Help with Gear Change/Tune

Khemical_Khaos

I have a 2004 Automatic Mach 1. I am changing out the stock 3.55s, diff, and axles with 4.10s, 31 spline diff, and axles.

When I get the car back from the shop, will I be able to drive it away no problem or will the transmission be shifting at weird (incorrect) shift points? I dont really care about the Speedometer right now, Im just wondering if everything else will function right for me to drive the car home properly.

If I buy a tuner, can I just use it to change the calibration to 4.10s or will it mandate that I install a full tune that changes the parameters of everything else?

I have no idea how this stuff works, I just want the gears in the car.

Mattstang04

Established Member
Car will run fine after the swap. Only it will be a lot more fun. You can change the speedometer with a hand held tune without changing anything else if you don't want to. Get them gears, tune in the speedometer and get to destroying tires.

Khemical_Khaos

Car will run fine after the swap. Only it will be a lot more fun. You can change the speedometer with a hand held tune without changing anything else if you don't want to. Get them gears, tune in the speedometer and get to destroying tires.
Thanks man. I guess I heard wrong that the tranny will be shifting at weird points after the gear install.

Mattstang04

Established Member
It might shift a little different especially around town but that's because the deep gears will make it very easy for your transmission to do it's job. Its nothing that would have a negative effect. Just steep gears ding what they do. Probably skip you the higher gears faster unless your putting the pedal down and winding it all the way up.

Users who are viewing this thread