs would get the nod ahead of the 991 or demon or zl1/1le.
That's why the R won. It's better to drive.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
@silver srt 8

Cool, wasn't trying to bash or cause hard feelings.

I was saying I am literally biased because id be totally fine with a voodoo 5.2L v8 focus rs or rwd sedan. I'm not bouncing up and down every time Chevy drops the corvette mill in everything else but from a business and consumer standpoint, it is excellent/great value.

Users who are viewing this thread