GT500 engine removal

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
Unfortunately I think I fried a piston in my number 5 cylinder on my 09 GT500 do you know how much and how many hours it will take a shop to remove my engine to inspect the head? One shop told me 23 hours just want some opinions to make sure I’m not getting ripped off. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

merkyworks

Established Member
A bore scope can easily be inserted through the spark plug hole in the head to inspect the piston.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
A bore scope can easily be inserted through the spark plug hole in the head to inspect the piston.

I have another thread just below this one that is related me and my cousin used one but pic is hard to make out having my shop use theirs to look
IMG_0119.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
One shop said it looks like the piston is smashed it kinda looks like a foreign object in there as well. Anyway anyone know how much money to pull engine and how many hours?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

fullboogie

Established Member
This doesn't answer your question, but for you guys having these issues - you can buy a 1080p scope that hooks up to your phone/tablet/laptop via wifi for about $40 off Amazon. I use one in my race skis and the picture is quite good.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This doesn't answer your question, but for you guys having these issues - you can buy a 1080p scope that hooks up to your phone/tablet/laptop via wifi for about $40 off Amazon. I use one in my race skis and the picture is quite good.

Amazon has many listed, which one did you buy?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
You are being strung out , if the shop tells you it takes more than 4 or 5 hours to remove that engine , and probably have no clue what they are doing .
I would find a shop that knows mustangs .

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
i do not know the answer personally but asked a friend who works at a service station and he felt worst case scenario it should take less than half of the time they quoted you to pull the engine and diagnose. he has worked on mustangs before but not a GT500 so he could be off a bit.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Nickstobias,
Do not take it to a shop that seldom if ever works on GT500's. Ask around and locate a shop that specializes in GT500's or at least high performance vehicles.
I am sure that if you ask, someone here will be able to point you in the right direction. These engines are expensive to rebuild correctly and unbelievably expensive if they are rebuilt badly.

sleek98

Established Member
2018-04-23 16_09_44-ALLDATAdiy.com - 2012 Ford Mustang V8-5.png

This is a 2012 but should be close. Looks like R&R book time is 20 hours Just to pull the motor should be 8-9 hours

fullboogie

Established Member
Amazon has many listed, which one did you buy?

Yes, sorry - I should have posted a link. Here is the one I've used for about a year and it's been very good: well, for some reason this site won't let me link to an Amazon URL. So look up "Depstech Wireless Endoscope"

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd check compression on no. 5 before I pull it apart. You should be able to get a better view of the top of that piston with a bore scope than what you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread