Help 99 cobra will not start!!!!

cnason3

I was able to get some time on it this weekend. was able to connect scan tool and it shows no codes but say's ccrm is ok and all other systems seem to be ok. I think it's something with the pats system as the theft light is on solid all the time. still no action from the dash though except for the dummy lights across the bottom and of course that damn theft light. it's getting spark and I just replaced the fuel pump. but the fuel system is not pressurizing witch is what makes me think it's the pats. is it possible for the dash to lose programing if the battery is left disconnected or dead for an extended period of time

52merc

Established Member
I don't think that leaving the battery disconnected should have any effect on the instrument cluster memory. I park my car for the winter and for several years have removed the battery for 4 or 5 months without problems.

cnason3

after reading a little more more I think I will either need a tuner able to turn off the pat's or have ford do a reset. the battery is brand new and fully charged. sure wish I knew a ford tech with a little spare time lol. I am really not liking this pats system.

52merc

Established Member
You could try putting the instrument cluster into self-diagnostic mode to see what happens. Your ignition key code is held in the HEC memory. If that has failed for some reason then PATS will cause a no start.

To enter the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster) instrument cluster self-diagnostic mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (five seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the self-diagnostic mode. Once in tESt mode, each time the SELECT/RESET button is depressed the, self-diagnostic menu will be advanced to the next display. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will then display any stored continuous DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) before proceeding to the next step.

To exit the instrument cluster self-diagnostic mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position of press and hold the SELECT/RESET button for three or more seconds and release.

The first display is GAGE which sweeps the gauges to full, then returns them to the normal level.

Further down are r and EE which are memory tests. Either one saying FAIL is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread