GT500 IC/HE Pump Comparison

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
To date I have yet to see a comprehensive comparison regarding the two electronic pumps that Ford has used for the intercooling system as used on the GT500 vehicles from '07-'14. Hopefully we can get into more detail here.

Ford used two different pumps. The first was a Bosch pump and was used from '07-'12. The latest pump is from Pierburg Pump Technology and was used on the '13/'14. Both pumps have shown up on a variety of different vehicles both foreign and domestic. The Bosch pump is available through a variety of outlets. The one I have was sourced from Buyfordracing and was originally marketed as a "Lightning" pump as the truck also used this pump as original equipment. It comes "pump only" as opposed to the same unit also coming with a bracket when ordered as the GT500 pump.

IMG_4107-Edit.jpg

IMG_4109-Edit.jpg

The Pierburg pump isn't carried through FRPP but can be obtained through Ford's Service network as well as a few other outlets. The design has obviously changed with the lastest unit becoming a bit shorter while also being a bit more rotund. Bosch in all black.

IMG_4111-Edit.jpg

IMG_4112-Edit.jpg

Both pumps come with either a sticker or engraving to identify them. First, the '07-'12 Bosch pump...

IMG_4115-Edit.jpg

The '13/'14 Pierburg pump...

IMG_4123-Edit.jpg

Both pumps use the same diameter hose and use a similar design at each end but clearly have their respective differences. They also use a different connector than one another.

'07-'12 Bosch...

IMG_4133-Edit.jpg

IMG_4134-Edit.jpg

'13/'14 Pierburg...

IMG_4138-Edit.jpg

IMG_4119-Edit.jpg

The two connectors side by side...

IMG_4142-Edit.jpg

I have to run but I wanted to get this one started. We can get into flow rates, etc, as well as the requisite harness needed to retrofit the Pierburg pump into the earlier '07-'12 vehicles. In fact, my favorite UPS guy just delivered one as I was starting to type. More when I can.

Tob

Steve@Tasca

:pop:

Should be interesting, thankfully Ford has actually seen fit to list a wiring pigtail for the new pump as well.

-Steve

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Very timely. I was looking to that '13-'14 pump as an upgrade in the near future.

BMR Tech

Tob, AWESOME.

Question; are you going to go above and beyond, and compare the flow IN THE SYSTEM with each pump?

I have "heard" the new pumps flow about 2-3X more, than the original 07-12 versions. I am not sure if that was "in the system" or just a test with some hoses and buckets...lol

I have a Jabsco Pump:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-50840-0012-Marine-Cyclone-12-Volt/dp/B000O8D2IK

This piece is rated at 29 GPM.

If you are going to flow these pumps in the system, I would gladly send you my Jabsco pump to test against these pieces you have here.

This could end up being a VERY impressive thread with data that everyone has wanted to see, for quite some time.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm anxious to see the results too.

Something of note... Just looking at the two pumps, it appears to me that the Bosch pump uses a 2-wire brushed motor, and the other is a 4-wire bushless. Generally, the bushless motors are more powerful, more efficient, and longer lasting.

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Tob, AWESOME.

Question; are you going to go above and beyond, and compare the flow IN THE SYSTEM with each pump?

I have "heard" the new pumps flow about 2-3X more, than the original 07-12 versions. I am not sure if that was "in the system" or just a test with some hoses and buckets...lol

I have a Jabsco Pump:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-50840-0012-Marine-Cyclone-12-Volt/dp/B000O8D2IK

This piece is rated at 29 GPM.

If you are going to flow these pumps in the system, I would gladly send you my Jabsco pump to test against these pieces you have here.

This could end up being a VERY impressive thread with data that everyone has wanted to see, for quite some time.

I bet this thing really moves some fluid, lol. 29GPM. Cheaper than the 13-14 unit as well :idea:. Curious to how you have it wired up Kelly

-Nick

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Tob - Here is the Ford diagram of the 2013/14 oem pump bracket that bolts to the drivers cyl. head. Since the 2007-12 mounts at the H/E some sort of bracket mods are needed, I am hoping to use a portion of this 3-pc. bracket, at least the 2-pieces that properly saddle/secure the pump in conjunction with whatever is required to attach this pump in the oem 2007-12 position.

001_zpseef5f083.jpg

R

Last edited:

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Most curious about the brush-less harness and how it would be made to work in the previous generation. Really glad to see Tob start this thread. I am interested in this topic and NOBODY puts forth as much effort into a thread than Tob!!

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Interesting find, looks like the short section is a factory Ford piece P/N DR3Z-14A411-C that goes for $5.00 and they've added the longer section on their own to make it a "kit".

-Steve

That kit also relocates the 2013/14 H/E pump to a location behind the drivers side bumper area and the clamp is for holding the pump in that location. My choice would be to locate the 2013/14 pump in the oem 2007-2012 location, if possible.

R

99SSls1

Established Member
I understand installing a better flowing pump but it may get to a point where more flow could actually diminish the cooling of the heat exchanger. I would think that 29 GPM pump may flow to much for a stock he, thus not leaving enough surface time. I am curious what ford did with GPM between the two. I am guessing they flow around 2-6 gpm's now.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I understand installing a better flowing pump but it may get to a point where more flow could actually diminish the cooling of the heat exchanger. I would think that 29 GPM pump may flow to much for a stock he, thus not leaving enough surface time. I am curious what ford did with GPM between the two. I am guessing they flow around 2-6 gpm's now.

If there was any loss from flowing too quickly through the heat exchanger, it would be countered by the gain of flowing quicker through the intercooler itself. A faster flowing system will always be more efficient than a slower stagnant system.

fullboogie

Established Member

Been proven a myth over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread