High boost TVS guys in here please

MalcolmV8

Established Member
FYI.....The pump is from Stewart and they are all the "hotrodded" version now. Stewart reprograms the pumps themselves.

--Joe

In theory the EMP pumps are even better stock now than the old lingenfelter reprogrammed versions. Back when they were shipping programmed at 9 amps lingenfelter was reprogramming them to 19 amps and selling them for a premium. EMP caught on and now ships them programmed at 25 amps from the factory.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
You'd be surprised. I ran a very aggressive upper/lower setup on my Eaton and never had an issue with heat but this TVS just runs so much hotter than my Eaton did and my intercooler system is vastly superior now too.

--Joe

Joe, I’m definitely having the flange milled down very soon, just put the car away today from the northern salt fest. I just commend you on your tenacity to find the source of your questions was a design over site, for that I thank you because you saved me from pulling out my remaining hair plugs when our iat2 would have gone up.

Soap

Established Member
Joe, I’m definitely having the flange milled down very soon, just put the car away today from the northern salt fest. I just commend you on your tenacity to find the source of your questions was a design over site, for that I thank you because you saved me from pulling out my remaining hair plugs when our iat2 would have gone up.

No problem, happy to help, I love doing this stuff.

The intent of me posting my findings was not to point a finger or tell people what they should do. I just wanted to show the facts. If people decide to mill the blower, great.....if not that is fine too. To each his own.

--Joe

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Any possibility of modifying an IAT2 sensor or finding an aftermarket replacement so that it'll sit farther into the airstream? Given that it'll take me several hours to remove the blower, several hours to reinstall it, plus whatever a machine shop charges, I'd happily pay a hundred bucks for a sensor that would give accurate IAT2 temps and negate the need for the blower R&R.

Soap

Established Member
You can try but I didn't see a way without doing it "half assed". The sensor has a plastic cage around it so you have to trim that off then you have to figure out how to extend the wire itself, which there is zero slack. I did not find an aftermarket sensor that was for IAT and MAP like ours, maybe you can though.

--Joe

mnetwork

Established Member
Any possibility of modifying an IAT2 sensor or finding an aftermarket replacement so that it'll sit farther into the airstream? Given that it'll take me several hours to remove the blower, several hours to reinstall it, plus whatever a machine shop charges, I'd happily pay a hundred bucks for a sensor that would give accurate IAT2 temps and negate the need for the blower R&R.

You can try but I didn't see a way without doing it "half assed". The sensor has a plastic cage around it so you have to trim that off then you have to figure out how to extend the wire itself, which there is zero slack. I did not find an aftermarket sensor that was for IAT and MAP like ours, maybe you can though.

--Joe

I actually got very close a few weeks ago. I went and purchased the cheapest one I could find on eBay. Extended it, used epoxy and scrap plastic to extend the cage, and tried to install it after letting it cure and grinding down some of the excess epoxy. The one I bought had a slightly thicker o-ring which made it harder to go in. I tried tapping it in at an angle and that caused the epoxy to crack. Nothing fell in and I just put the old sensor back. Here are pics. I was very upset because I didn't realize how annoying it was to get to that sensor with everything together (and with EGR). I'm considering buying a matching OEM one and trying one more time. I only lost about $15 on the last one.

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_100922.jpg
    IMG_20171111_100922.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20171111_101133.jpg
    IMG_20171111_101133.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20171111_103557.jpg
    IMG_20171111_103557.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 20171201_155340.jpg
    20171201_155340.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 159

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I actually got very close a few weeks ago. I went and purchased the cheapest one I could find on eBay. Extended it, used epoxy and scrap plastic to extend the cage, and tried to install it after letting it cure and grinding down some of the excess epoxy. The one I bought had a slightly thicker o-ring which made it harder to go in. I tried tapping it in at an angle and that caused the epoxy to crack. Nothing fell in and I just put the old sensor back. Here are pics. I was very upset because I didn't realize how annoying it was to get to that sensor with everything together (and with EGR). I'm considering buying a matching OEM one and trying one more time. I only lost about $15 on the last one.

You might be on to something there...

MalcolmV8

Established Member

I certainly applaud the effort but I'd also be very cautious going that route. Luckily the epoxy cracked on installation and not later sending debris through the motor. You could be pulling off a lot more than the blower to fix it.

mnetwork

Established Member
I certainly applaud the effort but I'd also be very cautious going that route. Luckily the epoxy cracked on installation and not later sending debris through the motor. You could be pulling off a lot more than the blower to fix it.

Yeah, I think it was more a result of me tapping on the sensor. The sensor I bought was a much tighter fit with that o-ring than the stock one. I'm thinking about trying again with the exact same one. Now that it is cold IAT2 temps are always well below the threshold, but still would like to get it done before it gets too cold to work on the car.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I’d love a longer sensor option but I would not be comfortable with modding a sensor for the reasons Malcolm posted. My blower is coming off within the next couple of weeks for Justin’s Intercooler mod. I’ll be milling down the boss for the sensor at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member

That's a very good point, and something I was thinking about as well.

Screw it, maybe I should just plan to pull the blower again.

Users who are viewing this thread