Headers rattling?

FreshKill420

Established Member
I just finished installing pipes headers which sound awesome but it looks like my headers are rattling on something. Seems more pronounce on passenger side. My guess is the heat shields. Will it be okay to remove these? Any suggestions where else or how to find the rattling?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Make sure all of your clamps are away from the body of the car. Easiest way to do this is to ensure the head of your bolts are facing up and the nuts are on the bottom. Also, check the rest of your exhaust, its possible that when you installed your headers you may have messed up the alignment of the rest of the system.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Could be the flex section on the midpipe if you have it. Had an issue with it, but it went away on its own somehow. +1 for checking the OTA pipes.

Stang Lover

Established Member
After a few heat cycles sometimes they will need to be tightened down again. Mine didn't rattle but when I went to re-tighten them again 1 week after install they had a few more turns left in them.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I had to tighten mine after a few heat cycles. After that, everything is tight. You might have to wiggle a few exhaust parts to see if you can replicate the noise OP. Do you hear it while idling or driving or both?

FreshKill420

Established Member
The clamp from the collector to the x pipe was causing the worse of the rattling. It didn't have enough clearance. There is still a rattle from some where. It happens even when idle

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

FreshKill420

Established Member
I doubled checked every bolt and nut to make sure they were snug. Not OTAs. It sounds like the primaries are rattling on each other but can't be certain. Only happens from passenger side. Any other ideas?

I am thinking about welding the gaps in the flex to prevent it from moving so I don't have to cut it out. Doubt it will solve my rattle though. It doesn't sound like it comes from there. I also going to take off passenger heat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

FreshKill420

Established Member
It is definitely not rubbing on anything. My guess it is the flex. I called pypes and they confirmed its a known issue. It seems to be going a way after a week of driving. May just cut it out and weld in new section.

Users who are viewing this thread