Have the Cobra R's become the forgotten Mustang?

nmp1

Established Member
In this tight nit group of R owners this might seem crazy to imagine such a special group of cars to becoming lost to the sands of time. When the R’s came out they were all over the covers of every car magazine and they would get nothing but praise from all who drove them. I have had my YouTube page for a little while now and I have done a bunch of videos with my 2000 R and the most common comment I get is people saying they never knew this car existed. From an average person I would expect that but it’s usually from someone with mustang pictures or videos in their own channel. Even when I go to car shows I always have people ask things like, “where did you get that wing” or “what do you mean this thing is stock”. Could it be from the production numbers being so low? Are people focused on the newer stuff now?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
its been a long time since they received any coverage, most of them are hidden away and never seen. Now at car shows Id imagine its much more of the age group of people that wouldn't have seen the press coverage they got at the time. If you just search for information on the Cobra and don't include the "R" Id bet the terminator results far overwhelm the R results.

comprepsvo

Established Member
As you guys have stated about the R cars I agree for example, last weekend at the Chattanooga World of Wheels, I had my 93 and 00R cars in the show. Both had display boards detailing specifics about each year. Even though Chattanooga is a GM town, it was amazing the number of people who did not know about both cars. I had seveal to ask me , both of these cars are stock from the factory? Only the die hard Ford guys knew what they were along with my SSC Saleen that was in the display also. The "educated" kids of today have no idea on these rare and fantastic factory cars.

fitforspeed

Established Member
In this tight nit group of R owners this might seem crazy to imagine such a special group of cars to becoming lost to the sands of time. When the R’s came out they were all over the covers of every car magazine and they would get nothing but praise from all who drove them. I have had my YouTube page for a little while now and I have done a bunch of videos with my 2000 R and the most common comment I get is people saying they never knew this car existed. From an average person I would expect that but it’s usually from someone with mustang pictures or videos in their own channel. Even when I go to car shows I always have people ask things like, “where did you get that wing” or “what do you mean this thing is stock”. Could it be from the production numbers being so low? Are people focused on the newer stuff now?

I’d say that only those who aren’t really car people or mustang lovers would the y2kr ever be forgotten. Or maybe it’s just the younger generation that was in diapers when the R came out. Never will I ever forget the R. I remember looking at one in the showroom when they were new. Couldn’t afford one back then, but I wouldn’t mind having a nicely preserved one now. Awesome cars!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You'd have to be a pretty young Stang enthusiast to not know what an R is.
Either that, or they are not really a Mustang enthusiast.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
For me and many other enthusiasts, this is a holy grail car. Or at least on a short list of cars you always wanted but never thought you’d own.
As stated above, I think it’s a generational issue with people not knowing about these cars.

The 00R is overshadowed by the newer crazy HP performance cars of today, but purists and real enthusiasts recognize what that car meant when it came out and will always have an affinity for them. I certainly will try to buy one some day to add to my collection, but have to get that GT500 first.

Established Member
Back in the early 80s a hertz Shelby wasn't that big of a deal, nor were the 65 and R cars compared to a few years later.

Recon

Established Member
Can’t speak from a Cobra R standpoint but we have a vehicle that’s equally as rare if not rarer, that has a similar situation. Not many people know of a Slantnose at hardly any of the shows. Given being in Bow Tie country I doubt if anyone here knows of anything that’s not a Chevy. Even had someone ask me what a Porsche was at one show.
You just got to keep in mind that the newest Cobra R is 18 years old and there’s only 300. As stated most are tucked away, but some actually get used. My generation (millennial, sucks I know) seems to be focused on the latest and greatest, with very little thought or consideration for the older models. Unless it’s a famous model, Terminator.

Pick your poison.

nmp1

Established Member

Agreed, the 00R is not that old. I’m in my early 30s and have always know about it. The new edge series was very successful and had a lot of great models that brought it into the spot light, especially the terminator. The people that grew up with these cars in high school are of age now and you think there would be a bigger desire for them.

TFStang

Established Member
It’s a mixed bag when people see these cars. Either they can’t believe they are seeing one live and in person and it’s the first one they have seen live, or they have no idea what the car is or that it was ever made. I typically get asked if it’s real or a clone. I was still in school when the 00R came out, so it was out of reach for a while, but have had 3 since.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Exactly my thinking. Just seems incomprehensible to forget or not know the 2000 Cobra R.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Performance is what gets the press and attention. These newer cars were unthinkable 15 years ago when the Rs were fresh. Couple that with super low production and collectors putting them in garages and very few are out there for the public to see.

The Rs are the ONLY factory built street legal race cars of the modern era. After these cars, the race cars became models offered through Ford Racing but no VIN or steet legal ability. They truly are unique vehicles that have a special place in the history of the Mustang. Problem is, the public just doesn't know.

For me, I have two race cars, chassis 24 and 69. I would love to get a street legal model to drive on the street.

Tom

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I look at this from a slightly different perspective... I like that the vast majority don’t know what it is. Most people think it’s just a New Edge Stang with a big fin slapped on the back. I’m actually quite happy with that. It’s really because it (the 2000R) was such a low-volume halo specialty car that the masses aren’t familiar. Most are familiar with the infamous Terminators. They were also made by the tens of thousands. Terminators are great cars, but seeing one in the wild is not a “holy shit” moment. I bought my 00R sight unseen. When it arrived on a semi at my house, it was the first time I had seen one in person. It was truly a “HOLY SHIT” moment!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I look at this from a slightly different perspective... I like that the vast majority don’t know what it is. Most people think it’s just a New Edge Stang with a big fin slapped on the back. I’m actually quite happy with that. It’s really because it (the 2000R) was such a low-volume halo specialty car that the masses aren’t familiar. Most are familiar with the infamous Terminators. They were also made by the tens of thousands. Terminators are great cars, but seeing one in the wild is not a “holy shit” moment. I bought my 00R sight unseen. When it arrived on a semi at my house, it was the first time I had seen one in person. It was truly a “HOLY SHIT” moment!
Yup I completely agree, when people see a 93R, 95R, or a 2000R and know what it is, it's a holy shit moment, there is a local guy were I live that has a 2000 R that's turboed. It's a little ruff but still cool as hell to see it driving around. I would love to own a 2000 R someday.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I think they are almost too rare. I think this is also why they dont command a stronger value. I think its strange that only the 93's value exceeds its sticker price.

Cobramustang1993

Established Member

Cobramustang1993

Established Member

Cobramustang1993

Established Member

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
....They were also made by the tens of thousands. Terminators are great cars, but seeing one in the wild is not a “holy shit” moment. I bought my 00R sight unseen. When it arrived on a semi at my house, it was the first time I had seen one in person. It was truly a “HOLY SHIT” moment!

This x10.

Have to imagine my reaction would be the same if I were ever lucky enough to buy one (let alone SEE one in the wild).

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
....They were also made by the tens of thousands. Terminators are great cars, but seeing one in the wild is not a “holy shit” moment. I bought my 00R sight unseen. When it arrived on a semi at my house, it was the first time I had seen one in person. It was truly a “HOLY SHIT” moment!

This x10.

Have to imagine my reaction would be the same if I were ever lucky enough to buy one (let alone SEE one in the wild).

Users who are viewing this thread