Has anyone done an IRS rear end swap in their Fox Body or 93 Cobra on here?

Svt50Cobra

Crazy 93 Cobra Poster
Established Member
I am about to install a IRS out of a 04 Cobra into a 93 Cobra has anyone on here done it yet if so how hard? I have a friend that installed on into his 95 Cobra and it basically bolted right up I am just wondering if anyone on here has done it to their fox body if so post up some pictures. Thanks for any help! Eddie

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I have seen pictures of one done on a fox... might be able to google it. I don't like the look on a fox body because it pushes the wheels so far out. The 99-04 width is even wider than the 93 Cobra/94-98 Mustang by another 1/2" per side. You will have to run a custom wheel with a lot of offset to keep the wheel under the wheel well.

As far as attachment points I would think it would be an easy bolt in. You might have to get a custom built driveshaft due to length differences???

SVTHII

Banned
I got done helping my girl with her's over the winter. It was pretty straight forward except for some welding.

The bolt holes where the secondary dampeners bolt to the frame don't line up with the bracket from the IRS so that has to be welded.

Also, you have to pull the yoke off your solid and install it on the terminator diff if you want to use your stock driveline.

Other than those two things and some brake line and e brake cable swaps, it's quite litteraly bolt on.

Last edited:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
REVIVING... going to do this swap (hopefully) next week. I should have a youtube video doc when Im done. I think I've seen all there is to see in cyberworld--time to jump in. Using the IRS from a 2001--this was the upgraded 31 spline half shafts- not quite as strong as the 03-04, but better than the 99. This rear has the same size pinion flange as the fox so no reflanging or ds yoke swaps. Will post up soon...

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I just put one in back in january. look on page 8 of the following link for the IRS install.

[ame="http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141915"]CLICK HERE[/ame]

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
MikeC the link was excellent! I couldn't read it at work cause its blocked... I did it today (the swap). I was gonna make a major deal (video) out of it-- but you guys have already covered it... I did the rear subframe mod like the gent on the modded forum: I added a tab so that I could use the factory quad shock bolts. I was unable to get the brake line I needed to run it in front of the shock but how my 98 cobra rear end install had the brake line, it runs in front the shock and ever-so-carefully snakes its way around the upper control arm... I will watch VERY CAREFULLY! Thanks for all of the info and much props to mouthbreather racing and everyone else whose work i honorably 'borrowed'. The install went as scheduled with no issues that werent foreseen and took me all of eight hours.... By myself. With only a pair of pliers. Just kidding. Thanks for all of your information!

Last edited:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Just finished the conversion (exhaust and final stuff)--night and day ride difference! The swap was really a breeze. I may have missed it; which rear spring works best with this swap so that im not doing the 'rear skyjacker' look...

Last edited:

01HDSC

Established Member
Just finished mine except exhaust and wheels that i plan on running. For now have 96 GT "Tri-star" wheels 17x8 w 245's and they fit just need to roll the lip. Ill post pics when i get my wheels. It was pretty simple besides the flare i had to do on the main line under the car!POS!

Users who are viewing this thread