help needed cant pass nj inspection

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
i have an 03 cobra and cant get catalyst monitor to run. 1st step i took was took of the bassani xpipe with cats and swapped them for the stock h pipe well no luck still. going to try to swap rear 02 sensors for new ones. Now all the monitors are on in the tune and the car has an egr delete kit so i know that monitor wont set but does anyone have any ideas how to set the cat monitor so it will show ready. please help. drove over 200 miles and never got any codes or check engine light.

Last edited:

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I do this on my Lightning every 2 years. I just did the drive cycle for the Catalyst monitor 2 weeks ago and it closed. Went to NJ inspection last Saturday and passed. Just driving the car does not get the Catalyst monitor to be ready. You need to follow the drive cycle for the Catalyst monitor. Its pretty easy. Fill gas tank between 1/2 and 3/4. When driving the car after it reaches operating temp. use light throttle and speeds between 25 and 45 mph for at least 15 minutes or longer. Vary the speeds for the whole time. It will work. You can find the Ford drive cycle for the catalyst monitor online. Just Google it. You will PASS NJ inspection with one monitor not ready. I can never get my Evap monitor ready on my 04 Lightning but I still pass.

Last edited:

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
I do this on my Lightning every 2 years. I just did the drive cycle for the Catalyst monitor 2 weeks ago and it closed. Went to NJ inspection last Saturday and passed. Just driving the car does not get the Catalyst monitor to be ready. You need to follow the drive cycle for the Catalyst monitor. Its pretty easy. Fill gas tank between 1/2 and 3/4. When driving the car after it reaches operating temp. use light throttle and speeds between 25 and 45 mph for at least 15 minutes or longer. Vary the speeds for the whole time. It will work. You can find the Ford drive cycle for the catalyst monitor online. Just Google it. You will PASS NJ inspection with one monitor not ready. I can never get my Evap monitor ready on my 04 Lightning but I still pass.
so does it matter that i have no egr? its shut off in tune but that would not affect catalyst monitor test from running would it? i appreciate the response. also i did a 10 minute drive cycle when warm started at 25 for two minutes then 30 for two minutes all the way up to 45 for two minutes for a total of ten minutes and would not set.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
so does it matter that i have no egr? its shut off in tune but that would not affect catalyst monitor test from running would it? i appreciate the response. also i did a 10 minute drive cycle when warm started at 25 for two minutes then 30 for two minutes all the way up to 45 for two minutes for a total of ten minutes and would not set.

Eric, nice talking with you. Hope you get that resolved quickly. I will try and get to the Goshen show. Sounds good. I have to stop by and meet Bill one day since he is a few houses away. Talk to you soon.

Steve

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
Eric, nice talking with you. Hope you get that resolved quickly. I will try and get to the Goshen show. Sounds good. I have to stop by and meet Bill one day since he is a few houses away. Talk to you soon.

Steve
thanks steve i will keep you posted on my results!!! need that damm cat monitor to pass and im sure alot of guys in nj will be going through this since nj changed the emission laws as of sept 09 where they do the obd2 emission monitor test alot of guys like me are going to have big problems passing now.

03yellowconv

1fstcbra
Established Member
drive cycle still did not work. does anyone here have an egr delete on there 03 or 04 cobra and still get the cat monitor to set i would really appreciate the information,

Users who are viewing this thread