Help: Deciding on buying used or new golf cart.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So my wife and I do quite a bit of golfing, our membership is about 1700 dollars a year. So we like to get in a lot of golf. We have a membership at our local golf country club. Previously we would lease a cart which cost about 770 dollars a season. My wife would rather buy used, but I'm leaning towards a new one now. I'm funding it all on my own. So I'll break it down between the two.

USED:
-Model is 4-6 years old
-It's cheaper initially, I can pay cash. About 3k.
-I'm going electric, batteries can cost 700-800 dollars.
-Cosmetic wear, tires, ect.
-Needs battery charger 250-300 dollars.
-Less to choose from, local place will have 1-2 to pick from.

NEW:
-EZ-GO 2016 or 2017 model.
-Roughly 6,800 dollars
-Will finance about 4,300 dollars.
-0% interest for 24 months.
-4 year warranty.
-Cost more initially.
-Comes with battery charger
-More options, color, usb port, ect.
-Better technology, advanced braking, and charging.
-Payments about 180.00 month.

Those are a few I can think of. If things go bad on a used one I'll have about 4k in it when batteries go, plus needing to buy a charger. The guy I'm dealing with on a used on said the batteries are good, but not new. Generally they last 6-8 years.

Thoughts?

nxhappy

Established Member
6800 OTD? or plus dealer fees and tax? I would go used to save the money ...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
6800 OTD? or plus dealer fees and tax? I would go used to save the money ...
Nope, add 470 for tax. Used one will likely be plan white. New I can pick any color I want. I'm looking at long term, a cart I can have for 10+ years.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
If you can't write it off as a business expense then I would pay cash for the used unit. If you finance, you will be making payments during the off season for an asset you cannot use during the winter months.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you can't write it off as a business expense then I would pay cash for the used unit. If you finance, you will be making payments during the off season for an asset you cannot use during the winter months.
If you aren't golfing in the winter, you simply aren't dedicated enough.

nxhappy

Established Member
with used you are saving more than 50%....and you wouldn't have to finance. seems like a no brainer to me

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you aren't golfing in the winter, you simply aren't dedicated enough.
I wouldn't call it not dedicated enough, it's living in Minnesota. We golf 3-4 days a week.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Batteries cost over $800, so you mostly golf at 1 Course?

Edit: I'm just saying they are expensive to maintain but if you're spending most of your time at 1 course then I would make the investment.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Batteries cost over $800, so you mostly golf at 1 Course?

Yes, 6 Trojan batteries can cost up to that. I primarily golf at my local course it's only about a mile from my house.

I'm leaning towards a used one. Found a 09 Yamaha, 1 owner. They are asking 3,350.

nxhappy

Established Member
you also have to factor in depreciation for a new one. After you buy it, it will tank after 1-2 years. it's not like a car or a motorcycle. So basically your $8000 ride loses $4000 in value after slight use.

beeradd

Established Member
I will also add the 6-8 years is kinda stretching it a bit on battery life...
If you can find used with new batteries it is worth a look.
I bought new batteries about 4 years ago for around 800 and I can tell now they are not quite what they used to be but are still fine.
Electric is the way to go,but I like how quiet and low maintenance they are.
Use mine around my farm for maintenance/work/fun...

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Financing something like a golf cart seems like a terrible idea. I would go with a used one that's paid for. Even if you have to buy batteries at some point, that's only 4 months worth of payments on a new one to keep it going for several more years.

Rule of thumb I go by, if it can't be justified as being necessary (aka a house or primary car) or isn't going to make you money, then you shouldn't go into debt for it.

nate

Established Member
FYI, samsclub has golf cart batteries for $85 a piece, and chargers for $100. It was going to be $650 for my parents cart, 6 batteries and a charger. That makes it a little less than the $1000 you are budgeting.

Users who are viewing this thread