Handbrake/Parking brake cable replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Because of some confusion on how difficult this job is, someone asked me to describe the procedure I used from this thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/691596-handbrake-cable-broke.html

The job is pretty straightforward.

Take shifter bezel out, disconnect any/all wires underneath.. remove 2 screws holding the center console to the dash, unplug all wiring as well.

Remove all your crap from the console storage. Remove the little rubber tabs are take any screws out, then remove inside tray (94-98), (99-04 has no tray that comes comes out).

Raise handbrake, lower the front of the center console and raise the back of the console to extract the handbrake from the console and the leather sheath.

Whole replacement including the rewind of the handbrake spring all took 1 hour.

There is a trick to the spring.

I'll explain.

Exhibit A
handbrake01.jpg

Twist in this direction to wind up the spring.
handbrake02.jpg

As you wind the crescent pulley that the cable rides in, you'll notice a small hole that goes through the assembly. Wind the pulley real hard and then JAM a nail or small screw driver through the hole until locks behind the L shaped end on the spring's guide bracket that stops the spring's attachment from unwinding again with the spring. (I stuck a skinny allen key in there)
handbrake03.jpg

Here is the L shaped edge that my allen key was resting against in order to prevent the spring from unwinding. Leave it in there for now until you are done re-installing the complete assembly as explained above.
handbrake04.jpg

I then attached the new cable into the slot on the pulley, slid the cable's black leveller through the opening in the hump (go side ways, then let it unfold after it passes through), and let it dangle below. I then snapped/locked in the rubber accordion boot to the square'ish hole, and then bolted down the handbrake assembly to the hump with the 2 screws.

Jack the car up.

Slide underneath and remove the old leveller with the snapped cable and install the new one [You do not have to remove/unbolt anything underneath the car].(This part took me about 2 minutes).

I then went back inside the car, pulled out the allen key, the spring unwound to it's normal tight position, and my handbrake job was done.

Installation is the reverse of the removal.

I was gonna take a photo of the allen key in the hole, but a friend called me at that moment and I lost my train of thought..(sorry mangs!)

:rockon:

Last edited:

Hybbs

Established Member
My cable broke right after I bought the car. Looked all over for OEM replacement. Took it into work(I'm a Ea-6b jet mechanic). My co-worker replaces all the throttle cables and is a wiz at making them. Grabbed an old Ea-6b throttle cable, cut it to length, re-swedged it. I now how have a jet brake cable, I think my car is a little faster. BTW, made two of them if anybody needs one.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
My cable broke right after I bought the car. Looked all over for OEM replacement. Took it into work(I'm a Ea-6b jet mechanic). My co-worker replaces all the throttle cables and is a wiz at making them. Grabbed an old Ea-6b throttle cable, cut it to length, re-swedged it. I now how have a jet brake cable, I think my car is a little faster. BTW, made two of them if anybody needs one.

+1 For our Armed Services being kind enough to donate parts for our cars lol. Im still trying to manufacture/fabricate a way to install my cockpit seat that I have lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread